by listellm Investigator
Investigator

OnePlus 5 4G Speeds

Hello,

I have recently joined EE and also purchased a OnePlus 5.

I am really struggling with my network speeds.  I live and work in central London so I am fine on the coverage checker however, i have never had download speeds greater than 8mbps.

I was just wondering if anyone else has encountered this or have any ideas of what i can try?  1st line EE support desk have not been able to detect any issues so far.

12 REPLIES 12
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: OnePlus 5 4G Speeds

@listellm  Do you have multiple apps running or have apps running in the background when you do your speed test ?  If you do this will effect the test but it shouldn’t effect it to this degree.   

by listellm Investigator
Investigator

Hi.

Yes i do have Apps running in the background, i imagine most people do but the Apps access is restricted.

I was with my friend on Friday also on EE using the Oneplus 3.  We were litterally side-by-side and he had 60+mbps and i was at lowly 6.

I can only conclude that i am being throttled or I have some configuration missing on my phone but I have trawled through the settings and nothing seems to be prohibitting network.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@listellm This will be something that is set on your device.  You are not being throttled.  When did you get this contract? 

by listellm Investigator
Investigator

Hi Chris,

I joined about 10 days ago.  I am tempted to pull my Sim card and try it in my old device and my friends device.  I guess this will aid me in determining if my device has a config setting restricting this?

by
EE Employee

Hi @listellm

I would definitely try your SIM in another device to see if the issue lies with the device or your SIM/account.

It may also be worth trying the phone in safe mode to see how it performs.

Let us know how you get on!

Thanks - Karen. Smiley Happy

by danpaulsmith
Explorer

Hi,

I've noticed the same thing.

I was using a OnePlus 1 up until about week ago, getting LTE coverage and 40-60mbs speeds.

I've now bought the OnePlus 5, and I've been getting 4G coverage with 2-5mbs speeds.

This seems strange and I really want to know what's going on, is it EE's side or OP's side?

Thanks

by danpaulsmith
Explorer

Hi,

I've noticed the same thing.

I was using a Oneplus One up until about a week ago with great speeds (40-60mbs) on the LTE band (it said LTE at the top of the screen).

I've just bought the Oneplus 5, and haven't seen LTE appear yet, and have enabled the "Use VoLTE" setting in the settings area. Getting 2-5mbs today on 4G.

I really want to know what's going on. 

Dan

by
EE Employee

Hi @danpaulsmith

Are you able to try the phone in safe mode to see how it performs?

VoLTE is just for your calls - does the phone show a 4G signal or does it drop down to 3G?

Thanks - Karen. Smiley Happy

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

My speedtest from the Canary Wharf Mall

http://www.nperf.com/r/145310125-nPcoro5q

Have you tried the other SIM slot - shouldn't make a difference, but worth a try

Are you on a MAX plan or not? EE do throttle on non max plans and they are up to 60Mbit/s

Is there a SIM on the other slot? Disable it and try again if there is one.

by listellm Investigator
Investigator

Hmm.. seems EE maybe tinkering with my account because at Liverpool At, London today, it got faster. 

Check out my @speedtest result! How fast is your internet? http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/3002972013

by
EE Employee

Hi @listellm

I'm glad your speeds have returned to a better level for yourself.

Many thanks,

Lee

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

All still good @listellm?

yesterday in Canary wharf I got over 100Mbit/s download speeds. The Distributed antenna system there which allows networks to offer 4G services works really well from underground in the shopping centre. Step outside and speeds slow to a few meg though! 

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.