by Luisornelas Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Oreo update for Samsung Galaxy S8

When will EE release the Oreo update for the Samsung Galaxy S8??  And also the Android Security Patch? ? Mine is still from November.

46 REPLIES 46
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Re: Oreo update for Samsung Galaxy S8

Your phone will notify you when the update is ready.

EE doesn't announce dates of when they will release updates

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by Barryedge Contributor
Contributor

Why not? It notifies if we pay our bills late soon enough. 

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Bills have nothing to do with updates so you can't compare.

The updates are free.

There was a world wide issue with Oreo on the S8 so Samsung halted the roll out for about a month. They only started again about a week ago.

by Barryedge Contributor
Contributor

About 3 weeks ago actually Brendan. Anyway, my beef is really with Samsung and the length of time it takes them to roll out updates that most manufacturers implement within 2 months of Google releasing them. My next phone will probably be the Pixel 3 as a result. 

by aido Contributor
Contributor

The Oreo update has been released by Three for the S8 & + now, I guess they found it easier to get WiFi Calling and VoLTE working than EE 😉

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi, 

I have the generic Samsung firmware on my S8+ and its running Android 7, with 1 December security update. 

Samsung have always poorly supported their devices when it comes to software updates. 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by aido Contributor
Contributor

It's certainly unusual that Three have their H3G version out before BTU but maybe they've paid for the privilege like Vodafone have done in the past?

It would be quite funny if EE get their EVR version out before the generic BTU as it's usually weeks behind

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@Northerner

Do a manual check.

Mine is downloading Oreo now on my BTU handset.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@aido wrote:

It's certainly unusual that Three have their H3G version out before BTU but maybe they've paid for the privilege like Vodafone have done in the past?

It would be quite funny if EE get their EVR version out before the generic BTU as it's usually weeks behind

@aido

Not really they tend to use certain carrier as testers to see what problems they have. Samsung have done this for years. Plus the more "tweats" needed the more potential problems. 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@BrendonH wrote:

@Northerner

Do a manual check.

Mine is downloading Oreo now on my BTU handset.

LMAO,  I check just before posting and its now avaiable....LMAO. Smiley Very Happy

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Only Feb security patch though not March.

I was on January though as I was a beta tester

by Barryedge Contributor
Contributor

Same here lol. Maybe we kicked their backsides collectively. 😀

by aido Contributor
Contributor

The EE specific EVR firmware is now available OTA via software update, I've installed it this morning on my S8+.

1 Feb security patch like the other versions.

by LittleWar Investigator
Investigator

Anyone with feedback on the update? I'm more worried about battery life and some people were talking about not being abble to have different sound notifications for the different apps, is it true? 

Galaxy s8

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@LittleWarwrote:

Anyone with feedback on the update? I'm more worried about battery life and some people were talking about not being abble to have different sound notifications for the different apps, is it true? 

Galaxy s8

Battery life is now terrible on my S8.  Usually get a day and a half out of nougat with my regular usage.  On Oreo i'm just about getting 24hrs.   Tried killing background apps, resetting cache etc.  No joy.      Some people are reporting no problems but personally it has had an effect on battery for me. 

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Been looking on Reddit and i think there's another update rolling out that addresses some issues, updates security and also brings some extra features that the S9 has..

Here is the page my EE device guided me to so i could see what updates i should have..

https://security.samsungmobile.com/securityUpdate.smsb

I'm sure EE are fully aware and will update this post with answering all our questions and addressing any concerns we have..

For example this page states my phone can be unlocked with a magnet, obviously not a good thing

SVE-2017-10897: NFC activated by magnet

Severity: Low
Affected versions: N(7.0)
Reported on: September 14, 2017
Disclosure status: Privately disclosed.
The vulnerability allows NFC activation to bypass lockscreen when a magnet is close to a specific point of device.
The patch disabled NFC activation in such event.

When will this vulnerability be patched on my EE device?

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

A magnet going near your phone will cause more damage than just unlocking the device. So I'd be more worried about that rather than EE testing your firmware

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

I know.  Let's hope EE give some clear information on this issue and the others as well as the security updates detailed in that landing page from this phone. 

by LittleWar Investigator
Investigator

Some say if you restore to factory settings after a big update will fix most bugs... I'm just a bit sckeptical since my last 2 phones, big updates always mess up something, and I eventually rest to factory but still didn't fix it until I went rogue to lineage lol too early to do that on this phone

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.