by vauxhall Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Reward for safe return of missing ringtones and notifications (S8 Oreo update)

Hey hey

Has anyone seen my stock ringtones?  They went missing last night just after my S8 received the Oreo update.  I've looked everywhere including system folders, but I just can't find them.

With another cold snap forecast I am getting worried for their welfare...  I'm also getting frustrated trying to find out why they aren't where I left them before the update!

Anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks

Worried and concerned of Vauxhall!

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: Reward for safe return of missing ringtones and notifications (S8 Oreo updat

@vauxhall

Right I think I might know what you have done. Go into settings - Apps -Then click on the three dots and choose "reset app preferences" 

Then settings - sounds and vibration = ringtone and they should be a long list of default tones. 

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
12 REPLIES 12
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Reward for safe return of missing ringtones and notifications (S8 Oreo updat

@vauxhall  Welcome back.  Perhaps @BrendonH can help with this.  

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @vauxhall

They are still there under volume settings. If not then try clearing your system cache in recovery and restarting. If that still doesn't work factory reset.

I have also upgraded to Oreo and I have checked, they are still available.

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

Established Contributor

Hi @Northerner

When you say they are 'under volume settings' I'm not sure what you mean...  it's the actual ringtone / notification files I'm missing rather than being able to adjust the volume of them.

Currently I'm able to use the sounds I'd downloaded and been using for the last year, but I can't access any of the stock files.  Yet my alarm clock app can see and use them...

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@vauxhall

If they are not selectable under settings -sound and vibration then clear the system cache under recovery or factory reset. 

Thanks

by Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

@vauxhallwrote:

Hi @Northerner

When you say they are 'under volume settings' I'm not sure what you mean...  it's the actual ringtone / notification files I'm missing rather than being able to adjust the volume of them.

Currently I'm able to use the sounds I'd downloaded and been using for the last year, but I can't access any of the stock files.  Yet my alarm clock app can see and use them...

It should be Settings, Sounds & Vibrations, Ringtone

Or

Settings, Sounds & Vibrations, Notification Sound.

You should then get a list including the system sounds and any you've added. If not then let us know what you do see. 

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @vauxhall,

Did you manage to find your ringtones following the great advice from your fellow community members?

Thanks

James

Highlighted
Established Contributor

When I go into either Ringtone or Notification Sounds under "Sounds and Vibration" I'm offered a list of folders.  The Ringtones and Notification folders have one or two files, not the full list.

I don't have an SD card in the phone, so everything is on the device.

Cheers

by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

@vauxhall

Right I think I might know what you have done. Go into settings - Apps -Then click on the three dots and choose "reset app preferences" 

Then settings - sounds and vibration = ringtone and they should be a long list of default tones. 

Thanks

Established Contributor

Thanks, but what do you think I've done?  I haven't made any changes to settings since the update.

That said, it's worked... now I just have to set up permissions on all the apps again!

Cheers for the help, @Northerner

thanks

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@vauxhall You are more than welcome as that's what this community is about.

This occasionally happens with updates and I have seen it before. It's a strange one as system links shouldn't need or ask for any preferred app to open. You know how to fix it now anyway and the reset app preferences is handy tool.

Thanks.

by
EE Employee

Hi @vauxhall

I'm glad you got sorted using the wonderful advice from @Northerner.

Cheers

Lee

by Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

@Northernerwrote:

@vauxhall You are more than welcome as that's what this community is about.

This occasionally happens with updates and I have seen it before. It's a strange one as system links shouldn't need or ask for any preferred app to open. You know how to fix it now anyway and the reset app preferences is handy tool.

Thanks.

It could be an app. You tap to change a sound in an app, it pops up at the bottom of the screen asking you to choose between the system sound picker or a file manager (like "my files" or "Documents" - so you can navigate to the folder with your custom tone), you accidentally tap "Always" instead of "Just Once" and the handset thinks you want to always use the file manager instead of the system sound picker.

This can be a handy workaround as some Android skins don't have a browse option in the sound picker. (Not the case here)

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions