by pwwhitehead Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Pixel 2 Updates

I have recently obtained a Pixel 2 on contract with EE. This device is currently on security update for September. Upon checking update it states none available. I spoke with EE who have given conflicting views. One person states any security/android updates are sent from Google to EE who then push these out to devices resulting in delays as opposed to Pixel bought directly from Google.

A second person states they are stock Google devices and any security/android updates come directly from Google.

Can anybody please confirm which method is adopted. My Pixel C tablet from Google is already on October security update with November due shortly.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by
EE Employee
Solution

Re: Pixel 2 Updates

Hi @pwwhitehead and welcome to the community.

I've just spoken to a colleague who has a pixel and he's currently on the October security patch.

Many thanks,

Lee

8 REPLIES 8
by Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

@pwwhitehead I don't use pixel but my galaxy s7 edge is still running on August security update, I regularly get a notification to say update available but when I go to update it say device is already upto date!! It's very frustrating 😤 

Established Contributor

I can understand that for a Samsung they put there version of software over Android, however the Pixel 2 runs on clean version of Android and is not altered by EE. So it's just a case of who sends out the updates?

by
EE Employee
Solution

Hi @pwwhitehead and welcome to the community.

I've just spoken to a colleague who has a pixel and he's currently on the October security patch.

Many thanks,

Lee

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@pwwhitehead for the Pixel range of phone no network has any control over updates. This is done via Google themselves.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
Established Contributor

Thanks for your assistance. I'm on security patch for September. I will wait until Google push out updates. Nice to know that Google control updates which should lead to timely Android updates.

Established Contributor

Thanks for your assistance.

Paul

by
EE Employee

by uvarvu Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Google have fixed the check for updates button but you will need the latest version of Google Play Services to get the fix.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.androidcentral.com/google-play-services-12209-fixes-androids-chec...

After installing this and checking for updates I was immediately prompted to install the February security update.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.