by Graeme2812 Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Looks like Pie has arrived on my S9+ via FOTA.

Pulled via FOTA this morning.

Screenshot_20190122-113546_Software update.jpgNew Update Available

17 REPLIES 17
by Marrila Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Re: Looks like Pie has arrived on my S9+ via FOTA.

Just waiting for the Note 9 roll out, this was quick from EE though as the official unlocked  firmware was only released this morning by Samsung, so no carrier delay , hoping the same applies when the unlocked UK note 9 software is released 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

That's not EE firmware but probably unbranded UK (BTU).

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Established Contributor

Contract handset via Carphone Warehouse, so yes, not EE branded firmware i don't think.

So far I'm liking it. Qucker, more intuative, and a fresher look.

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@Graeme2812 @XRaySpeX @Marrila my mother received it today on her S9 which she also got from CPW.

by SkoobyDu Investigator
Investigator

Nothing has arrived yet on my EE supplied S9+.

Get a move on EE, how much bloatware do you need to add? 

by Cloudane Established Contributor
Established Contributor

They have to do a load of "testing" so it'll probably be months yet...

Just wondering if I can flash a generic firmware via ODIN, do you lose 4G Calling and/or Wifi Calling if you do that?

Established Contributor

To answer my own question, yes you can flash the BTU version of the firmware, if willing to factory reset (need to use the 'non home' CSC file in the flash files, which wipes the phone).  And VoLTE and VoWifi work just fine 🙂

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

If you used the home file instead it wouldn't have done a factory reset.

But is is advisory you factory reset after a major update anyway.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Android 10 Beta)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
Established Contributor

I tried the home one at first for that reason, but the update froze towards the end.  Googling suggested that it's what happens with a change of CSC if you don't do a factory reset... 

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

I have done it before changing H3G to BTU using the home. As I didnt want the hassle of a factory reset at the time. 

It works fine.

Highlighted
by Alistair94 Investigator
Investigator

My CPW supplied S9 plus got the pie update this week. I am confused at what is going on with VoLTE and Wifi calling. After enabling wifi calling there is no wifi calling icon in the status bar. I can only get it to appear by turning off wifi calling and wifi, turn off VoLTE calls, change network mode to 3g/2g then turn on wifi and wifi calling, The wifi calling icon appears and remains after changing back to LTE/3g/2g. Reverting to enabling VoLTE calls results in the icon disappearing again after a while. I am not that tech savvy but it appears that when at home for example you cannot gain priority for wifi calling over VoLTE or am I misunderstanding how this works. I'm pretty sure before the update the wifi calling icon was always there.

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@Alistair94 wrote:

My CPW supplied S9 plus got the pie update this week. I am confused at what is going on with VoLTE and Wifi calling. After enabling wifi calling there is no wifi calling icon in the status bar. I can only get it to appear by turning off wifi calling and wifi, turn off VoLTE calls, change network mode to 3g/2g then turn on wifi and wifi calling, The wifi calling icon appears and remains after changing back to LTE/3g/2g. Reverting to enabling VoLTE calls results in the icon disappearing again after a while. I am not that tech savvy but it appears that when at home for example you cannot gain priority for wifi calling over VoLTE or am I misunderstanding how this works. I'm pretty sure before the update the wifi calling icon was always there.

Happening to my S8+ as well but My wifi/internet is not the best so I think it has reverted on Android P to pick the strongest signal and to me 4G is better than my Broadband, Yes the only reason I haven't bothered changing from standard broadband to a 4G one from EE is because I get my Sky Broadband free of charge. (I am waiting for fibre to appear at my address)

So it may be the same for you.

Established Contributor

I read that the EE firmware uses slightly different partitioning, could be related to that I guess.  Not the end of the world, just a case of signing into a lot of stuff again...

Investigator

I think you hit the nail on the head as I have just noticed wifi calling icon replacing VoLTE icon in different part of house then reverting so must be seeking strongest signal automatically.

Established Contributor

@Cloudane  - I can confirm that i have VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling on my handset which isn't EE branded firmware. (See origional post pic) 

@Alistair94 - I'm assuming you are in an area that has good 4G coverage, otherwise you won't get VoLTE. Same with Wi-Fi calling - It won't show unless you have a good Wi-Fi connection. I think EE reccomends a connection of at least 1mb for Wi-Fi Calling.

My understanding is the handset should switch seamlessly to the strongest connection (Wi-Fi Calling or VoLTE) available.

by SkoobyDu Investigator
Investigator

I've had the network locked update this morning. Screenshot_20190129-072501_Software update.jpg

Investigator

Been watching it for a couple of days, and as you say it appears to be switching seamlessly between VoLTE and Wifi calling depending on connection and where I am in the house.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions