by Riz_20 Investigator
Investigator

Phone antenna

I know this may be more work than it's worth, but would changing the internal antenna on a U.S. spec phone to a U.K spec antenna change the frequency reception band's and enable device to pick up the mHz  band's that supply our 3g 4g network,or is there software also and code variables also?? 

3 REPLIES 3
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Phone antenna

Hi,

No it wouldn't it will be the internal radio chip which is part of the CPU on some phones,  so not changeable. Most phones work on worldwide networks anyway bar some older or exclusive handsets.

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Riz_20 Investigator
Investigator

Thanks, I kinda figured. I have a galaxy on5 phone that won't pick up 2g, 3g, or 4g was previoulsy on metro pcs/t mobile U.S. network but apparently the mHz signals are on different levels in the two countries. It is unlocked and takes my EE SIM but only runs on "E" reception very limited..

by Profile closed
Not applicable

For some reason the US mobile networks do tend to use different frequencies / bands for their mobile/cell networks.

Most newer smartphones should work in globally now.

EE use band 1 (2100Mhz) for 3G/UMTS, band 3 (1800Mhz) for 2G as well as band 3 (1800Mhz), 7 (2600Mhz) & 20 (800Mhz) for 4G/LTE.  Band 3 is the most widley used band for 4G/LTE on EE.

All UK networks are GSM based as well.  We don't use CDMA here at all.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.