by tomstickland Investigator
Investigator

S6 with android 7 won't connect to PC

Since the upgrade to 7.0 my phone won't connect to the PC to allow transfer of files. The phone says it's charging by the PC does not recognise it as a device.  I've done some google searching. When I connect the cable I don't get any options for file transfer. If I open the charging notification I don't get any options for file transfer mode. I can't find any options for MTP in the settings. I've tried enabling developer mode and USB debugging but that doesn't make any difference either.

Any ideas?

9 REPLIES 9
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: S6 with android 7 won't connect to PC

@tomstickland the easiest way I can think of is you need to uninstall the driver on the PC for the device so when you connect it again you’ll be presented with the options on what you want to do with the data cable when it's connected again.   

There might be another way though. 

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @tomstickland,

Welcome to the EE Community.

Have you tried using Samsung Kies?

Thanks

James

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi, 

Have you unlocked the phone when its connected to your PC? 

Thanks, 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
Investigator

What do you mean by unlocked? Do you mean having the screen active?

I have a suspicion that the USB socket might be damaged since when I plugged it in to charge last week I had some difficulties.

I'll try it on a Windows 7 machine first.

by
EE Employee

Hi @tomstickland and welcome to the community.

If  your Android system is actingstrange, you might want to clear the system cache.

The most common time this is useful is straight after an Android update, when battery drain, glitches, crashes or other weirdness can occasionally affect your system.

Please follow the below instructions.

1. Turn off your Galaxy S6.

2. Press and hold Power, Volume Up and the Home button.

3. You'll see a blue screen with the Android on it, then you'll be taken to the recovery menu.

4. Use the volume buttons to scroll and highlight Wipe Cache Partition. Press Power to confirm.

5. You'll see a message in yellow at the bottom of the screen when the process is complete.

6. Highlight Reboot System Now and press Power to confirm.

7. Your Galaxy S6 will reboot and recompile all of your apps. It might take a little while to re-cache them all, but once it is done, you should have a Galaxy S6 running as smooth as can be.

Many thanks,

Lee

Investigator

Thanks. I tried that and it didn't work.

I decided to install an app to allow me to connect via WiFi since I suspected that USB port was damaged even though it still allowed charging.

I installed AirDroid. Next time that I plugged a computer USB cable into the phone it recognised it and USB connection was possible. That makes me suspect that this was a software glitch all along.

by
EE Employee

Investigator

It's good to have it working. It doesn't fill me with confidence about the update though.

by
EE Employee

Hi @tomstickland

I will certainly have a word with my device team to see if they have had any reports.

Many thanks,

Lee

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.