by NYanakiev Contributor
Contributor

One Plus 7 Pro support

I just moved back to EE after a short period of time with O2. I opted for the One Plus 7 Pro on a 5G plan. 

The phone is pretty great but it's brand new and One Plus have been pushing out a lot of updates that improve on the camera and the device's 5G performance.

My phone is currently on Oxygen OS 9.5.3- when does EE plan to approve and release 9.5.7 that contains some of these crucial fixes?

I would be very disappointed if EE doesn't provide a proper level of support for one of the first proper 5G phones. 

74 REPLIES 74
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: One Plus 7 Pro support

@NYanakiev   EE will push out updates to the device but seeing as the device was only just made available with a 5G contract ( 11 days ago ) I very much doubt you’ll get an update just yet. 

by NYanakiev Contributor
Contributor

Yes, well aware with that. However, a member of EE's tech team suggested to me that I shouldn't expect too much when it comes to timely updates.

He seemed to be saying it will happen but not anytime soon, which is a response that, to me, shows how poor EE's support of people with 5g contracts really is.

Getting the infrastructure right is crucial but supporting devices with timely updates is equally as important. 

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Not just 5G phones.

All phones on android are slow in getting updates on EE. 4G or 5G.

It's been the norm for years.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Is it actually running an EE version of firmware?

Oneplus have always had a staged rollout. A few initially, and slowly ramp it up over a week or two. You can sometimes use a VPN if you know which country they are targeting first, or an app to download it, or just wait.

by NYanakiev Contributor
Contributor

I have been led to believe that it's not the case for devices sold by carriers like EE. That's due to customisations required for a given phone to run on the network in a way that's been tested and verified by EE. 

I tried the VPN trick but it doesn't work. 

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Have OnePlus even released a newer version for the Pro 5G? 9.5.7 has been released for the Pro, but the EU 5G version is still on 9.5.3. it seems?

by NYanakiev Contributor
Contributor

You're right, will be interesting to see how long after the EU release it will become available on EE. 

by nekromantik Established Contributor
Established Contributor

There is no EE branding on this device.

My Pixel 2 XL I got off EE contract was SIM locked by EE but I still got updates from Google at same time as others on other networks and unlocked.

With the 7 Pro 5G its also unlocked and no branding.

So I do not know why EE would need to "approve" updates....it delays things.

They should do the same thing they did for Pixels and let the company that actually make the phone roll out updates.

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

My Oneplus 7 Pro 5G came with 9.5.1 but keeps prompting me to upgrade to the 9.5.3 version but then fails both OTA and local upgrade.

It has been picked up on the EE Community forum elsewhere and passed back to support.

However the oneplus community forum does have quite a few people reporting the same failure even after suggesting a full reset etc.

by NYanakiev Contributor
Contributor

My device updated to 9.5.3 without a hitch. 

The latest update was meant to have been released but One Plus discovered a problem. The new expected release date is this coming weekend!

Established Contributor

Where did you get this information?

by pbmcmlxxi Contributor
Contributor

According to a chat I've just done with EE there should not be a problem downloading directly from OnePlus UK site. Here is a copy of my chat transcript.

Hi, I have the oneplus 7 pro, and am interested in updating to the latest software/firmware. You currently have 9.5.3 on my handset. Oneplus UK site has 9.5.7 avail. Is there any issues with me flashing direct via download from the offical oneplus site, which seems to deliver updates faster than ee.

Ridham  at 9:30, Jun 11:
Hi there Paul.

Ridham at 9:31, Jun 11:
Are you getting the option to download the latest software version through the one plus site?

Ridham  at 9:31, Jun 11:
The software is provided by the manufacturer. EE only provides services.

Paul  at 9:32, Jun 11:
Hi, if you look on the UK page, I could download this updated and flash it manually. https://www.oneplus.com/uk/support/softwareupgrade/details?code=11

Paul at 9:33, Jun 11:
Going on other support bits I read, the update on the handset via OTA is issued by EE - so as long as there is no issue with me downloading the latest via Oneplus UK site then I'll look to do that. 🙂

Ridham at 9:34, Jun 11:
Yes, definitely you can download the software for the One Plus site. There should not be any issue.

Paul at 9:35, Jun 11:
Awesome, wanted to check first. Thanks

Ridham at 9:35, Jun 11:
You are welcome. 🙂

As manufacture sends the update and EE rechecks and update in OTA.

Can I help you with anything else before you go and enjoy the rest of your day?

Paul at 9:36, Jun 11:
No, that's all thanks.
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@pbmcmlxxi  EE do not sell the 7 Pro, only the 7 Pro 5G version. the software page you linked to is for the non 5G version. You need the GM27BA version of software I believe?

by pbmcmlxxi Contributor
Contributor

ohh. Thanks. Not sure where that page is located. The OnePlus site does not seem to list it, one Oneplus 7 and Oneplus 7 pro. Be nice to update the 5G model. 

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Oneplus don't sell it SIM free so maybe that's why they aren't publishing the software at this stage on their usual download sites. 

You are on the latest version for the 5g version though.

Established Contributor

This is the problem. EE interfering and causing delays! We are still waiting for camera update fastboot fix ghost touch fix. All of these are already out for cheaper phone! We paying extra for delayed updates and inferior 5g service and support.

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Just because they are released on a non 5G model doesnt mean the update has been pushed out on the 5G model you cant compare them.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@nekromantik   EE will not allow an update if that update has a knock on effect to anything else with the EE branded software on the device with out testing it first.    As for inferior 5G service don’t forget it’s only just been launched so you took that contract knowing that. And your contract doesn’t include updates. 

Established Contributor

You are incorrect.

OnePlus 7 Pro 5g on EE has NO EE branding in software nor does it include any EE apps. Further more no mention of EE in settings or box. Just like OnePlus 6t last year this is stock OnePlus handset.

My three SIM also works fine on the phone.

This is why EE should not be involved.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.