by bignose2 Contributor
Contributor

No Wifi Calling on S7 Edge since Nougat update - Solved

While posting this I worked out for myself, should have found sooner, I'm normally pretty quick with these things.. but in case someone has same trouble..

SGS7e Direct from EE, had for 1 year. Wifi calling always worked well

Just updated to Nougat.

Would not connect to wifi calling & could not find setting.

I am sure it was dead easy before, under dialer phone/settings/more 

I have nothing under settings now, just shows settings?? Again fairy sure there were other settings & not just wifi but anyway...

Now Settings/Applications/  ... three dots/ show system app (else hidden! & seem have to do this each time, does not remember)

/Phone  (mine was the first of the 3 "phone" listed)

/More settings

At bottom /Wifi calling (mine had been turned off)

I restart phone but still would not connect, perhaps if I waited longer.

I wandered into garden and down drive - only place I might get a brief small signal.

It then got a real signal & then connected WiFi calling icon.

While outside I did the \more settings (on same menu)  - not sure exactly but lists call forwarding/barring/waiting.

I hope this is not indicative of things to come from Nougat.

Early days but does seem more reluctant to connect to wifi calling, I know it always liked a good wifi signal but stood for some minutes 2 feet from router and it would not re-connect.

In fact, as I type struggling to get it to connect.

Oh! it just restarted itself.

To be fair I had not done a factory reset as is some hours re-installing & settings just as I like them.

No sure smart switch helps much but might give that a go.

Had cleared dalvic cache.

Still won't connect.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by bignose2 Contributor
Contributor
Solution

Re: No Wifi Calling on S7 Edge since Nougat update - Solved

Hi,

SOLVED, really this time.

I did a long post detailing my final sucess but does not seem to have got posted, so long story short as not doing again.

I put all WiFi Access points on my SGS7e on a Static IP & now connects to WiFi calling immediately, can switch AP's and as long as good'ish wifi signal it shows icon in under a seconds.

I use to be on IP assigned by my router or DHCP and neither works (although it was fine before Nougat) so it a bit odd but can't deny it is working & I switch back to DHCP or router assigned as it can take over an hour (& usually does) 

Internet & LAN are flawless on the other settings so strange that Wifi calling should fail but worth a go if anyone has similar trouble.

13 REPLIES 13
by
EE Employee

Hi and welcome to the Community @bignose2

So I can try to help get you sorted, please can I get you to pop your device into safe mode and see if WIFI calling is any better as this has worked for some users.

Turn On Safe Mode

1. Power the phone off.
  2. Once the phone is off and all lights are emitting, press and hold the “Power” button to turn the S7 back on.
  3. When the Galaxy logo appears on the screen, press and hold the “Volume Down” button.
  4. Continue to hold the “Volume Down” button until the phone completely boots. You will see the words “Safe Mode” 

Turn Off Safe Mode

To turn off Safe Mode, powering down, then back on should do the trick. Be sure to power completely down.

Let me know how you get on.

Many thanks,

Lee

by bignose2 Contributor
Contributor

Wifi calling won't staty connected!!

Wifi Calling connected for about 5 minutes on & off all evening. Not good!

Either due to the factory reset (still regreting) or some other thing I did the setting is now under phone/ ... /settings/more settings as well as where I originally found under settings/apps (show system apps) /more. So I have always been able to turn the setting on & it has briefly connected each time however 95% of the time is does not show the wifi calling icon & is not connected.

Reset every router/ap/modem I have. cleared cache a dozen times, reboot,on/off, wifi on/of, different AP's, wifi calling on/off with restart or shut down in between.  etc etc.

spent all evening. Did try the safe mode thing but did not help, I think was just to show settign which I could alread do.

Same on 2.4 ghz AP or 5 ghz.

I though Nougat had been around long enough to be bug free.

Desperate here as no signal at home or around my business.

Was always 99% reliable before update.

Any ideas, anyone having same problem. I'm pretty good at this stuff usually. Have nasty feeling ee bug.

However is odd that it connects at all but can't sustain.

I did wonder as in settings/apps/phone does says V.1.0.0 as if the first ever. 

Full wifi signal

by
EE Employee

Good Morning @bignose2

I've had a ask about and there's not any known issues with WiFi Calling since the update as far as we are aware.

When you put the device into safe mode did you test making some calls using WiFi Calling?

Dis you restore the device from a back up after factory re-setting it?

Thanks - Karen. Smiley Happy

by bignose2 Contributor
Contributor

Hi, thanks for the reply,

It is sort of working!

Once it connects it seems to hold the wifi calling but I have a few AP's due to the large area I cover and of course the phone moves between AP's.

If manually I change or it auto moves to a different AP it seem to rarely re-connect to wifi calling & not sure why eventually it may/does re-connect

Often an hour or so later it still has not, even if the phone has not moved & has full signal.

I can't find a pattern, all of a a sudden it might have connected but as I say could be after an hour. I have toggled every setting, restarts etc to see if I can force it to re-connect.

Before Nougat it was very reliable, would re-connect within seconds, I could flick between AP's and certainly within a minute it was showing the icon.

I did re-install using Smart Switch. I know better to do a full set up after a firmware & factory but is is a lot of work. Still is, even with smart switch. I have so many accounts & settings that it did take me a long evening & I am still finding stuff I need to activate or log-in.

It is strange, I would rather had expected all or nothing or at least a restart or wifi on/off to perhaps force it to re-connect.

I have read a lot of comments but seems mosty due to not finding the setting and other issues but a search does throw up quite a lot of comments. None that help me.

It might be fine, perhaps EE's end is a bit flacky & simply a coincidence. I know they have had brief trouble in the past.

I am tempted to ask for it to be de-activated & re-activated if that is possible but I think this could be un-wise & set off another set of problems, especially when it is nearly working.

I do need to investigate as I can't go around with no signal for a good % of the time, & worse not knowing unless I am contstantly looking at the phone.

Whilst sitting here I switched AP's, full wifi signal but NO re-connection to calling in over 15 minutes.

I think perhaps a wait & see unless anyone has some tips.

by
EE Employee

No problem @bignose2

It's certainly an odd one!

It couldn't do any harm speaking to customer services to ask them to remove the product and re-add it - if you do decide to try this it's always best to leave it 24-48 hours before getting it re-added.

Are you going anywhere where you could test it when just connecting to one connection?

Yeah most of the queries we are seeing are about the change in location on the device!

You may get someone posting soon who's having similar issues!

Keep us updated with how it goes!

Thanks - Karen. Smiley Happy

by bignose2 Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

This time a full factory reset with individual re-installation of everything (lot of work)

No better.

Tried on different network

No better

I rarely actually notice it reconnect, I keep checking for up to an hour or so & nothing but later on it usually has connected.

As soon as I move AP it losses and cycle begins again

So basically in my situation I have Emergency Calls Only for over 50% of the time.

I have missed quite a few important texts now and really not happy.

I have rock solid & fast internet.

Also slightly different subject but if anyone reading this and thinking about delaying I think that may be wise.

Battery Life is also WORSE on Nougat. Looking at other forums & different carriers, mixed reviews (so make your own mind up) but quite a lot of talk of worse performance and certainly that is my experience.

Allowing for the fact that I have had some time tryign to work out the wifi calling failure I think at least 10% worse, Won't make end of day now and easily did before.

Switched off all the usual bad things, location etc etc.

I know more features but I thought meant to have clever battery saving features. I was hoping for improvment so so far on a number of counts Nougat is a massive FAILURE.

I have a feeling it is not just me & think as more updates filter through we will hear about them. Hopefully not and somewhere mine will get fixed.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @bignose2,

I think the best next step would be to get in touch with customer services so our technical team can investigate this issue for you.

Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

James

by bignose2 Contributor
Contributor
Solution

Hi,

SOLVED, really this time.

I did a long post detailing my final sucess but does not seem to have got posted, so long story short as not doing again.

I put all WiFi Access points on my SGS7e on a Static IP & now connects to WiFi calling immediately, can switch AP's and as long as good'ish wifi signal it shows icon in under a seconds.

I use to be on IP assigned by my router or DHCP and neither works (although it was fine before Nougat) so it a bit odd but can't deny it is working & I switch back to DHCP or router assigned as it can take over an hour (& usually does) 

Internet & LAN are flawless on the other settings so strange that Wifi calling should fail but worth a go if anyone has similar trouble.

by
EE Employee

by bignose2 Contributor
Contributor

Little more info on My solution to my own problem & I think why I have not seen many others with similar problems. As I am with TalkTalk & I think their DNS is the problem

As I say was fixed by putting the phone on static IP & setting DNS.

99% sure it is actually the DNS that was the problem (I did suspect but was just happy to have it working so did not investigate further then) I think static IP was not in itself relevant)

My router was set to get DNS from my provider (as left blank) on the phone to fix I tried 8.8.8.8. google's.

I have since put the router on googles 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4 and let the phone DHCP.

Wifi calling now works perfectly without Static or phone set DNS.

I am with TalkTalk and perhaps not many others are with ee phones and latest Nougat.

It is still odd that it worked before Nougat & rest of internet is fine.

Positive side effect is that I am fairly sure loading/connecting to first web page is quicker so suspect TT DNS was poor anyway. Might be my imaingation but I don't think so.

Also ref. Nougat Battery life. I had a moan before as really was 50% worse but now it is really good, at least as good as before, perhaps fractionally better.

I think its optimzation it working & put a lot of background (unused) apps to sleep. 

Also I did know that not having a signal is a massive battery drain when it is trying to hunt for a signal all the time so lack of wifi calling was a double whammy.

Someone also suggested

"Just had exactly the same problem and fixed it by going to Settings, connections, data usage, restrict networks. All networks had been restricted. As soon as I enabled my network Wi-Fi calling started working again."

... but mine was fine & not restricted.

by
EE Employee

largeprize.png

Hi @bignose2

I want to make your week start great.

I love the fact that you have tried to help a fellow community member out, by giving some great advice on troubleshooting WIFI calling.

I'm going to send you a private message here to get some further details so we can send you out for a delicious meal on us.

Keep up the great work.

Great to have you as part of community.

Many thanks,

Lee

by bignose2 Contributor
Contributor

Another follow up, all still OK but wondered if anyone had any info. on a brief outage.

My Wifi calling had been 100% since changing the DNS but this morning it would not connect. Over the last year it did this rarely, from time to time, perhaps a morning without signal and back on with no further probem for weeks. I put it down to a glitch, perhaps ee's side.

Anyway did the same this morning, lots of restarts, tried static IP, etc just to shake it up some. Nothing worked. Again, not too worried this time.

However a walk down the road to get a real signal to check messages etc.

On return wifi calling working fine again, instant re-connection moving between AP's etc. and been fine rest of morning.

Something must have got sorted by getting a real signal and I can't think what.

It would be nice to reset at home (if it does it again) without wandring off down the road doing actrobatics to hold a signal for more than a few seconds.

The only thing I did notice is the ee app was updated, and I did load it whilst on the walk.

I can't imagine this had any thing to do with it but wondering. Of course the ee app does not work properly over wifi so no use at home to try.

Hope things are more settled, I moved from VF (using sure signal) thinking the more broad wifi would be better in my area where signals are so rubbish anywhere but the SS was extremely reliable (after initial teething problems). Rest of family VF contracts running out & was going to move them all but not too sure now.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @bignose,

This sounds like a temporary glitch.

I don't think either connecting to the mobile network or My EE would have forced the re-connection.

If it happens again I would report it with customer services.

Thanks

James

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.