by murdoch Contributor
Contributor

Re: Harrier Mini: Play store

Thanks. Yes, now that I understand the distinction that makes sense.

Here's a related query - how can I add an app icon to the "desktop" in order to facilitate rapid access to open it? And how can I remove redundant icons?

I have searched but found nothing useful And if this would be better as a new query entirely I'm happy to repost. Thanks. M

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: How to Add & Remove Icons from Home Screens

You can always move & rearrange icons on home screens to wherever you want them by pressing & sliding them to elsewhere where there is a space.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
14 REPLIES 14
by Grand Master
Grand Master

How to Add & Remove Icons from Home Screens

@murdoch: Yes, I think this should be a separate thread & have moved it.

Usually when you install a new app it is auto added to home screen somewhere. Otherwise in Apps, where you see it, press & keep holding on it & it will be put on home screen where you can move to where you want when you take your finger off.

To remove, press on the redundant icon & move it to the bin at top.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by murdoch Contributor
Contributor

Thanks @XRaySpeX for both moving the comment and for the answer.

When I go to Settings/Apps, find the app in question (see next para) and press on the icon it doesn't move anywhere. What happens is that a virtual bar below the relevant app line darkens as a shadow spreads across it, L to R, and then clears. When I lift my finger and check the home screen there's no change. I've tried various ways and times of pressing but it seems to make no difference.

I then decided, being subsequently offered an option to force a stop, to implement exactly that. However, I now can't seem to start it again! The only way I can access it is through the Settings/Apps route where it appears under the Downloaded heading (which is accurate) but then tapping and/or pressing seem to have no effect.

I'm starting to have more sympathy for my wife or for friends who periodically ask me to explain some trivial and elementary question about computer use and I think "It's obvious!" Well, I suppose all this Android stuff is pretty "obvious" too!!

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Don't you already have a Apps icon already on the home screens, not within Settings?

by Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

I think that would be the App Drawer rather than Apps. It's in the middle of the Dock, round white with six dots.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Ah, that sounds more like a tablet then a phone.

Therefore in my previous descriptions:

• Your App Drawer is my Apps app, where you can press & move an app to the home screens.
  • Your Apps is my Application Manager, where you can see a list of them & their details.

by murdoch Contributor
Contributor

@XRaySpeX Thanks. No, the home screen has only eight icons: Google, PlayStore, Play Music, a blue phone handset, a green square with an inane looking grin, Chrome, a camera-related icon, and a white circles with two rows of three dots which takes me to a untitled screen which has a further five rows each of four icons some of which duplicate the home screen (Google, Chrome, camera).

Neither of these shows the app I'm anxious to have quick access to. To get to that I do a two finger draw down, tap on the gear icon at the top, then tap on apps.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

What is the app you want on home screen?

by murdoch Contributor
Contributor

@XRaySpeX It's something called the UP app (also known as the Purple app), which comes from Jawbone.com and is accessible through, in my case for Android, Google Play - http://bit.ly/2iV4SqG It's on the phone and I've opened it but, as I say, I'd like to be able to just get to it without the current tortuous route (though thanks to yours and others' help it's less tortuous and less mistifying than earlier).

by Grand Master
Grand Master

You know there is more than 1 home screen? See the row of white dots near the bottom? Slide it L or R to see the others.

Same wih the App Drawer.

by murdoch Contributor
Contributor

Thanks @XRaySpeX No, I didn't know that and I see by sliding it that the relevant app is on the second screen, so that's useful, although I now want to get it to the ordinary opening screen so I need to experiment further. Thanks.

by murdoch Contributor
Contributor

Success! Removed Messages and Google from the front screen thereby leaving space to add this other. Thanks again.

by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

You can always move & rearrange icons on home screens to wherever you want them by pressing & sliding them to elsewhere where there is a space.

by murdoch Contributor
Contributor

Thanks! That all seems to be sorted now - your help much appreciated. M

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks! You're welcome :)! Glad I could be of assistance.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.