by vgt777 Investigator
Investigator

S5 sms fail: "the number you are sending to does not contain the correct.."

I bought a reconditioned S5 recently.  Everything works aprt from outgoing texts.  I get this warning in a grey box below for some numbers I attempt to text.  Other texts appear like they've sent, with a time stamp displayed, but they haven't.

"Class 0 Message Sorry the number you are sending to does not contain the correct number of digits. From Network Msg Save/Cancel"

The only successful outgoing text was one I sent to my own landline, delivered by voice-robot.

The message centre number in the phone is correct and EE has sent the sim recent updates/settings.  The same sim works fine when swapped into my old phone.  I am advised that the next step would be a factory reset, after which the phone would be deemed faulty if the fault persisted.  It seems to scream of something just not quite configured correctly to me, a setting somewhere, but I don't know what.  Please help?

10 REPLIES 10
by
EE Employee

Re: S5 sms fail: "the number you are sending to does not contain the correct.."

Good Afternoon @vgt777

Welcome to he Community! Smiley Happy

I had a customer the other day who was getting the exact same error message but it was just when sending a text to 1 particular number.

How are your contacts stored in the device - is with 0 or +44?

Have you tried sending a text by entering the number manually?

Thanks - Karen. Smiley Happy

by vgt777 Investigator
Investigator

Re: S5 sms fail: "the number you are sending to does not contain the correc

Thanks @Karen_C.  The numbers that seem to be failing are all stored as +447....  When I try a number that's 07..., they seem to be working, at least right now.  The same is true when I type them in manually.

We have had an EE mast problem over the last week (recognised by EE), which has further confused matters, so it's possible I didn't realise that it's only the 0044 ones that have failed at phone level, rather than network/mast failure.

If this is the problem, what is the best soultion please? Do I have to edit all the contacts, when it worked fine on my S3 as they were (07 or +44)?

by
EE Employee

Hi @vgt777

I've had a bit of a search to see if I could find anything and it doesn't appear to be a common issue.

Do you know if the issue has just started happening, around the same time as the network issue?

Thanks - Karen. Smiley Happy

by vgt777 Investigator
Investigator

Hi @Karen_C

The mast/network problem coincided with me getting the new (reconditioned) phone.  However, there is no problem with the same sim put straight into my old S3.  We are now getting a signal again at home, but this issue was the same even when I was at work, with a strong signal right under a mast, while our home signal was still out.

by vgt777 Investigator
Investigator

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi,  

What firmware is your phone running? Type *#1234# and post the three sets of numbers.  

Also:

• Are you an EE pay monthly customer or PAYG?
  • You can also download EE correct SMS settings here which maybe worth doing. 

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by vgt777 Investigator
Investigator

@Northerner

AP: G900FXXU2BOG5

CP: G900FXXU2BOG5

CSC : G900FXXU2BOG5

Pay monthly

PS I notice I get an error when trying to scan for mobile networks; not sure if that's related or not.  All works fine except texts to +44 numbers

by
EE Community Support Team

Hello there @vgt777

Thanks for the information.

I have sent you a private message on here with a link to our chat team.

They will be able to look into this further for you.

Thanks 🙂

by vgt777 Investigator
Investigator

OK, thanks for your replies.  I took up the live chat, but the advice just seems to be a full reset of the phone as the next step.  I have the option to return the phone at the moment, but if I start messing about to that extent, I may complicate my rights.  I was hoping for an isolated fix, but without that, I think it just needs to go back.

by
EE Community Support Team

Best of luck @vgt777

I will pass on this information to @Leanne_T

Thank you for taking the time to come back and update us.

Hope to see you posting in community on a regular basis.

Richard

🙂

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions