by nekromantik Established Contributor
Established Contributor

OnePlus 7 SIM lock

Hi

I'm very angry. I was told EE do not lock OnePlus phones and so purchased 7 Pro 5g. However it turn out you will lock and I need to wait 6 months. I was told false information prior to purchase.

I am a android developer so need to be able to unlock bootloader and I am going Australia for 4 months and prefer to use pay as u go SIM instead of roaming.

I been with EE over 10 years and they won't even accept payment for SIM unlock.

5 REPLIES 5
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Re: OnePlus 7 SIM lock

It's not out yet, how do you know for sure? EE tend to say they lock all phones and the 6T was not locked. 

As long as you don't buy in store, you can return it if it is locked. Never take out an EE contract in an EE store is always the best advice.

Established Contributor

True it may turn out the twitter rep did not know fully.

However returning it is not a option as I cannot afford to buy it up front and I am unable to cancel my contract until October. 

I am even willing to pay 3 months of line rental up front to get the unlock code if its locked.

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@nekromantik I would wait and see. I am hoping it's unlocked, Oneplus have said it's unlocked. EE have just cut and pasted their standard response and say it's locked when asked.

It's about time locking phones was banned by OFCOM, but they won't do anything useful.

Please report back though when you get it, be useful for others.

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @nekromantik 

This condition has been part of EE standard contract terms for years. It's nothing new

Also as this device is on EE new 5G firmware, then unlike previous versions, you might not be able to unlock the bootloader as simply as the 6T. 

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
Established Contributor

The version of the OS is the same as the standard 7 Pro as people with it have seen hidden settings for 5g. 

The firmware will be different but the bootloader is not directly related to that as all Android phones are unlocked in the same way...you choose oem unlock in settings and then run fastboot command.

The SIM lock is optional feature network can use. 

EE have not run custom OS versions on android phones for a long time.

Pixel is only exception as they auto unlock via server side setting like iPhones.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions