by
EE Community Manager

LG G6 camera review - thoughts from the EE Community Stars

[ Edited ]

The Community Stars have been asked to test drive the new LG G6, and we've set them some tasks. This task is using the two 13-megapixel rear cameras and a front-facing 5-megapixel shooter plus a Square Camera app perfect for Instagrammers.

Using the LG G6 cameras please take the following types of photos and share them here in the Community: 

• Night time shots
  • Food shots
  • Lifestyle shot
  • Travel shot
  • Wide angle shot
  • Square shots
  • Create a GIF

How did you find the camera performance? Did you find the appropriate camera feature to complete the above task easily?  How easy or difficult was it share your images on social media?

Have you got any questions for the Stars? Tap reply below and set them your own challenges or questions.

9 REPLIES
by
Grand Master

Re: LG G6 camera review - thoughts from the EE Community Stars

[ Edited ]

The camera is fantastic and it has to be one of if not the not best cameras on a phone. 

Unfortunately because of the high quality of the images some of them exceed what can be uploaded.    

You find my some of the pictures I took HERE and I will be adding more to this as time goes by.

Posting images to Instagram was a so easy just take the picture select where you want it to go Instagram/cloud storage/email/text message,  you can even set it up so the moment you take a square picture its sent to the destination of your choosing.

FullSizeRender.jpg

There are plenty of camera options for you to play aroud with.

Screenshot_2017-04-18-17-03-09.pngScreenshot_2017-04-18-17-02-55.pngScreenshot_2017-04-18-17-02-59.png

by
Star Contributor

TiffJ wrote:

The Community Stars have been asked to test drive the new LG G6, and we've set them some tasks. This task is using the two 13-megapixel rear cameras and a front-facing 5-megapixel shooter plus a Square Camera app perfect for Instagrammers.

Using camera please take the following types of photos and share them here in the Community: 

• Night time shots
  • Food shots
  • Lifestyle shot
  • Travel shot
  • Wide angle shot
  • Square shots
  • Create a GIF

How did you find the camera performance? e.g. Did you find the appropriate camera feature to complete the above task easily, how easy or difficult was it share your images on you social media?

Have you got any questions for the Stars? Tap reply below and set them your own challenges or questions.

I found the camera to be really easier to use and the settings, mode, colour/filter effect, front/back camera button, flash mode, exposure mode, zoom/wide angle mode (along the top edge when using the LG G6 in landscape view) video, photo mode buttons, back buttons were very clearly labelled and also very easy to understand what they were for and I immediately knew exactly what them particular buttons were for, before I pressed them. All of these were easy at hand and due to the large screen, were not bunched up too close to each other (which you do get on some other Smartphones). To sum the camera up, I found the controls very clearly labelled, and the interface was very clear and beautifully laid out. I would go as far to say that it was one of simplest cameras I have used on a Smartphone. I wasn’t left once wondering what a particular control/on-screen option was for, logically named and idiot proof.

The time to take a photo and then be ready to take the next was immediate in my use, I also took a few burst shots (this is done by keeping your finger on the on-screen shutter button) or by using the volume up button (again by keeping it pressed down) on the side of the LG G6. The LG G6 just kept on rapidly taking photo after photo, you could tell the processor that LG had chosen for the G6 was very capable. The burst photos option is extremely useful for when trying to take difficult subjects or perhaps subjects that are on the move. It means you can fire off the camera, and through the many photos that will be took, the chance of having the photo you desire will be much greater than if you were taking individual shots. The burst photo shooting is a feature that will be extremely useful to most if not all of LG G6 owners I feel.

The focusing was very fast and I liked the little beep to confirm that you are focused.

A little criticism I had with the camera lens placement is, the narrower width of the LG G6, I found at times when using the camera, I was getting my fingers in the way of the camera lens. But I got used to this and too be fair, with the trend for making small bezel Smartphones, then this problem is unavoidable in my opinion.

SOME of the photos, I found were a little too soft for my liking when viewed on a large computer monitor, but I hasten to add that the same photos looked crisp, detailed and very sharp indeed when viewed on the LG G6, but too be fair, I think most people will be viewing the photos on the LG G6 and not on a large screen computer monitor.

Night shots taken with just street lighting were a little noisy/grainy, but again too be fair, any other Smartphone and even expensive standalone cameras give noisy/grainy photos in these same low-light situations, so this isn’t a criticism on the LG G6 camera.

In my use of the LG G6, I sometimes found that the image stabilisation was lacking somewhat. This resulted in a slightly blurred photo, and this was with photos I had took when I was standing still. I found the colours of the photos were very true to life and looking back and forward between the subject I had just taken the photo of, and the photo I was seeing on the LG G6’s screen, I could not tell any difference from the colours of the actual subject, and the photo I was seeing on the LG G6’s screen. The superb screen on the LG G6 showed the colours off superbly and very naturally too. Some OLED screens can for want of a better word, exaggerate the colours somewhat and make them appear more deeper/vivid in colour than they actually are, but this was not the case with the LG G6. I really was extremely impressed with not just the screen quality on the LG G6, but also its colour representation, you can tell LG have a heritage in screen making, whether small (in their Smartphones) or large (in their TV’s). Well done LG on the screen choice for the G6.

After taking the photo, it was very easy and obvious as to how I would share the photo on social media. Basically, when I went to the photo I was wanting to add on to social media, there is a very obvious “Share” icon. After touching this, I was presented with a “Share Via” menu and from there, I just needed to touch on the social media option that I was wanting to add it to (Facebook in my case). After choosing this, the photo was on my Timeline and ready to enter text. Very easy and very clear, and I cannot suggest anything that could have been done, to make a very common and frequent task, any easier. One last thing to mention, was the ability to create a GIF. I only found out about this, when I kept my finger on the shutter button, and I was then presented with a GIF option on the camera screen. From there, I chose the GIF option and the resulting GIF was saved to the phone. It was a really fun feature and one that will be excellent for sharing on social media for example.

Another camera feature I came across (after reading up a bit on the LG G6) was the feature I will list below. When you are in the camera app, and are using the front facing camera. You can hold your hand up in a sort of "high five" gesture and you then get a couple of options overlaid on the screen. One is showing that if you move your hand over to the left side of the screen and close your hand, one selfie photo will be taken. The other option is move your hand towards the right side of the screen and close your hand, and in that instance four selfies will be taken. Either way, if you do then close your hand, a countdown from three begins and then the selfie is taken.

If I'm honest, I found it a bit of a gimmick and probably one of those features you will try when you first get the phone or will show your mates and then not use it again. I found it far quicker to just press the shutter button to take the selfie.

Here's the requested photos:

Night time shot:

Night time shotNight time shot

Food shots:

Food shotsFood shotsFood shotsFood shotsFood shotsFood shotsFood shotsFood shotsFood shotsFood shotsFood shotsFood shots

Food shots taken with flashFood shots taken with flashFood shots taken with flashFood shots taken with flash

Lifestyle shots:

Lifestyle shotsLifestyle shotsLifestyle shotsLifestyle shots

Travel shots:

Travel shotsTravel shotsTravel shotsTravel shotsTravel shotsTravel shotsTravel shotsTravel shotsTravel shotsTravel shotsTravel shots, close-up of flower blossomTravel shots, close-up of flower blossomTravel shots, BluebellsTravel shots, BluebellsTravel shots, close-up BluebellsTravel shots, close-up Bluebells

Wide angle shots:

Wide angle shotWide angle shotSame shot, none wide angleSame shot, none wide angleWide angle shotWide angle shotSame shot, none wide angleSame shot, none wide angleWide angle shotWide angle shot

by
Star Contributor

[ Edited ]

Unfortunately I am unable to upload the square shot, GIF as I get the following shown:

"You have already uploaded 50 images during this 24-hour window. You can try to upload more images later". The weird thing is though, I haven't uploaded 50 images during a 24 hour window Smiley Frustrated

I'll add the square, GIF shot (along with some other miscellaneous photos) tomorrow, either by adding them on to my above post or on a seperate post.

by
Star Contributor

[ Edited ]

Here's the others that I could not upload earlier Smiley Happy

Photo was taken on the Square settingPhoto was taken on the Square settingHere's my GIFHere's my GIFSelfie took with the front facing cameraSelfie took with the front facing cameraOther miscellaneous photos taken to show detail/image qualityOther miscellaneous photos taken to show detail/image qualityOther miscellaneous photos taken to show detail/image qualityOther miscellaneous photos taken to show detail/image qualityOther miscellaneous photos taken to show detail/image qualityOther miscellaneous photos taken to show detail/image qualityOther miscellaneous photos taken to show detail/image qualityOther miscellaneous photos taken to show detail/image quality

by
Star Contributor

[ Edited ]

Chris_B wrote:

Unfortunately because of the high quality of the images some of them exceed what can be uploaded.    

Yeah I ran into that issue too, which was a bit of a pain. With the photos I ran them through a Mac application called ImageOptim, which essentially takes some of the extra data away (some Metadata and GPS data if I remember correctly) and in doing so, makes the file size smaller, but does not affect the image quality of the photo.

But I struggled with the GIF especially (as ImageOptim doesn't work with GIF's) and had to redo it several times, to keep it really short and under the 5 MB limit (which took around six tries and some colourful language Smiley LOL )

Highlighted
by
Maestro

[ Edited ]

As Tiff mentioned above there are three cameras.

1. One rear normal 13mp lens camera;
  2. One rear Wide angle 13mp lens camera;
  3. One front facing 5mp normal or wide angle lens camera

Android cameras have come a long way and this one is no lightweight shooter. All the usual features you come to expect from an android camera from nine filters to eight different camera modes.

The camera application opens quickly and is easy to navigate. To swap between the single and wide angle lens you simply tap on the one or three tree icon at the top of the screen. The change is instantaneous so no waiting.

Sharing to social media is simple you can do this via the galley, any social media app or you can simply share straight from the camera

Note the icon aboive the lineNote the icon aboive the line

Clicking on the icon gives you the sharing menu below:

Sharing menuSharing menu

There is also a handy function called camera roll under settings which allows you to view the last five photos taken. Because of the screen size this doesn't impact the overall camera view.

Camera RollCamera Roll

Filters:

FiltersFilters

Mode:

ModeMode

There are also four different modes, Auto , Square, manual and manual video. The manual camera mode saves as both Raw and DNG format.

Picture quality:

On the test photos I have taken I'm more than pleased with the results. The focus can take a second to set but the quality is more than acceptable especially for using on social media.

20170418_203210.jpg20170408_064515_HDR~2.jpg20170414_212727.jpg20170418_225113.jpg20170412_124253~2.jpg

bHjtdTVwvBtjBA

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekdays and until 8pm on weekends. Calls outside that time (till 10pm weekdays and 8pm on weekends) cost 50p per call. These costs also apply to calls to 07953 966 250.
by
Star Contributor

IMG_3516.PNG

The Camera…. What can I say, this is one of my daily essentials, taking a Selfie! Ask anyone who knows me, or has access to my Facebook or Instagram account, I love a selfie or a photo opportunity. So this challenge is just perfect for me, thank you EE and LG.

Let’s get started with the basics. The LG G6 has two 13-megapixel rear cameras and a front-facing 5-megapixel. In-between the two 13-megapixel rear cameras is a beautiful flash, which really does make it look like you have the best skin in the world!

So, our challenge, as the EE LG G6 Review Crew is to take as many different photos as possible, to give you some notable examples of the diverse nature of the LG G6 with its fully loaded camera. What an easy job. As soon as you fire up the LG G6, and snap away, you’re instantly shocked at the quality photos which are being produced. My first words to my girlfriend were “Check this out, oh my god!” A phone camera is never normally up to the standard of a standalone camera or a Go-Pro for example, however I have found the LG G6 to really come close and in my view, beat the Go-Pro out of the park.

LG have given you several cool apps to help you take that perfect photo with ease. Once entering the cameras application, you are faced with several modes as options, which help you get the best picture possible.

modes.png

The cameras interface gives you the option of utilising the duel rear camera when taking a photo or video or focusing on a single camera, which gives you less of an initial zoom range. Utilising the single or dual camera does not affect your quality surprisingly.

In addition to the main Camera app, LG have thrown in a very cool additional app called Square Camera. This cool and new addition gives you some quick options on capturing the best photos in some funky formats, such as taking two photos and matching them up with the Match Shot feature; or having a Grid Shot setup live as you take the photos. I must admit, you normally must pay or download featured apps like this on other operating systems, so it is a credit to LG that we have this app built into the LG G6 from the start!

Here is a Match Shot test photo I took to show you how quick and easy to do. Once you capture the Match Shots, with one click you're able to turn it into a funky little gif.

20170420_183140.gif

Anoither cool feature LG have built into the G6 is the Slow Mo feature. This really makes it so easy for you to add something extra cool to your videos speed. So step from you having to learn Photoshop or a Video Editing program, all you got to do now is buy a G6 and off you go! Check out my walk to work this morning, excuse the bumpyness, that was entirly me being really cold this morning, ha!

Click Here for Video

Below you will find some of my test photos I have taken to show you the true capacity of the LG G6 Cameras. As you can see, the photos are of a high definition and really do give a professional image feel to them. As I have mentioned, photos are my thing and these have really impressed me, nay, they have blown my mind away at how easy it has been to take a superb snap. If I was to rate this out of 10, I honestly would give it an 11. I am amazed at how correct LG have got this right and for me, this is one of the biggest selling points on this phone, boy how Apple need to hurry up and catch LG here.

Click Here for Ben's LG G6 Review Photos

In closing, The LG G6 Camera is one of the best I have ever experienced on a mobile device. I'm that impressed, I am looking to order one for my family, as it really does remove the need to purchase a standalone camera for holiday and leisure snaps!

Bravo LG, Bravo.

by
Star Contributor

Just realised I forgot to add this photo on earlier. It was taken with the Square Camera app/setting.

Taken with the Square Camera app/settingTaken with the Square Camera app/setting

by
Brilliant Contributor

[ Edited ]

I found the camera relatively easy to use and I am very much impressed with the quality of the photos. The images were easy to share on the social media platforms I use in a few taps. Here are the results:

20170427_213655.jpg

20170420_194005_HDR.jpg

20170427_221518_HDR.jpg

20170427_204452.jpg

20170427_204227.jpg

20170427_224532.jpg

It took a little longer to learn how to create a GIF but once I had I enjoyed doing it and I was surprised at how well it turned out first time. The built in help guide accessible in the camera options was actually really helpful for this I could keep flicking back to it making it easy to follow step by step:

20170426_161031.gif

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.