by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

List devices behind on security and OS updates.

Hi all 

As we know EE has the fastest network but is the slowest for rolling out Android OS updates and security updates.

Google release security updates for its OS on a regular basis as does companies such as Samsung Sony LG and Motorola. Some of these are bug fixes or additional features but a large portion are critical security updates to close flaws that could be exploited.

I'm sure many of you have heard the radio adverts for cyber security awareness from some of our banks where it says "you should ensure you mobile phone is up to date with the latest software", well what do we do when it's our mobile carrier thats holding back the updates...

I've seen lots of seperate threads on this type of issue so lets bring them all together in one thread.

I've spent over a year now trying to get some sort of information on this issue for a Samsung S6 but its come to nothing.  I've heard every excuse from "most people don't care about updates" to "there'll be an update in the next week or so" only for no update to come.  I know EE are aware of this issue and seem to ignore it and blame others but i would like them to know WE CARE ABOUT OUR DATA and would like our phones to have the latest updates when they're released and not when EE see fit to make our devices secure.

Mark L

38 REPLIES 38
by Profile closed
Not applicable

Re: List devices behind on security and OS updates.

Hello @Bellyman sorry to hear you are still waiting for your phone update - there is no system or account access to query this information further I am sorry but EE release updates as soon as they are available so hopefully they should be released soon. 🙂 
by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Tom you are wrong but please prove you are correct. 

by Profile closed
Not applicable

Hello @Bellyman EE would have no reason to withhold updates. Once they are tested and approved they are usually pushed out as soon as possible. 🙂 
by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Tom sorry but that is not proof.

Please don't comment on something unless you have information that is 100% correct. 

As i explained i have been looking into this issue for sometime and even staff at EE know the updates are being delayed across many devices for no real reason.

Tom please look into the date Samsung released the EE specific build of its security updates for the S6 and when the last update was pushed on to the devices. Then find an answer for why the delay.  Many have asked on this forum and i have even asked an Admin of this forum who checked with the tech team, management and PR all had no idea or was unwilling to comment.

So please Tom prove it

by Profile closed
Not applicable

Hello @Bellyman sorry to hear you have not received the response you are looking for yet. 

I hope you are able to make progress with this soon. I am not an Android user so I am unaffected by any delays in updates currently. 🙂 
by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Tom why did you feel you had the information to help then?  

You've added no value and increased frustration and your initial comment "EE release updates as soon as they are available so hopefully they should be released soon." was without knowledge, experience and a total guess..  Not helpful

by Profile closed
Not applicable

Sorry @Bellyman I will leave you to it.

Enjoy the rest of your day. 🙂 
by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

There is a Change.org petition for this issue and currently has 630 signatures

https://www.change.org/p/ee-uk-please-start-releasing-android-security-updates

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

I've had an update from EE on the issue of security updates.  I'm giving EE a chance to announce it before i put it on here but i hope its a win.

We're still no closers to getting OS updates in a suitable time frame but hopefully this change will also help that.

Mark L

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Meanwhile in unbranded land.......

"Earlier today, Samsung started distributing this month’s security patch for all factory unlocked variants of the Galaxy S6 edge+ purchased in Europe. As you’re probably well aware by now, the upgrade — dated January 1, 2017 – addresses a total of 67 Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures (CVE) in the Android OS and transports an additional 28 fixes for the firm’s latest smartphones."

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

In the recent info i've been given EE again say the updates Samsung have created for them would not of a "sufficient quality user experience all around, not just for EE services".

I find this hard to believe when its been rolled out for Samsungs own devices and this device via other carriers.  So what is EE insisiting is done to the updates?? Why are their choice's so different from others.  I know in the past there has been issues with WIFI calling but this has been address and is in the last update so further updates should not cause the same issues.  So i'll keep pushing for an answer and a change in their update policy.

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

BTU update with Jan 2017 security patches is now rolling out to S6 devices.  358mb update. 

Meanwhile on the "fastest" network we are still crying into our May 2016 device. 

BTU Jan 2017 update for S6 live!

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Anyone got data for releases on other devices such as as Pixel LG and more.

I'd like to know how up to date EE is with those manufacturers

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

I will be banned after this post but here goes.

I had tried time and again to get clarity over EE android updates whilst under my brendonx moniker. I didn't get anywhere with it. 

I was in constant and direct contact with the old Community Manager Ed_H and then with the new current community manager @ElenaG  they both agreed and tried to get clarity and to post it publicly if they did. They were unable to help.

Now both these CMs were great at their jobs. Helped me out plenty for times and got things sorted when needed. If they couldn't get an answer then there must be some one in the firmware department who thought that no one needs to know when they are coming out. 

I understand if they give a date and miss it that would cause uproar but they could give a rough estimate of like week commencing.... or during the month of...

I will from the S8 buy straight from Samsung and get sim only sims to by pass this delay.

Also you can't compare with Nexus or Pixel as they use stock android and are controlled by Google.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@BrendonH I would do the same with my s7 edge and flash BTU firmware but the issue is Volte is very useful and only supported on EE firmware Smiley Frustrated

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@Damienw1 wrote:

@BrendonH I would do the same with my s7 edge and flash BTU firmware but the issue is Volte is very useful and only supported on EE firmware Smiley Frustrated

That's where they get you.

I'm currently with Three and had installed BTU on my S6 Edge but I needed WiFi calling at work so had to re-install the H3G firmware.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

We shouldn't have to make any changes or compensations for our devices and carrier. The carrier should want to provide the best possible service at all times at all levels. 

The question is why don't EE want to

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

I also think the question is why are all Apple iPhones supported with all features no matter where they are from and get updates direct which EE seem to have no say in.

why can't android be the same I don't see a difference 

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Google is moving closer to that system but it needs carriers such as EE to help. EE have made a choice to delay android updates to an unacceptable level it's leaving customer devices open it security flaws and attacks. But why? Why do they do it. 

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.