by wullbert Investigator
Investigator

S7 and S7 Edge 7.0 Nougat Update

The 7.0 Nougat update has been live for over a week now for S7 and S7 Edge's, with Vodafone already releasing it to there customers. As the largest mobile phone provider in the uk; when will Nougat be released on EE phones?

Before you answer:

1. I know how to check for updates in the settings

2. I'm asking WHEN it will be released

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by wullbert Investigator
Investigator
Solution

Re: Android 7.0 Nougat on Samsung s7 Edge

Looks like the OTA update has started reaching some contracted EE models today after a 2 month wait.

21 REPLIES 21
by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Hi Guys,

Samsung have officially released Android 7.0 Nougat for the unbranded Samsung Galaxy S7 Flat & EDGE model. EE Wi-Fi calling does indeed work but NOT 4G Calling (VoLTE). It does not matter if your device is locked to EE as the BTU firmware will still accept your EE sim.

You can download the firmware from SamMobile:

Galaxy S7 FLAT - SM-G930F: https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/download/120140/G930FXXU1DPLT_G930FOXA1DPLT_BTU/

Remember that manually flashing your device to BTU WILL factory reset the device so be sure to make a full backup with Samsung Smart Switch and you are good to go!
by SunnyP888
Explorer

Will carrying out the manual BTU firmware update for Nougat create a risk of access to certain apps. Main ones being banking apps. I  know Barclays dont like rooted apps. Using Odin wont mean rooting but would this create a risk of the app not working.

Can someone confirm the manual BTU firmware update still allows banking apps to work normal?

SunnyP888

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Hi, I personally use BTU Samsung firmware and mobile banking will work 100% guaranteed. Remember BTU firmware is not carrier modified so it's more "pure" firmware compared to some network bloat firmware.

Remember that manually flashing your device to BTU WILL factory reset the device so be sure to make a full backup with Samsung Smart Switch and you are good to go!

by bussterj
Explorer

How do you get wifi calling working as the option has now disappeared upon installing BTU version!

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Hi, you can enable Wi-Fi calling by doing the following:

> Go to the phone dialler

> In the top right hand corner click on the menu option button next to the microphone (3 vertical dots)

> Select 'Settings'

> Scroll to the bottom of the settings page.

> You will see the option to enable Wi-Fi calling, move the slider to 'ON'.

by webster1986
Visitor

I've installed the firmware and I too have lost the WiFi calling option, simply not present under the phone settings.

Anyone got any suggestions?

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Hi, Did you try the following:

Hi, you can enable Wi-Fi calling by doing the following:

> Go to the phone dialler

> In the top right hand corner click on the menu option button next to the microphone (3 vertical dots)

> Select 'Settings'

> Scroll to the bottom of the settings page.

> You will see the option to enable Wi-Fi calling, move the slider to 'ON'.

by casper181 Investigator
Investigator

I'm on 7.0 and no wifi calling here either. Any ideas? 

by Diveboy Investigator
Investigator

Do not listen to this rubbish. EE should remove this as installing the ROM can and most likely will trip the Knox security which cannot be undone and stops apps such as A Health and banking apps working 

by Diveboy Investigator
Investigator

Are you kidding me. Why is this post still here. Installing this trigger Knox security which can't be undone and stop some apps working on your phone.

by SunnyP888
Explorer

Did and all apps work fine. No knox triggering. So i dont see any rubbish talk here. 

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@SunnyP888 wrote:
Did and all apps work fine. No knox triggering. So i dont see any rubbish talk here. 

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
Thank you for the backup Sunny, as I said earlier this is indeed Official Samsung Untouched Firmware so why would knox  be triggered?
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: S7 and S7 Edge 7.0 Nougat Update

You won't know until EE start force-feeding it. EE never pre-announce OS updates. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Diveboy Investigator
Investigator

Well, it has on mine so people need to be aware it can happen.
My phone was direct from EE (Galaxy S7 Edge).

by Diveboy Investigator
Investigator

I've resolved the issue I had. 

The instructions for install aren't the best use this link once downloaded:
https://www.sammobile.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30800

by pichulec Investigator
Investigator

Diveboy wrote:

Do not listen to this rubbish. EE should remove this as installing the ROM can and most likely will trip the Knox security which cannot be undone and stops apps such as A Health and banking apps working 

Installing official samsung rom will never trip knox. Educate yourself before you post something.

by wullbert Investigator
Investigator
Solution

Looks like the OTA update has started reaching some contracted EE models today after a 2 month wait.

by Joshua111 Established Contributor
Established Contributor

my s7 edge has now received the update after a huge wait 

by leeban96
Visitor

Android Nougat 7.0 received on S7 Edge

I have just manually looked for updates and my S7 edge is now finally updating to Nougat! 

I can confirm that my phone is the model from EE so they must be FINALLY rolling it out!

Happy days guys! 

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.