by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

S8 S-View flip case review

Ok wanting a case of my S8 just in case i do drop it I had a good look around before opting for the official S8 S-view flip case.   I had a couple of generic cases for my S6 which were pretty good really, fit fine and felt decent to hold.   Previously on my HTC One I had an official case which was premium quality and really nice.  

I had a discount voucher so decided to opt for the S-view official Samsung case.    The first thing you will notice about this case is the price.  £50 for a case, wow it must be special!.  It promises integration with your S8 via NFC to show notifications   You can forgive people who have bought this case for getting hold if it and it not meeting their expectations.  IMO Samsung are not really too clear on how "much" integration this case has.  In fact very little to be brutally honest - i'll explain more below.   

The case feels very nice to the touch, premium materials have been used and the fit as expected is perfect.  The front is a smokey translucent plastic affair which is a bit of a fingerprint magnet and the rear is a smooth dull black/dark grey on the black unit I selected.  The handset presses into place and is held in nicely by plastic cornered edging which in my opinion comes a little too far up the sides of the "Edge" of the phone along the vertical sides - I would have liked this to be cut a little lower along the sides like a couple of cheap ebay cases I have seen that do cater for the Edge screens. It would be a matter of 1MM lower to still hold the phone in the case but look a lot smoother on the handset. 

The case is sleek and the insert that touches the screen is soft and rubbery to the touch.  It has a small NFC disc to the bottom right inside whch tells the phone it has been closed. I'm concerned that this may get dirt or grit stuck to the rubber and possibly scratch the screen though.  I'm a little paranoid about cleaning it at the moment as I have had dirt stuck like this already. 

As soon as you insert the phone into the case it pops up a notification which basically takes you to the theme store to choose a matching theme.  Not what I was too bothered about personally but It at least shows that the phone has found the case and momentarily you are impressed.   Each time you close the flip front the case briefly displays the date and time through the smoked plastic front.  It kind of cheats here as it's not the case that is displaying anything but rather your phone is showing a bright form of the AOD display for a moment.  It then reverts back to the normal AOD screen saver form that is dull and you cannot see very well through the plastic front.  I thought something was wrong with my case but it actually is meant to do that, it doesnt integrate with AOD very well at all and AOD should probably be switched off.  Certainly not how I or many others expected it to integrate anyway. It doesnt even display the alternate AOD screen savers that you can choose which is very annoying.  I have mine set to an analog clock AOD but when the case is closed it forces AOD to go back to the standard digital.  No idea why because it's not like it shows it any brighter than normal after the initial closure and you would think it would just show the AOD theme you have selected.

If you get a message the same brighter display pops up for a second and an icon is lit.  If you receive a call you can actually swipe to answer and you do not have to open the case.  There is a little slot at the top so you can hear people and take calls.   Other than that there is no other display integration with this case.   I think people were expecting a little bit more.  We have just received an update to AOD on 1st June which takes integration this far so maybe, just maybe, they might make it do a little more.  

I'm certainly not going to do a drop test - I have to pay for all this gear myself and this is not a pro review but rather my own musings.  It is said to offer medium drop resistance. I dont intend to drop it but i'll let you know if it saves me in the future. 

The case has a flip stand built in which clips into place with an edge magnet.  Works pretty well and easy to use if you want to watch videos. 

Pro's:

Fits perfectly

NFC integration

Looks great

Premium materials.

Integrated stand. 

Doesnt inhibit camera or fingerprint sensor

Can answer a call without opening case

Cons:

Price!!  It is totally not worth the money.  C'mon Samsung.  Ebay have cheap knock off's online already for about £8 delivered.  Surely it doesnt cost £50 on top of a £650+ phone??

NFC integration - Not enough of it really. I get that is doesnt have it's own powered screen etc but I would think it would be able to shut off the dull AOD whilst it's on or maybe tap it to bring up the time.

Sides hinder Edge display slightly. They need to be cut lower.

Front inside edge rubbery feel collects grit. 

Dirt collects in the curved edge because as above the sides need to be cut about 1MM lower for proper integration. 

S8 S-View Clip case

11 REPLIES
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: S8 S-View flip case review

Hi @terracuk and welcome to the community.

This is a brilliant and very honest review Smiley Happy

Many thanks,

Lee

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Could you share a picture(s) of it on your phone? I was thinking of getting one myself but after that review maybe not. Also was thinking about the LED Cover.

Brendon (Android Expert)
Samsung Galaxy S8+ (Oreo 8.0)
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Thank you.

Still left me undecided to whether or not get the led version.

I have a 5% voucher for Samsung.com which I need to use so may butr the bullet.

Brendon (Android Expert)
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

I have bought the LED cover and will review it after a few days usage.

Brendon (Android Expert)
by
EE Community Support Team

Do let us know when it is online @BrendonH

Cheers

Lee

by Calumbo
Explorer

Brendon did you do a review of the LED cover for the S8?

I'm in a simmiler position that you where trying to decide between the two but after reading the above review i'm leaning more towards the LED cover. 

Cheers. 

Highlighted
by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

As a follow up to my initial review.  DO NOT BUY THIS COVER.  

It scratches your screen.   Where the small disc is that lets the NFC detect that the case is closed I have scratches appeared.  Looking online many other people also have this issue.  There doesnt appear to have been anything stuck dirt wise but either way it shouldnt be happening.  Never had a problem with premium flip cases from HTC or Sony previously.  In fact i've never had this problem with cheap ebay cases that i've used on my S6 so for £50 i'm pretty pissed!! 

Also there is an issue with the soft rubber on the left side of the flip cover, it is now coming off and marking the screen.  As it is soft rubber it does clean off but you will find a couple of times a day you are having to clean the rubber off the screen.   This is after a year of use.   Certainly not premium and not worth the money that Samsung want for this case.  

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@Calumbowrote:

Brendon did you do a review of the LED cover for the S8?

I'm in a simmiler position that you where trying to decide between the two but after reading the above review i'm leaning more towards the LED cover. 

Cheers. 

No sorry @Calumbo I never got round to it at the time then totally forgot to.

The LED cover is not worth the full price. The only good thing about it is that you can make your own notification drawings.

So as my wife loves unicorns I drew a unicorn so when she rings me the case shows the unicorn so I know it is her ringing.

Not worth the full price but then I didn' pay full price as I got a voucher due to Samsung and UK Mail messing up the delivery of my phone.

Brendon (Android Expert)
by Calumbo
Explorer

I've found the LED Cover for around £30 so i'll go for that, from the sound of things the Clear View isnt up much when it comes to protection! 

Trying to find something that looks decent and actually protects the phone seems to be dificult!

Thanks for the help. 

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

This won't protect from a drop.

Brendon (Android Expert)
Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.