by carken1 Investigator
Investigator

S8 no svoice

My other half has a Bluetooth enabled motorcycle helmet which he used successfully to make calls with his Samsung S6. He now has an S8 and in order to make a voice call with his helmet he has to open Bixby or personal assistant which means pressing a button so it isn't handsfree.

Does anyone know of an app which would enable him to make calls truly handsfree as he did before? He is able to voice answer a call but not make one.

Thanks in advance.

11 REPLIES 11
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: S8 no svoice

Hi, 

S Voice is no longer available on the S8 as it was replaced by Bixby as you have identified. The S voice service is what used on the S6 & S7.

Can you not activate voice mode/commands,  or something similar under the settings - accessibility or similar?

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by carken1 Investigator
Investigator

Hi. Thanks for your reply. I've just gone through everything on the phone and there isn't anything to use. I read a post from the wife of a paraplegic who has no arms or hands.... he's totally lost without it. Samsung should have left svoice on, not everyone needs or wants the new features....good as they may be. Hopefully they'll see fit to bring an app or widget to be able to use svoice again.
As for me, to make a call I'll have to stop and dial. Technology going backwards.
Cheers for your help, it's much appreciated.
by
EE Community Support Team

Welcome back to the community, @carken1.

As this is a handset feature, it may be worth contacting Samsung directly to see if there are any alternatives.

If you find a way of doing this, please let us know..

Chris

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

You can activate Bixby by saying Hi Bixby

And then say what number you want to dial or what contact within your contacts to call.

You don't need to press the Bixby button.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by carken1 Investigator
Investigator

Hello Chris, thanks for your reply.
I sent a message to Samsung yesterday evening and received a reply this morning. They have no plans to bring back svoice and said thank you for my feedback. That was it...no suggestions of an alternative or even a mention of an apology for the inconvenience caused by the removal of svoice. Disappointed with their response and makes me feel like going back to an S6.
Kind regards
by carken1 Investigator
Investigator

Hi Brendon
I'll give it a go and see how I get on with it. I contacted Samsung but they never mentioned using Bixby like that. In fact they weren't very helpful at all.
Kind regards

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Bixby at the minute is very limited but it' a new AI and Samsung has to evolve it more.

I never used S Voice but I am using Bixby.

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Come to think of it @carken1 the S8 also has Google Assistant.

Long press the home button to activate it to set it up. You an then say OK Google then say what you want. Obviously if Bixby doesn' work for you.

by carken1 Investigator
Investigator

Thanks Brendon.

I'll have a play around and see how I get on. I'll sit in my living room with my helmet on and phone my wife! Should be good for a laugh at least.

Kind regards

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

No problem.

Do let us know how you get on.

by Bosshogg Established Contributor
Established Contributor

It's actually things like this that bixby is designed for. More about phone control than anything else.

There are some great guide out there with example commands etc. But yes you can ask it to call someone very easily.

Electronic Engineer by day.
Geek by night.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.