by JulieGn Investigator
Investigator

Just joined, and have an issue with getting my Sony Xperia 5 to connect to hdd

Just joined, and have an issue with getting my Sony Xperia 5 to connect to an external hard drive , I have two otg cables, both of which work if I connect the hdd to a tablet (along with a power supply) with the drive being detected straight away,  and full ability to access it, but with my Xperia,  or my husband's Samsung galaxy (both of which are on ee) neither will find or connect.

I have tried manually selecting the connect to USB option in settings,  but it just comes up with "device connected" and I still cannot navigate to the drive.

Is this function blocked with ee phones?

13 REPLIES 13
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: Just joined, and have an issue with getting my Sony Xperia 5 to connect to h

Hi @JulieGn

Welcome to the community. 🙂

Are you able to connect both phones to another device, such as a laptop/PC?

What kind of tablet does the HDD work with?

Chris​​​​​​​

by JulieGn Investigator
Investigator

Re: Just joined, and have an issue with getting my Sony Xperia 5 to connect to h

Yes both phones connect to pc, it's a Samsung galaxy note tablet which isn't tied to ee

by JulieGn Investigator
Investigator

Sorry should just add - the tablet works with three different external drives, all are seagate - but different types.

So yes another android device works with any combination of three drives and two otg cables

Both ee phones connect via standard cables to pc without issue 

by

Thanks @JulieGn

Which model hard drive is it? It could be due to compatibility.

Chris

by JulieGn Investigator
Investigator

One is srd00f1

One is 9zf2a9-500

I haven't got access to the others - just tried a few from colleagues - in total tried around half a dozen now

Various makes, models etc no joy

by

Thanks again @JulieGn.

Have either of these hard drives worked with an EE device in the past?

Jon

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @JulieGn

Are you using the default file explorer? 

Also OTG is already supported in USB type 3 connectors so you just need a USB adaptor. I suspect your OTG cable is telling the phone the drive is the host, yet the phone is saying no I'm the host so they are conflicting. 

I use these and they work a treat. 

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by JulieGn Investigator
Investigator

I have tried several file explorers including the standard,  also a number of file/drive mounting apps - none appear to work. 

The phone connection is micro USB, and the drive is mini USB, the power is standard USB but is power only - only connections 1 & 4 are used

So the adapter you suggest will not fit, also these cables I have work with non-ee devices, so I do doubt that it is anything other than an ee setting or configuration, but willing to look at anything sensible 

by JulieGn Investigator
Investigator

Sorry,  just noticed this post, I hadn't tried previously to use the drives on my phone, as it is I am going away and find the need to transfer files whilst away, hence the need, only tried husband's phone and tablet and then other tablets and drives because it wasn't working 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @JulieGn

Sorry I thought the Z5 was USB3 but it's not so yes it will need the OTG connector as it's micro USB. 

What format are the disks you are trying to connect? Is there no USB settings in your settings/quick settings? 

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

by JulieGn Investigator
Investigator

Tried several formats,  exfat/fat was the one of choice because of expecting to connect to android,  but someone else's phone was OK connecting via my cables to a ntfs drive.

Our tablet connected fine to exfat

Yes, there are settings for USB.

As per the op with the z5 you have to go to settings - USB connectivity - detect USB device every time you are looking to connect.

It always states USB connected at this point if the drive is connected,  but I cannot navigate to the drive,  it is never found by the file explorers (whichever I use)

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@JulieGn

Strange one this. It might be worth asking on the Sony forums

Thanks, 

by Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

Firstly, Sony changed their firmware around the time of the Z5. Frankly, USB handling is less than ideal and some modes are no longer available.

However, there's a possibility that both the Z5 and the Samsung Galaxy are seeing the HDD but the file manager apps don't have permission to access the folders on the drive 

(Briefly, there was an Android change to the permissions needed to access folders. The Note tablet has an older version of Android without those restrictions)

What should happen is that the file manager should display a prompt asking for permission. 

There's two things to do that will sort this, if it's a permission problem. First of all, without the hard drive attached, remove the micro SD card. Powercycle the handset. With handset off, put the SD card in. Power on, the phone will notify you there's an SD card. Open the file manager and try to navigate to the card. It should ask for permission. Now connect the HDD.(on the Sony you'll have to use Detect USB now). Try the file manager.

Second option, Goto the app manager in phone settings. Find the app manager (you might need to select "Show system files" or similar) tap on the file manager and then permissions to make sure it has permission.

This should

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.