by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Re: One Plus 7 Pro support

Like I said of course OnePlus will blame EE for the supposed delay.

As if I were to ask Samsung where is my June security update on my Galaxy S10+ they'll tell me it's down to my network.

When actually I have a sim free Galaxy bought direct from Samsung.

They will always blame someone else than themselves.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the STAR/SOLUTION buttons below
by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

It seems that way yes as the Oneplus Support chat person clearly stated all support and any issues with updates have to be dealt with by EE directly.

I asked him about whether security  updates would be released direct and he said no all through EE once they had been through Yes due process.

The above is all well and good if we had information shared with us on what is actually happening in the background to resolve these update failed issues from 9.5.1 to 9.5.3.

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

But no one is being delayed as they have the latest firmware.

They are comparing to the standard 4G phone which you cant compare 

That's like me comparing my S10+ to the S10 5G or the S10 or S10e.

by 77cats Contributor
Contributor

Latest firmware released for this model maybe but it doesn't change the fact that the 7 Pro has many issues fixed while we on the 7 Pro 5G still await some.

If they're totally different handsets, they shouldn't use identical numbered firmwares.

Not so many things differe from what I understand, 5G modem and antenna, NFC and liquid cooling, different internal structure. The rest is more or less the same, especially the cameras and the screen. Those could receive an earlier update while they (OnePlus/EE) take more time to test the 5G connectivity and other stuff. That's all we need.

Edit -- typos

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

OnePlus make the firmware then EE test it. 

You are on the latest firmware regardless if the phone is similar they have different firmware. Doesnt matter if version numbers are the same.

by 77cats Contributor
Contributor

As I lost my reply by accidentaly clicking on the "previous page button" of my mouse while still typing it, below is a poor copy of it (sorry for that).

- Yes, we're on the last fimrware released for the 5G variant. I think many of us understood your point and agree with you, BrendonH.

- If the firmwares are different (due to the 5G elements presents), they should have used an entirely different numbering - this would be less frustrating or confusing. Because the numbers appear to be the sames and because we see fixes released for the 7 Pro that we would wecome, we grow upset. I said appear because the end of the build number is different to reflect the different phone model (.GM27BA).

- The following is me being naive but shouldn't EE only be concerned about the parts affecting the connectivity to their network? Most parts of the hardware are shared with the 7 Pro, meaning many fixes are the same and could be already released in small and quick updates, to keep us happy (splitting the updates between EE stuf they could test at their leisure and elements that do not impact their services and could be made available faster).

- I have to agree with others: this is a premium device with a premium bill, if we really are valued customers, EE should inform us better. Waiting isn't an issue when you know why or for how long. The lack of communication is.

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Im sorry my out of the box firmware is 9.5.1 on my 7 pro 5g. Oneplus issues 9.5.3 which my phone downloads, verifies then instantly fails. This is also happening to many people according to various forums. Oneplus say its EE who are responsible for dealing with this issue and also who are responsible for the updates.

Okay 9.5.3 is apparently the latest firmware but not for all of us who have this update failed issue and that's what we are concerned about and not a lot forthcoming from our provider other than the forum reps passing on details to EE support which is good but support don't seem to be passing info back to forum people.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@davecres   Are you doing this on a cellular or a WiFi connection.  

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Ive tried it on home wifi, work wifi and data and all the same. On data have tried a few times but of course at 2gb a time it eats well and truly into my monthly allowance.

I have even taken my sim out, turned off radios  through airplane mode and tried the local upgrade route and all the same as soon as verified ok then fails.

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

I was reading about the issue on the oneplus forum, seems even with a local download, md5 checksum verified file it's failing, so it's not the download that's the problem.  Hopefully when the new version is out they will have identified the issue and resolved it.

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Hope so too as its very infuriating having a new one with an update constantly reminding you there is an update to install and it won't. It then deletes itself and starts again.

Sooner Oneplus confirm they have issued a firmware incremental update tot eh failed one then sooner we will know that its in EEs court to release to us. 

Don't get me wrong out fo the box with 9.5.1 its a great phone just niggles some of which have been resolved in 9.5.3 but others that people are awaiting a later update makes me wonder how much longer we are have to be piggy in the middle

by nekromantik Established Contributor
Established Contributor

@BrendonH Incorrect latest firmware for 5g is 9.5.4 as seen here posted 4th of June

https://github.com/OnePlusOSS/android_kernel_oneplus_sm8150/commits/oneplus/SM8150_SDX50M_P_9.0

It still has not been released.

It was meant to be out 2 weeks ago according to EE and then they said last week and still nothing. 

by 77cats Contributor
Contributor

nekromantik, your post on XDA was interesting as it's something I was wondering. Please allow me to quote it here for others:

Everyone needs to keep expectations in line with the situation we have here.

There is only 1 place in the entire world that has the 5G Pro device in use.
So updates will be tested on Non 5G and then ported over to 5G.
The camera i version 9.5.1 5G is the same as 9.5.4 non 5G.
So i expect the same here, 9.5.7 upates to be included in 9.5.4 5G.
However seeing as the source code was uploaded 3 days ago and still no OTA it must mean EE are testing all updates and delaying it.
So I dont think its OnePlus problem.

Once the device is no longer exclusive then we may be able to use EU 5G updates on our phones.

OnePlus 7 Pro 5G (EE/UK) Updates - XDA

The last sentence especially gets my hopes high.

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

9.5.4 now showing up on op7 Pro 5G devices and mine is going through the reboot after install as I write this.

by 77cats Contributor
Contributor

Screenshot_20190617-151855.jpgUpdate log

It went through quickly here, 110Mb.

Content seems poor. Is it because more is coming later or because less needed fixing?

Highlighted
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hopefully we'll get the May security update and camera fixes in an update soon.

Established Contributor

well here is what worries me....people said the reason the update took so long was changes to the 5g modem. now on the changelog there is no mention of modem changes.

worst of all they included the touchscreen fixes from 9.5.7 non 5g but missed the camera updates.

we were then told once modem issues are fixed then future updates will come soon after non 5g model....I really do hope this is true. I dont want to wait 2 to 3 weeks extra for every update.

by 77cats Contributor
Contributor

9.5.8 rolling for the 7 pro, some good stuff coming soon maybe:

• System
    • Optimized touch sensitivity for the screen
    • Optimized compatibility for third-party Type-C headphones
    • Updated Android security patch to 2019.05
    • General bug fixes and improvements
  • Phone
    • Improved audio quality
  • Camera
    • Fixed issue with the pop up camera opening for an incoming video call while the screen is off or locked

Are some of you still stuck on the update issue? I'd just ask for a replacement if the last OTA update didn't work. 

Established Contributor

the annoying this is....our 9.5.4 OTA missed out on camera updates from non 5g that was released 2 weeks prior to 5g ota.

it makes no sense as some of the fixes in 9.5.8 non 5g are from 9.5.4 5g.

so they pick and choose what they fix between updates but on non 5g has all updates but the 5g version is missing fixes.

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Then talk to OnePlus.

They create the firmware.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.