by Ja123 Investigator
Investigator

My phone keeps saying it cannot connect to the Mobile Data Service.

I am struggling to use data, calls and texts despite having topped up another £25 yesterday which works out at £50 in less than a month.  Please don't ask me to call customer services as I can't afford to top up anymore.

12 REPLIES 12
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: My phone keeps saying it cannot connect to the Mobile Data Service.

Hi @Ja123,

Thanks for visiting the EE Community.

Are you using a pay as you go pack?

James

by Andrewworr Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Good afternoon @Ja123, I hope you are well

I know how frustrating it can be when things don't work. Don't worry, the good folk here at the EE Community strive in helping people just like you, so you've definitely come to the right place.

You can't afford to top up right now - got it.

I understand you've spent £50 on top ups in less than a month, so let's try to make sure you can use the allowances you've paid for.

Please could you confirm the package you have purchased? 

Right now My EE seems to be down, but you should be able to check your remaining allowances by texting BALANCE to 150. Are you able to do this and let me know what happens?

Thanks for coming to the EE Community. I hope this has helped and I look forward to your reply so I can help further.

Andrew

by Ja123 Investigator
Investigator

Hi James,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, it is a PAYG phone, its a cheap smartphone.
by
EE Community Support Team

No problem @Ja123

What response do you get if you text BALANCE to 150? - Great tip @Andrewworr!

James

by Ja123 Investigator
Investigator

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for the reply,

Yes, I am aware of my allowances.  I have unlimited texts, up to 2000 mins and my data balance rolled over when I topped up again yesterday.  The problem is not my allowances, I just cannot seem to access them.  When I switch my phone on, it says "Data Connection Only".  I checked for signal problems in my street and there are none.

by Ja123 Investigator
Investigator

When I text 150 they inform me that my allowances transferred onto my new balance yesterday, I have 2000 minutes, unlimited texts and my data rolled over is about 4g, so there is more than enough there. I have checked for signal problems in my street and there are none. When I switch my phone on, it says "Data Connection Only" yet I cannot even access my data let alone calls.

Thanks again for replying.
Highlighted
Established Contributor

Thank you for the quick response confirming the information @Ja123

Please could you try removing the SIM card for a few minutes and then reinsert it? You might need a SIM removal tool, otherwise a paperclip should work.

Also please double check you haven't got aeroplane/flight mode enabled and your mobile data is definitely enabled.

Thank you, I hope this helps. If not, please reply again and I'll aim to help further

Andrew

by Ja123 Investigator
Investigator

Hi, yes I have checked that data is on and checked it isn't on airplane mode etc as I read EE Community notes before I messaged the page. I have taken sim card out and put back in etc.
Established Contributor

I'm sorry this hasn't helped @Ja123

Are you able to temporarily insert your SIM into a different device (that's on the EE network or unlocked) to help detect whether this could be an issue with the SIM card itself?

Thanks, I look forward to your response

Andrew

by Ja123 Investigator
Investigator

Hi Andrew,

I'll have to try when I get back home.

Very grateful for the replies. Will reply again shortly.
Established Contributor

Thanks for updating on this @Ja123. Once you've tried please leave a reply here so I can help further.

Andrew

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Are you on EE, Orange or T-Mobile?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions