by Satlum

RCS Update

Hi,

I have seen this asked a couple of times but wanted to know if there was any update to RCS services coming to EE/Android Messages?

As I understand it there is now a universal protocol https://jibe.google.com for this and Vodafone in the UK has activated this putting EE at a disadvantage to its competitors.

I would have expected this to be activated with EE selling the Google Pixel among many Android phones and Huawei implementing Andoid Messages as default in future. It would bring a semblance of parity between iMessage and Android Messages.

With my parents recently purchasing Google Pixel 2's from EE it would certainly make messaging easier than attempting to download and assist them with downloaded apps from the Play Store!

Thanks in advance.

7 REPLIES 7
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: RCS Update

Hi @Satlum

The problem here is that there is already other services available that provide what this does.

Plus EE won't implement a service which doesn't allow them to charge for MMS messages. 

Thanks, 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by andywightuk Investigator
Investigator

I have just had confirmation from an EE agent confirming that there aren't any current plans to support RCS messaging

selection.png

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Until Apple support it, it won't get much attention.

by Profile closed
Not applicable

Hi, @chistery,

More importantly! Why would they?

I can't see Apple wanting to give a huge chunk of there global dominance, any time soon! 😊

Regards

mAh8v

by Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

RCS is designed to replace SMS. As more carriers roll it out, there will be a time when iMessage can't fall back to SMS ( probably on US carriers first - they're quick to turn off things) Apple will need to support it.

I also think with the recently announced interoperability of Messenger/WhatsApp/Instagram we'll see other changes in messaging.

by Profile closed
Not applicable

Hi, @Techhead,

I'm not against! ( RCS ), all the Utility companies I deal with, have "live chat" and it's great for people like me with a "hearing disability"...

Regards

mAh8v

by Profile closed
Not applicable

Hi, @Techhead,

I'd much rather use "RCS" any day than go on a perpetual form filling paper chase with the postal service!

This in a nutshell sum's it up perfectly! Why I support RCS!

😊

Regards

mAh8v

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.