by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Pixel, Phone by Google - a user's guide

I was lucky enough to be given early access to the new Pixel, Phone by Google and my review is below. If you have questions then please let me know as I’ll be delighted to have an excuse to play with it to find the answers for you!

Damienw1

-------------- 

Pixel is the latest top of the range smartphone wholly produced by Google with both hardware and software coming from them. It features WiFi calling and 4G calling (Volte) straight out of the box with EE too.

What’s in the box?

When you first open the box you are greeted with Pixel itself. It also comes with wall power adaptor and 2 cables, one of which is USB c to USB c and the other is USB c to standard USB, and the phone also comes with an adaptor to go from normal USB to USB c along with a SIM card removal tool. I was a little surprised that no headphones are included though.

The phone itself is of a lovely build quality with a sleek aluminium chassis.

Setting up – super simple!

Setting up is a breeze and is all guided very easily on the phone itself. I use an Android phone at the moment and I just followed the on screen steps and my apps and stuff were transferring in minutes. Conveniently it also has steps on the device for people moving from an iPhone. 

The screen is exceptionally good and seems very fluid with colours looking very vibrant and text clear.

The fun stuff

After the initial setup which is very simple I must say, you get to play with the phone and this is where the fun starts! Smiley Happy

The phone features fingerprint recognition for unlocking and purchase of apps etc. I found the sensor super quick and considerably faster than my S7 edge at recognising my fingerprint and unlocking the phone.

The camera is also top of the class with pictures looking sharp and vibrant and of great quality and although the phone doesn't have optical image stabilisation it does have electronic image stabilisation and it works great. I for one couldn't see any disadvantage to this.

What about the WiFi?

WiFi calling and 4G calling work great straight out of the box although you do need to switch on WiFi calling which is easily done under the settings tab. 4G calling is enabled by default although there doesn't seem to be any symbol for this but it is evident in that making a call it stays on 4G.

Pixel also features Cat 9 support meaning it can take advantage of EE’s fastest speeds on 4G+  EE is the only network currently supporting Cat 9 LTE which makes for a super combination of both phone and network. 

Unlimited storage

Pixel also features unlimited Google cloud storage for photos and videos including 4K which is a real bonus as these files are usually very large and would otherwise take up lots of space on the phone itself. 

Pixel also has Google assistant which is actually very useful and can tell you things like the weather or places to eat around you. It can also do things on the phone such as set alarms and send texts by voice control which the phone can learn to make it more precise. However in first use with no training it recognised my voice commands with no issues at all.

Seems quite speedy

On using the phone nothing I could throw at it slowed it down and even the most high end games function very well indeed I think this is due to the latest snapdragon 821 processor coupled with 4gb of ddr4 ram. It can certainly hold its own among any of the flagships out at the moment and I would imagine for some time to come.

Can you hear me?

Call quality is nice and clear on both WiFi and 4G calling with a good volume to the earpiece and the other caller being able to hear me even in busy environments.

My favourite Pixel points

All in all I think it's a great phone! I like the camera the most which is truly impressive and I'm also very impressed by the speed at which the fingerprint sensor works. 

The lack of memory card slot doesn't really bother me as with unlimited cloud storage for pictures and videos there is still plenty left for apps etc on the 32gb version. Of course the 128gb would be a step up if you have the need for such large local storage.

As its running Google’s latest Android N operating system the interface is very clean and snappy and I'm sure will be enhanced even further with software updates along the way. 

The only thing I would have liked to have seen was wireless charging although it charges very rapidly via UsbC and the fast charger in the box with a 15 minute charge giving up to 7 hours of use.

I haven't had enough time to fully test the battery life over days but early indications are very good and would most likely be even better on the XL version. 

This is a great phone with great potential and I think Google has got it just right here in Pixel and Pixel XL 

damien 3.jpg

(Disclaimer – I was given this phone for review by EE) 

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
23 REPLIES
by Scholarly Contributor
Scholarly Contributor

Re: Pixel, Phone by Google - a user's guide

Great review Damien! Lucky you for getting one early to review! 

How would you compare the camera and screen to your S7? I'm tempted to jump to this from my S7 but the screen and camera were 2 of the main reasons I got the S7. 

If you have the time to share some camera comparisons that would be greatly appreciated! 

by
EE Employee

Hi @Damienw1

My friend got his delivery this morning and he loves it.

He did, though find it a bit difficult to transfer data iOS to Android. 

Brilliant hands on review.

Cheers

Lee

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@Mark_ Will try and do some camera comparisons shortly 

To be honest the screen on the standard pixel is not quite as sharp as my s7 edge and I believe the s7 has the same screen as the edge now the pixel Xl has a Qhd screen which is what my s7 edge has and that would probably compare more to be honest the standard pixel is only Fhd it's still a great screen mind you and unless you have both side by side running certain things you really wouldn't notice.

The camera is I would say easily as good as the s7 it does lack Ois but uses its own electronic version and I've been just as happy with the results 

__________________________________________________________________________________________
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@Lee_H Thanks what did he find difficult do you think it was more of a transition from Apple to android thing? 

by
EE Employee

Hi @Damienw1

it was more of an issue getting pics and contacts etc across if you have formatted them in a different that normal way.

Cheers

Lee

(ignore PM, as I sent this reply as a PM-- not sure why lol)

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@Lee_H is he sorted now?

by
EE Employee

by Vanguard Contributor
Contributor

Hi there,

A quick couple of queries here, and apologies if this has been raised before - regarding the Google Pixel(XL)...

Can you confirm, as regards the ability to support WiFi Calling, does this work on any standard Pixel with EE SIM or does the Pixel need to be supplied by EE (with an EE ROM installed) ?

If the device does need an EE ROM to support WiFi Calling - will EE Pixel still be reachable & eligable for Google's regular software updates..?

Many thanks...

by
EE Community Support Team

Hello there @Vanguard.

Thanks for coming back to the community.

The Pixel will have both WiFi Calling and 4G Calling.

This is on devices purchased either directly with EE or indirectly through a 3rd party.

Thanks

by Scholarly Contributor
Scholarly Contributor

Yep, can confirm my Google store bought pixel works brilliant with volte and WiFi calling  Smiley Happy 

by Vanguard Contributor
Contributor

Many thanks for the update here - so to confirm, theres no difference in capability and access to EE services for either EE supplied Pixel or bought direct from Google store..?

Regards... 

by Scholarly Contributor
Scholarly Contributor

Correct. 

The Pixels work the same way as the iPhones, buy them direct from Google and they will work with any features on any network

by Vanguard Contributor
Contributor

thanks all - appreciate the comments...!

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Are OS and security updates subject to delays on the Pixel as they are with all the other manufacturers.  In short does the Pixel ship with an EE firmware with EE changes to it.

Mark L

by Scholarly Contributor
Scholarly Contributor

@Bellyman wrote:

Are OS and security updates subject to delays on the Pixel as they are with all the other manufacturers.  In short does the Pixel ship with an EE firmware with EE changes to it.

Mark L

Nope, they come direct from google. 

For the past 2 months mine has got the security updates on the same day that google released them, few times before that it's been a few days after.

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Thank you for confirming that.

This only highlights more the hold EE has with their firmwares on other devices and the delays this causes

Mark L

by uvarvu Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I've RMA'd my Pixel over the weekend due to burn in issues around the nav bar.   Anyone else had this problem?   I popped into an EE shop and spoke about it with them but they told me they could only send it away for repair rather than swap it there and then, was rather taken aback by that.   

by
EE Employee

Hi and welcome back to the Community @uvarvu

So I can try and assist, how long have you had the device for?

Many thanks,

Lee

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.