by natalieeeee31 Investigator
Investigator

Latest update on S7 - Battery draining problems (could VO LTE be the problem?)

I did the latest update on my Samsung Galaxy S7, since this update my Battery is draining rapidly! It was on 100% when i left for work at 8am, i havent touched the phone as i've been working, now its lunch time my phone battery is on 45%! Its happened alot since the update!

I have had a new icon appear in the top right hand of my screen since doing the update, it looks abit like -  'VO)) LTE' (with the LTE underneath), I understand that this is 4G calling/HD calling, could this be the problem for my battery draining? Can i undo the update?

Its driving me mad - seeing the icon there aswell as it majorly draining my battery. I have deleted all my apps and its had no effect so it wasnt any of the apps. The only problem i can think of is that its to do with the update and the 'VO)) LTE' icon?!

I've searched online and searched through my phones settings and i have no option to turn the 'VO)) LTE' off.

Any help would be appreciated!

7 REPLIES 7
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Latest update on S7 - Battery draining problems (could VO LTE be the problem

@natalieeeee31   The icon on your device is not causing the battery drain.

Your device has been updated but your device is also doing updates in the background to itself.  It might take a few hours to sort itself out,  you need to give it time. 

by Profile closed
Not applicable

Re: Latest update on S7 - Battery draining problems (could VO LTE be the problem

I have the same experience with VoLTE over the last month or so I've been using it.

Disabling it by disabling 4G (the only crude method currently I know of of switching it off. There doesn't seem to be a switch in Phone/Settings) or if I can stay connected via WiFi calling most of the day sometimes my battery life is much extended (especially WiFi calling)

I guess it's down to whether the pros of VoLTE (seamless handoff between WiFi calling and VoLTE and use of any 800Mhz masts for calling) outway the cons for you.

Investigator

I did the update for this last Saturday 31st Jan - its been like it ever since. So something within the update - the only thing i can see that happened during the update is the VO)) LTE update so its got to be that.

Surely it still wouldnt be updating now after 10ish days???

Investigator

Thanks Woodmj - im glad its not just me!!

Having WIFI calling or VO)) LTE makes no odds to me as i only really use 'Whats app' 'facebook' and general texting. I rarely call people and i use a telephone all day whilst im at work - so the thought of speaking to someone on the telephone outside of work isnt great! I prefer to text or use other forms of instant messages!

by
EE Employee

Hi @Profile closed and @natalieeeee31

Please try and delete your device cache as that may help clear any left over upgrade files that could be causing an issue.

You can do that by following the below.

1. Turn off the device.
  2. Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Home key, then press and hold the Power key.
  3. When the device logo screen displays, release only the Power key
  4. When the Android logo displays, release all keys ('Installing system update' will show for about 30 - 60 seconds before showing the Android system recovery menu options).
  5. Press the Volume down key several times key to highlight 'wipe cache partition.'
  6. Press the Power key to select.
  7. Press the Volume down key to highlight 'yes' an press the Power key to select.
  8. When the wipe cache partition is complete, 'Reboot system now' is highlighted.
  9. Press the Power key to restart the device.

Let me know how you get on.

Many thanks,

Lee

by Kyrieb27

Hi Lee I've just tried this on my Samsung galaxy a3 2016 as this sign came up on my phone today but it's not got rid of it is there anything else I could try? 

From kyrie 

by Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

Volte doesn't cause your battery to drain. It just means your 4G is being used for calls. If you turned Volte of then the handset needs to switch to 3G or 2G to make calls which uses more battery.

There something else that causes battery drain. In the case of the A3, this was the last update which prevents the battery from fully charging. (It looks like it has but it hasn't). I believe there is a new update that solves this.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.