by guings Investigator
Investigator

Nokia 5 security updates

According to Nokia, monthly security patches are published for Nokia 5: https://www.nokia.com/en_int/phones/security-updates, However, since at least May, I have not been prompted to install a new patch (my device is currently at 00WW_5_580_SP02). Why might that be? I believe I received my latest update while in US, using US T-Mobile SIM card. Could that have prevented me from getting updates on EE going forward? I have been getting updates on EE prior to that.

I'm on a T-Mobile UK SIM at the moment.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by guings Investigator
Investigator
Solution

Re: Nokia 5 security updates

I managed to install the three missing updates by following the steps described in a thread on the Nokia forum:

1. First, please go to Settings >> Applications/Apps & Notifications >> (Show all) Three dots on the top-right >> Show System >> Carrier Services >> Storage >> Cache and tap to clear it.

2. Then, remove any SIM Cards on your device and shut down your device (Long press the Power Button >> Power Off).

3. Wait for about 15 minutes, then turn on your device without the SIM Card.

4. 10 minutes after it loads, please connect to a stable Wi-Fi Connection and check for your System Updates by going to Settings >> About Phone >> System Updates.

5. Should this not work, please go back to step 2, but on step 3, please insert a SIM Card from a different Network Operator and proceed to step 4.

I did not try without a SIM, put a defunct SIM from another operator on the first try, but otherwise I followed these steps to the letter. I am still not clear who is at fault here, Nokia or EE, but clearly this bending over backwards to get a security patch applied is not good for the customers of either company.

5 REPLIES 5
by Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

Assuming you have the SIM Free version you might find that taking your EE SIM out (while phone is off) will mean you get an update. Or replace with a SIM from another netwirk.   It should be on the August security patch.

If you have the EE version of the phone, then you'll need to wait until EE approves the patch. EE's processes are either slower or more thorough, depending on how you look at it, compared to most other networks.

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

How could and should a phone not with EE firmware be blocked from receiving its updates whilst connected to the EE network.

by guings Investigator
Investigator

Thanks, the idea with removing SIM did not occur to me! Unfortunately it did not help -- even with the phone rebooted without the SIM and connected to WiFi only, the update check came back with nothing. I do have a SIM-free version of the phone.

The only other thing I can think of is to try a factory reset and see if that unblocks the updates.

by guings Investigator
Investigator

Factory reset was a waste of time, the phone stayed on the same version of firmware it was on before the reset, and still no updates are pulled. Speaking to Nokia's tech support team through the built-in chat app was also useless, they had no clue about whether a specific update was rolled out to a specific network and the best they could offer was to suggest "waiting until the update is available" -- as if waiting three months was not enough. It is frustrating, because I don't even know whom to ditch -- Nokia or EE -- to get a patched device.

by guings Investigator
Investigator
Solution

I managed to install the three missing updates by following the steps described in a thread on the Nokia forum:

1. First, please go to Settings >> Applications/Apps & Notifications >> (Show all) Three dots on the top-right >> Show System >> Carrier Services >> Storage >> Cache and tap to clear it.

2. Then, remove any SIM Cards on your device and shut down your device (Long press the Power Button >> Power Off).

3. Wait for about 15 minutes, then turn on your device without the SIM Card.

4. 10 minutes after it loads, please connect to a stable Wi-Fi Connection and check for your System Updates by going to Settings >> About Phone >> System Updates.

5. Should this not work, please go back to step 2, but on step 3, please insert a SIM Card from a different Network Operator and proceed to step 4.

I did not try without a SIM, put a defunct SIM from another operator on the first try, but otherwise I followed these steps to the letter. I am still not clear who is at fault here, Nokia or EE, but clearly this bending over backwards to get a security patch applied is not good for the customers of either company.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.