by ross607 Contributor
Contributor

LG G5 Wi-Fi Calling

Hi,

After performing recent Andoid 7.0 upgrade I noticed the option for Wi-Fi calling appears to have been removed from my phone - LG G5.  Anyone else found this? has this feature been removed just from my particular handset or are others affected? If so, whats the thinking behind this? Wi-Fi calling worked perfectly well pre-upgrade and if I had known I wouldn't have bothered upgrading as it was an essential feature of my phone.

20 REPLIES 20
by
EE Employee

Re: LG G5 Wi-Fi Calling

Good Afternoon @ross607

Thanks for coming to the Community! Smiley Happy

It's definitely not been removed so it should still be working.

So I don't get you to repeat any steps could you let me know what troubleshooting steps you've followed so far?

Thanks - Karen. Smiley Happy

by ross607 Contributor
Contributor

Hi Karen,

Thanks. Steps tried so far. Locating the setting where it was stored previously... Settings > networks > calls > Wi-Fi calling. Option has disappeared.

Found another thread on here from a Samsung user who said his option had moved, tried to follow his path open contacts > call settings this just takes me to the same settings screen as above with no Wi-Fi option to select.

Done multiple restarts and shut downs of the handset since performing the upgrade so handset doesn't just need a reset.

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@ross607 wrote:

Hi,

After performing recent Andoid 7.0 upgrade I noticed the option for Wi-Fi calling appears to have been removed from my phone - LG G5.  Anyone else found this? has this feature been removed just from my particular handset or are others affected? If so, whats the thinking behind this? Wi-Fi calling worked perfectly well pre-upgrade and if I had known I wouldn't have bothered upgrading as it was an essential feature of my phone.

My G5 is about to be returned after a repair (Screen went kaput at random) and is on Android 7.0

What build number are you on as there have been 2 EE builds for Android 7.0 released? I'm pretty sure Wi-Fi calling was working. Have you tried going into the Call settings on the Phone app and making sure it is still enabled?

Once I get my G5 back I can see if the newer build maybe has an issue as I was on the older one until it was repaired.

Edit: Saw your follow up. I'll update once I have my phone back.

by ross607 Contributor
Contributor

Cheers for that Stopit... Build number says NRD90U - Android Version 7.0 .  Have an Android security patch leve date of 1 Nov 2016 also if thats relevant.

Thanks again.

by
EE Employee

Hi @ross607

Thanks for the information!

Have you tried turning flight mode on then back off?

Are you a personal EE customer?

If so i can send you a link to our Tech Chat Team, they'll be able to make sure everything is active on your account.

The next step would be to back up and factory reset the device.

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@ross607 wrote:

Cheers for that Stopit... Build number says NRD90U - Android Version 7.0 .  Have an Android security patch leve date of 1 Nov 2016 also if thats relevant.

Thanks again.

That was the initial build. There was another Android build released on the 25th of Jan. I'm guessing your software version is 20a-xxx-xx (I can't remember the code off hand). I also am sure I had Wi-Fi calling with that build.

Try connecting your phone to your PC/Laptop and downloading a program called LG Bridge. That is the official LG Update program and you should see a new build available. If THAT still wont work, then contact EE as some setting may be awry in the carrier settings.

Try this link (It's an official EE link, don't worry!) and it'll send the Internet settings to your phone. it may also get Wi-Fi calling working. It may not but there's no harm in trying.

Edit: This link! http://setup-ee.wdsglobal.com/internet?step=modelselection.vm&contractId=230&countryId=36&networkId=...

Edit Edit: I can't spell.

by
EE Employee

Hi @StopIt

Thanks surprise.png

Thank you for the your contribution!

As a thank you for your postive contribution to Community, I'd like to send you out for a meal on us.

I'll send you a Private Message to get some additional details.

Keep up the good work – it’s the people here who make this community a great place to be – and enjoy your meal out!

by ross607 Contributor
Contributor

Karen / Stopit

Thanks for the help. I am personal ee customer. Airplane mode has no effect.

I'll try Stopit suggestion later on tonight when I get home. Will return to this thread and update if it works. If it doesn't I'll get that tech support chat link from you Karen.

Thank you both again.

Ross

by
EE Employee

Hi @ross607

@Karen_C has finished for today, If you do need the link, please feel free to @ tag me.

Many thanks,

Lee

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Good morning all

I can confirm that while the reair centre only re-applied the 20a build when repairing my device (Fine by me!) the device does have the Wi-Fi calling option on the official EE build.

To ross607: It may be worth calling tech support if my previous suggestion doesn't work. The option is indeed there in Call Options as stated previously.

by ross607 Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for confirming that StopIt, I installed LG Bridge, ran the software update checker and it reported back that my phone already has the latest software installed so something has gone awry with my previous update.

Looks like backup and factory reset... sigh!

Thanks all for your help.

Ross

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@ross607 wrote:

Thanks for confirming that StopIt, I installed LG Bridge, ran the software update checker and it reported back that my phone already has the latest software installed so something has gone awry with my previous update.

Looks like backup and factory reset... sigh!

Thanks all for your help.

Ross

Thankfully, the LG backup Suite is excellent. It will take a while but you can basically get your phone to exactly how it was before the reset. I've used it before when trying to fiddle with non EE Open firmwares *Hides from the mods* and it really does take the hassle and worry out of getting your phone back to normal.

Hopefully a factory reset gets you Wi-Fi calling back. I honestly have no idea why it isn't there for you.

by
EE Employee

Good Morning @ross607

Did you manage to get a resolution for this?

I've got a quick question....could you confirm the current software version you are on please.

It will start V20a.

by ross607 Contributor
Contributor

Hi Karen, sorry for the big delay in replying to this.  Haven't bitten the bullet on factory reset yet, just haven't had a good time to do it.

My software version is v20a-234-30

by
EE Employee

That's no problem @ross607

Thanks for giving me the info!

If you do get the chance to do a reset - I know it's a pain! If you could pop back and let me know the outcome that would be great!

by
EE Employee

Hi @ross607

Was just popping back to see if you managed to do the factory reset?

Or if WiFi calling is back working?

Look forward to hearing from you!

by ross607 Contributor
Contributor

Hi Karen, thanks for keeping up with this... I have backed everything up and planned factory reset at some point this weekend... will report back once done!

Thanks again!

Ross

by
EE Employee

No problem @ross607

Brilliant thanks!

Have a lovely weekend!

Karen Smiley Very Happy

by ross607 Contributor
Contributor

Karen,

Sorry for the massive delay on this!  I have just installed the lastest os update that was pushed to my phone recently.... Wi-Fi calling has returned!!!  Must have been a software bug in my previous install.  Everything now working as it should.

Thanks for your time and attention on this.

Cheers,

Ross

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.