by Kimberlin Investigator
Investigator

Nokia 3 software updates

Hi, I'm hoping that someone can talk me through this so to speak as I'm totally confused. I got a Nokia 3 through an EE shop last October. when I got home with it and charged it up it downloaded the latest OS update (7.1) and security patch fine but I never got any notifications about any further updates, despite often checking in the system updates section which always seems to tell me that my system is up to date. The phone had to go off for repair last month after refusing to charge (still under warranty, thank goodness so no charge) and it came back as version 7.1.1 with the March 2018 security patch. Since then nothing. The normal apps are updating fine but I don't seem to be able to get any software updates. I checked on the Nokia site earlier today and according to that I should have had quite a few of them including OS updates since getting the phone. Is there something else I should be doing to get the updates? According to Nokia, I should be getting them through my carrier.

20 REPLIES 20
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: Nokia 3 software updates

Hi @Kimberlin

Welcome to the community. 🙂

We have a fantastic smartphone software update blog that explains our process for testing and releasing software updates. 

Please have a look and let us know if you have any more questions. 🙂

Chris

Investigator

Hi Chris,

I've read that blog you referred me to several times but my phone is now still stuck on the March security patch meaning that there are at least 4 patches missing, the whole point of my getting this phone was because it was supposed to be getting these patches and updates. I can understand delays of a few weeks for testing etc but I don't think a minimum of 4 months behind is acceptable.

by

Hi @Kimberlin,

Although Nokia have a standard OS globally for this particular device, when performing over the air updates, they only permit approved builds to receive the update.

Nokia gives each individual network the opportunity to test the update to make sure it is optimised for use on the network. Because all networks have different platforms and services, the roll out time between networks can vary.

Our testing team at EE let the manufacturer know of any defects they find as quickly as possible, allowing Nokia to make any necessary changes in a timely manner.

We know it can be frustrating when you don’t have the latest update immediately, but we wouldn’t want an update to reach your phone that is detrimental to your user experience.

Thanks

James

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Hi

Did you get the repair done through EE and thus they updated it to 7.1.1?

Investigator

Hi Bellyman,

Yes, I did get the phone repair done through EE as it was still under warranty, When I put the sim card back in after the phone was returned to me, that was when it went to 7.1.1 and the March security patch.

Investigator

Hi James,

Thanks for letting me know this.

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

James

How is it possible a phone repaired by EE come back with software that has not been released by EE and thus incapable?

by

Hi @Bellyman

EE approved v7.1.1 at the turn of the year, but the updates are rolled out by Nokia, not EE.

We’ve requested an update from the manufacturer around the roll out of the software as the repair partner has flashed a phone with the version that they’re yet to roll out to EE customers directly.

Thanks

Chris

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Thanks for the update

Is there no follow up from EE on this. It seems very strange EE signed off on something and then sit for 8 months and a lot of customer interaction until they realise its not been rolled out.

Could this also be the case for a number of other devices and updates?

Surely there's an in house tracker for software updates even though there isn't one for end users.

Investigator

My carrier services app updated itself this morning and since then I've had security updates come up on my phone for April, May and June 2018 but still no sign of the actual OS updating to Oreo.

by

No problem, @Bellyman.

We’ve requested an update on this, and we continue to work closely with the manufacturers regarding their rollout of their software.

Chris

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

It would seem not close enough and there is no follow up to ensure your customers are getting the best possible experience and security and what EE has tested and signed off on for roll out.

This of course impacts EEs brand and customer satisfaction.. as in this case.

Can a review be done on all manufacturers so your claim of "work closely with the manufacturers" is substantiated

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

@Kimberlin do you believe or suspect these updates have come through due to the action taken from this forum post?  

Investigator

@Bellyman, I couldn't say one way or the other but I have my suspicions particularly when my phone went in for repair it came back with a message complaining that I hadn't kept the software up to date. I did tackle the repair agent about his message as I check for system updates at least once a week and there hadn't been any notifications since the initial one when I first purchased the phone. Since then I've taken to doing daily checks.

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Thanks and this highlights an issue i've been battling for years.
Transparency accountability and honesty in software updates and the process.
It's become apparent EE doesn't keep track of these issues and are not proactive it ensuring security and quality.

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Any more information on this @Christopher_G also please review this thread.

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Android/Nokia-5-security-updates/td-p/716003

I have to understand why a phone with non EE firmware might be blocked from receiving updates.

by

Hi @Bellyman,

Nokia's update process is slightly different to other manufacturers and is explained in this post.

Thanks

James

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

"Although Nokia have a standard OS globally for this particular device, when performing over the air updates, they only permit approved builds to receive the update."

In a device with firmware not linked to EE this build would and should be different and thus get the air updates.  It seems it is not linked to the build but the carrier its connected to.

This has been seen many many times and EE have never clarified. 

The other post goes one..

"Nokia gives each individual network the opportunity to test the update to make sure it is optimised for use on the network. Because all networks have different platforms and services, the roll out time between networks can vary.

Our testing team at EE let the manufacturer know of any defects they find as quickly as possible, allowing Nokia to make any necessary changes in a timely manner.

We know it can be frustrating when you don’t have the latest update immediately, but we wouldn’t want an update to reach your phone that is detrimental to your user experience."

This part is standard for all EE devices and well documented but it is not the issue here.

People seem not to be able to get updates on devices with non EE firmwares/builds whilst connected to EE.  Why?

Also as in the other post EE has not proactively checked on the updates its signed off on being rolled out in a timely manner.  We've yet to understand why for this as well.

by

Hi @Bellyman,

To clarify, Nokia has developed a new software update, which it has since sent to each network for testing. Nokia then waits for the networks to individually approve the update. As and when it receives approval from a network, Nokia then starts rolling it out to that network’s customers.

They are not currently developing separate builds for each network, like some manufacturers choose to do.

If you need more information about software updates for the specific Nokia handset you are using, please contact the manufacturer directly.

Thanks

James

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.