by Linda15 Investigator
Investigator

Query text about update of settings & using phone. Told to restart phone now?

Hi today I received a text from EE saying some of my settings had been updated & to make sure I could continue using my phone & services I had to restart phone. I've never received anything like this before & am querying if genuine or a scam.

12 REPLIES 12
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Query text about update of settings & using phone. Told to restart phone

For what purpose can it be a scam? You're gonna restart your phone sometime anyway. Why give you advance warning if something was amiss with it?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Linda15

Thank you for coming to community 🙂

This would be a genuine text from EE so nothing at all to worry about.

Thanks

Richard

🙂

by Linda15 Investigator
Investigator

Re: Query text about update of settings

Hi Richard,  Thank you for the welcome 😃 You've put my mind at rest Thank you,  I felt a bit silly asking the question but I'd never received an update text before & been with Orange/EE for a long time.
Thanks Linda15
by

Hi @linda

In my humble opinion, there is no such thing as a silly question.

You have to ask to get an answer and anything else you need just ask.

We are all friendly here and we ask each other tons of stuff.

Have a lovely weekend.

Richard

🙂

by Linda15 Investigator
Investigator

Thanks Richard that's really good to know.Enjoy your weekend too.Thanks Linda
by Linda15 Investigator
Investigator

To XraySpex
Thanks for your reply,  I know it was a daft question to ask but it just seemed strange I'd never had a text like that before from Orange/EE.Thanks Linda15
by lmcintosh
Visitor

So one of our users received a text from EE stating the below.  What generates this text to be sent to some users and not others and is it related to users that dont switch their devices off and on often enough in order for the EE network to update the settings automatically?

“we’ve updated your settings with the latest services. To get them, delete this message and turn phone on and off”

by
EE Employee

Hi @lmcintosh and welcome to the community.

The messages are sent whenever a change has been made to settings or features on the account.

Many thanks,

Lee

by SteveGoodz
Explorer

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I have just received this same message and I don't have an EE account.

My account is with VM, which I understand uses the EE network, so does that explain why the message was sent to me? My wife is also a VM account holder but she hasn't had this message (yet).

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Hello @SteveGoodz

Thank you for taking the time to post today. Smiley Happy

As you've already stated, Virgin Mobile uses EE's network. They also use some systems that are similar to EE's, so it may be that they generate a similar text when any changes have been applied to accounts.

I would recommend you get in contact with Virgin Mobile to clarify. Smiley Happy

by SteveGoodz
Explorer

Hi Inyourbox,

Thank you for the welcome and for responding so quickly.

The text I received is actually from EE, not VM, and that is why I am a little confused. I have never received a text (or any other communication) from EE before.

I like your idea of asking VM but bitter experience tells me I don't have enough time left on this planet to get a sensible answer from them 🙂

by

Hi there @SteveGoodz

I am sorry you have received this and will feed this back.

If you would like your account checked over give Virgin Media a call. 

Thanks for letting us know.

Leanne.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.