by Johnryall
Visitor

Recently moved from o2 to ee - now I'm not receiving 2 factor verification texts

I recently ported my number from o2 and now I'm not receiving verification texts from apps like Barclays, uber, Lloyds and many more. 

Can someone please help ? I phoned technical support earlier who advised that there was no problem with my phone as I am receiving texts from friends and family.

7 REPLIES 7
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: Recently moved from o2 to ee - now I'm not receiving 2 factor verification t

Hello there @Johnryall

Welcome to the community.

We will see what we can do to help you with this.

To do this, I have sent you a private message to get some details.

Speak soon, Leanne.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Recently moved from o2 to ee - now I'm not receiving 2 factor verification t

Do you have Premium Rate nos. barred? This might affect the shortcodes used by those organisations.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by l1dge
Explorer

Hi,

Having the same issue since porting my number from O2 to EE on Friday. Normal SMS between phones works fine as do calls etc. but I cannot receive any verification SMS from any website.

I spoke to tech support today but they are out of ideas. Starting to become a problem now as I can't login to apps on my new phone.

Any help would great.

Thanks

Lee

by Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

I've seen this happen before. Companies tend to use commercial SMS gateways for these type of services. What that means is that the SMS is injected directly into the target network rather than routed as a normal SMS would be. You get normal SMS but not these SMS.

It's more secure (and also cheaper for the sender). Where it goes wrong is this.

Because we don't have a central database of phone numbers, they find out which network you're on when set up the service. (Either by asking you or getting you to send a message )

Because the normal routing isn't involved, when you change network it won't immediately know and will be trying to inject the SMS into your old network.

It will sort itself out eventually, deponding on how quickly the sender responds to the bounced messages.

Alternatively, if you can find someone at the sender who knows what they are doing then you can ask them to manually refresh your number.

by

Hi @l1dge,

Welcome to the EE Community.

That's fantastic advice from @Techhead.

If you get in touch with the companies that are trying to send the verification code, they'll be able to help.

Thanks

James

by l1dge
Explorer

Thanks @Techhead and @James_B but I have far too many sites to chase up individually.

Apps on the phone don't work e.g Uber, I can't even register my new device, so I'll just wait it out for now if there is no other technical solution available to me.

Thanks

Lee

by

No problem @l1dge

The issue should fix itself, given time.

Thanks

James

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.