by Fubar
Explorer

Phone account compromised

My number has been ported to a Vodafone account without my request or permission so how does EE allow that to happen?

11 REPLIES 11
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Re: Phone account compromised

Hi @Fubar 

Welcome to the EE Community,

You will have to contact EE customer services on 0800 956 6000 opt 2 opt 4 so they can investigate what has happened I would also contact Vodafone customer services to inform them of what has happened too their number is 0163533251 opt 1

Thanks,

David.

by Profile closed
Not applicable

@Fubar how on earth do we know?

But it may well be that a fraudster is trying to get a free phone by transferring your account to the new provider. He or she or they might be attempting wholesale identity fraud on you... 

This fraudster might also have other info on you. So, it's for you and EE to investigate together.

I advise you to change your email address password immrdiarely and then immediately afterwards change your bank account password. Do that by phone call if it's linked to your mobile phone. And have your mobile phone number unlinked from it. Then watch your bank account very closely still. Talk to your bank if you need to. Be very vigilent in general. If necessary get new bank online login details, too. I would in your situation. 

Maybe get a new phone number...

Good luck. If you still have access to your My EE account then change that password, too.

Check on your various accounts to see if your home address has been changed, etc. 

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@Fubar  I’d also get a free copy of your credit report to triple check your finances in addition to @David  and  @Profile closed ‘s advice. 

Always better to be extra safe just to be sure. 

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Fubar

Welcome to the community. 

I see you've been given some advice here already.

Is there anyone else in your family that has access to your mobile account? Is it possible that they passed security and requested this?

Chris

by Fubar
Explorer

Hi, nobody has access only myself.
Have already changed email/bank passwords and handset has fingerprint
access only and that's why I am baffled as to how they have bypassed EE
security.
Thanks for everyone's input.
by Profile closed
Not applicable

@Fubar please keep us updated. None of us wants this to happen to anyone. So hopeful we can all learn something from what has happened to you. 

I mean, it is possible that someone went into a Vodafone store and gave the wrong number or else the store worker wrote it down wrongly... But you don't know so have to act as if it's fraud immediately.

I've got a question for EE staff: @Christopher_G isn't the instigating phone company of the transfer, in this case Vodafone, obliged to send out a text message that needs to be verified before such a transfer may actively commence? I certainly hope so. We can't be / shouldn't have to suffer the inconvenience of an erroneous transfer done by someone who doesn't know their own number or else wrongly transcribed by a phone employee.

by
EE Community Support Team

Have you been onto our Mobile Care team to report this too, @Fubar?

Chris

by Fubar
Explorer

Update today, after speaking with Vodafone 3 days ago, they promised to
return my number and investigate, and that EE had not contacted them at all.
Disappointed with EE but Vodafone kept their word and my number has been
reinstated.
Investigations continue but thanks again for everyone's input.
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Fubar   You’ll probably find that who ever got your number choose it from a list of numbers in a shop and then it got ported to their vodaphone account. 

It’s not the first time this has happened.  

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@Fubar  Thank you for coming back to let us know the outcome. I’m glad this is being sorted out for you x

by uvarvu Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I'd consider signing up to Cifas if I were you.

https://www.cifas.org.uk/services/identity-protection/protective-registration

It will cause inconveniences to you but at least you'll be better off in terms of identity protection.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.