by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

LG Messaging App Crashes and LG Deny any fault - Help Please!

Hi,

Although I have had the LG G4 for a year, the messaging app keeps crashing when EE send account messages with the 'EE' header (parentheses included). All other messages are OK. EE Support did some tests with sending messages and the LG G4 crashed every time. When using a stock Google messaging App, it worked.

However, the Google messaging App does not manage SIM card messages which is where messages end up when on an in-car hands free, so the LG app is needed in a working state.

LG deny there is anything wrong and have come to the conclusion that this is a problem with the format of EE SMS messages and EE should change their headers!

Has anyone used a newer LG G6 and if so, are the 'EE' messages received OK? This is important as if you are outside the EU, you will NOT receive any roaming cost information sent by EE, or any system information relating to your account.

If nobody has had success, then I will move the entire family to the Galaxy series which I know does work.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor
Solution

Re: LG Messaging App Crashes and LG Deny any fault - Help Please!

Thanks - yes, I did a full factory reset about 6 months ago and still the issue persisted.

Reason for asking is that despite LGs rather strange dismissal of the issue, we did recreate it with EE and I do like the LG phones.

On the basis that you have confirmed that you do indeed receive messages with the header 'EE' (parenthesis included), I may well stay with LG and upgrade.

I had initial issues with EE as we found that EE was the header for marketing and 'EE' for account/system/billing messages!

I did see on an old thread here that someone else had the same issues with a G4 where they received no activation or account SMS messages and that the LG messaging App kept crashing when 'EE' wass in the sender ID .

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@Northerner

I believe you have the G6 right? Are you finding this problem?

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Android 10 Beta)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

No - I have the G4 and due to LGs rather arrogant stance on the isue, I wanted to see if any EE users with the G6 have experienced this phenomena of if LG quietly fixed it.

I 'may' then upgrade to the G6. There were also some other issues with the G4 Mail App with MS Exchange where althougfh it worked, all the folders were muddled and in teh wrong place!

Thanks.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@svanetempest  @BrendonH Was speaking to someone else with that question as they have the G6.  

The G6 I used had no issue with text messages so I have to ask have you tried resetting the device back to stock. 

Highlighted
by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor
Solution

Thanks - yes, I did a full factory reset about 6 months ago and still the issue persisted.

Reason for asking is that despite LGs rather strange dismissal of the issue, we did recreate it with EE and I do like the LG phones.

On the basis that you have confirmed that you do indeed receive messages with the header 'EE' (parenthesis included), I may well stay with LG and upgrade.

I had initial issues with EE as we found that EE was the header for marketing and 'EE' for account/system/billing messages!

I did see on an old thread here that someone else had the same issues with a G4 where they received no activation or account SMS messages and that the LG messaging App kept crashing when 'EE' wass in the sender ID .

Thanks.

by wlisan

I'd suggest clearing the application's cache and data. This will delete all your prior messages, so make a backup if there's really something critical there.

Go to Settings / Application manager, scroll right to the "All" tab, then scroll down until you find the messaging app. Tap it, then tap the Clear Cache button. Reboot. (Clearing cache won't delete your texts.)

If that doesn't solve it, repeat the above but delete data and cache, and reboot again.

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Did all that - as well as factory reset. The issue could be reproduced.

So fed up with LG simply saying that EE must change their text headers (as if!) that I have ditched LG and moved back to Samsung with the S7 Edge. No problems. LG has probably lost a few sales due to this complete lack of acknowledging the issue and helping. A shame as otherwise the phone was pretty good.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions