by Jinx1980 Investigator
Investigator

New contract on Huawei P30 pro and Google removel in future

So a couple months ago I took out contract on the Huawei P30 Pro with the recent news that feature devices by the manufacturer will loose Google support and main apps from Google it also mentioned that current P30 users in most likely hood not get the Q update making the handset no longer future proof nor secure and also this will undoubtedly dramatically lower the true cost of the handset even now consumers are rushing  into and sell there Huawei devices and  the future value of the decices when upgrading will be massively hurt by the Google ban 

What is EE going to do to support its customers being the biggest network base in UK as it's us the consumer that will be left out pocket with eventually undesirable device we can't sell or experience future Android updates ?

You should really be looking at ways to minimise the impact of your customers in reduced line rental or the option to return the devices regardless of your normal new handset return policy allowing customers to swap to a parable handset on a similar tariff and make Huawei take the blow financially for the current situation it's entirely unfair that as your customers we should suffer the brunt of the political reasoning behind Google move 

I look forward to your response and I would like seeing as I have multiple devices with you to be given the option to return the device and select a different brand of phone regardless I'm out the return window 

9 REPLIES 9
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: New contract on Huawei P30 pro and Google removel in future

@Jinx1980   You’ll have to wait as the device is not faulty.  EEs contract with you is to provide you a working signal all be it for network issues. You’ll not get a reduced tariff because of this and EE didn’t cause this issue so EE don’t have to bare any cost or loose because of this.  

Its to early to say what will happen as Google could get the go ahead and support the device is the future.  

by
EE Community Support Team

Good Evening @Jinx1980

Google has confirmed that services like Google Play & security from Google Play Protect will keep working on your existing Huawei device. Huawei has also confirmed that existing customers will continue to receive security updates and after sales service. We'll continue to work closely with Google and Huawei to provide further details as we receive it. 

Thanks, 

Katie 🙂

by Jinx1980 Investigator
Investigator

Yes but that doesn't negate the fact after doing my research online my
handset on avg has lost 48% of its retail resellable value within less then
2 months so would be worthless by time I upgrade in 2 years

And I feel sorry for p20 users as that's wiped 80% of there retail
resellable value

So you EE have a responsibility to there customers to get involved and to
seek arrangements with Huawei on what is going to be done

I think a partition should be raised on the you gov website to have this
discussed further from a consumer rights point of view
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Jinx1980    I’m sorry you’re basing that on the decreasing value of the device.   Exactly what would be the value of the device in two years time ?   The device at present is fully operational and it is not faulty.  And under consumer law because it’s not faulty there is nothing wrong with it.   

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @Jinx1980 

You clearly don't understand how this works. 

EE, The UK Government, Huawei cannot do anything as the president of the United States signed an executive order putting Huawei on their black list. This means that no US company can do business with them. This includes phone parts and software. 

You have 90 days worth of updates left, once up then the software on your phone, is it's final build.

It's a fair argument to say your phone is valueless in 90 days as who wants a phone which is running old firmware? 

Unless the US reverse their decision, or Huawei release their own firmware, then that's that. 

This also applies to Honour phones. 

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Jinx1980 Investigator
Investigator

Well the fact EE Incorporate the full cost within your tariff over the 2
years and flagship handsets tend to hold decent value over that period of
time but now with the Sharpe loss in such short time there won't be
anything at the end 2 years and there certainly no value as who would want
a phone with no updates security patches etc
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Jinx1980   The cost of the device is paid for by the customer not EE and  you agreed to a contact to pay back over the term of the contract the set amount as stated in that contract,  just because at “present” it seems like you’ll get no more updates to that device it doesn’t mean it will remain that way,  so if EE reduces your tariff now will you be happy if the device starts getting updates again and then EE asks you to pay them what you originally agreed to in full.  I think not.    The contract you agreed to is a legal document and you agreed to the terms of that document.    The device is not faulty and no matter what has happened your still in contact to the amount that you agreed to pay until them minimum term.    

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Chris_B 

If EE allow you to unlock and sell the device after 6 months, then that cannot be the case. You must pay for the device (or the equivalent cost EE paid to the manufacturer) within this period for them to allow you ownership after this period. 

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Northerner  You gain full ownership of the device after 6 months but your still purchasing it over the term of the contract.  

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.