by stuarttunstall Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Joining EE on a SIM Only plan

Hi all.. 

New to the forum and looking to join EE 🙂 

At the moment I am with Vodafone but my contract runs out on March 25th and EE do a much better SIM only deal than Vodafone do a long standing (15 years) customer.... I got told NO when I asked them to match the EE price, so there loss... So I am joining now on the unlimited mins/texts and 20GB data SIM only @ £25.00, and once I can cancel my contract move my number over...

Vodafone want £37.00! even with the 6 month half price I can save £30.00 this year and £140 next... 

I do have a couple of questions.... 

I own a Skoda Superb which uses the rSap profile for the bluetooth, this as you may know takes over the SIM card for better service/signal, using text messages etc so, everytime I disconnected with Vodafone it sent me a text saying the SIM had changed so Vodafone added my number to a block list to stop these messages... Can EE do the same? 

Has anyone had issues with EE and rSap connections dropping? 

I have a Note 4 purchase from Vodafone, will this use the WiFi calling?

Thanks 

Stuart

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by
EE Employee
Solution

Re: Joining EE on a SIM Only plan

Hi Stuart,

Glad you are enjoying our service even without the product 🙂

In regards to the MyEE I would personally wait till your number has ported over before adding it.

Many thanks,

Lee

28 REPLIES 28
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi,  

I cannot comment on the car question but trying out a PAYG sim might be an idea.  Also you can check out coverage. 

As for your phone you would need to ask Vodafone to unlock it and then I would suggest installing BTU firmware via Sam's mobile.  Unfortunately no wifi calling is available on that handset. 

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
Established Contributor

Thanks for the reply.. 

I have already unlocked the phone, Vodafone sent me the unlock code for free which is unusual as I am still in contract.... 🙂 

Will get the SIM ordered now .... 

Established Contributor

I have just ordered the 12 month unlimited minutes/texts and 20GB data SIM Only deal... Looking forward to joing EE 🙂 

Just need to wait for my SIM to arrive, then cancel my Vodafone contract to end on the 25th March, can then move my number across... Vodafones loss of a 15 year customer because they wanted too much for the same package... 

I did order a PAYG SIM to try which arrived today, so I tested in my old Galaxy S3 can get 3G in my village, as it is not a 4G hanset but the Note is, so better than Vodafone although it does drop to 2G now and again which I expected, maybe the Note 4 will be better and connects to the SIM access profile in my car.... 

Stuart

Established Contributor

Handsets that support rsap

Hi

I have just joined EE after a long relationship with Vodafone, 15 year to be exact... I have got a much better deal from EE on a SIM Only package to use with my excellent Galaxy Note 4 .. 

In the future I may look at a new handset direct from EE but need to know a specific technical detail... 

Which of the EE Android handsets support the "rSap bluetooth" protacol? "Remote SIM Access"

My car, a Skoda Superb has the "Premium bluetooth" fitted which allows Wifi, when the handset connects to the car the car takes over the SIM card to allow this and a better signal, i.e the car becomes the phone.. 

I know that Samsung did support this but I believe that later software had it removed.. 

Can anyone help with which handsets on Android have this?

Thanks

Stuart

by
EE Employee

Hi @stuarttunstall and welcome to the Community.

Let us know how you get on with SIM when it arrives.

Many thanks,

Lee

Established Contributor

Thanks for the welcome Lee_H .. 

Must admit I am impressed with the quality of customer service... I have used Chat, twitter, Facebook and here and the service is A1 ... Look forward to a long relationship with EE.. 

Just received an email from EE regarding my order, to confirm a few details... called and spoke to a very nice lady (forgot her name) turns out when they did the credit check I had entered my birthday completely wrong...Lol no idea how... I know I am getting older and trying to forget now but I thought I at least remembered the date... 

Anyway confirmed that and all sorted.. had the confirmation email and look forward to receiveing my SIM pack.. 

Just need to wait to cancel my Vodafone contract now.. finishes 25th March but I can cancel 30 days before and get my PAC code to port my number..

Quick quesion.. I ordered a free PAYG SIM to make sure my handset was unlocked, I could get a good EE signal and it worked in my car OK and all are great, even down to 4G in my village when Vodafone was just GSM... 

For the PAYG SIM I set up the MyEE details, when I get my new contract SIM do I just add that as another number, then change this when my Vodafone number moves over?

STuart

by
EE Employee
Solution

Hi Stuart,

Glad you are enjoying our service even without the product 🙂

In regards to the MyEE I would personally wait till your number has ported over before adding it.

Many thanks,

Lee

Established Contributor

I was just thinking that... So I can use the same MyEE account for both the PAYG, which will not be used much anyway, and the Contract SIM and see details for both?

Stuart

by
EE Employee

Hi Stuart,

That is correct.

Many thanks,

Lee

Established Contributor

Excellent, thank you 🙂 

by
EE Employee

Hi Stuart,

I have merged your threads together to keep them all in the right place.

In regards to the RSap profile, please let me do some digging.

Many thanks,

Lee

Established Contributor

Thank you ... never thought just to add it here, I own and run a vehicle enthusiast forum and we do the same to keep thing tidy ... Lol 

Appreciate your help with the rSap.. 🙂 I know Samsung did support it but I have read a few things now were people say the latest software had it removed... I was told LG support it and I like the look of the G5 (I think) 

Established Contributor

Ging back to my question regarding SIM Access profile, (rSap) I have been told that the LG G5SE supports this... 

My car, a Skoda Superb has the "Premium bluetooth" fitted which allows Wifi, when the handset connects to the car the car takes over the SIM card to allow this and a better signal, i.e the car becomes the phone.. 

I know that Samsung did support this but I believe that later software had it removed.. 

Can anyone confirm if the LG G5 does?

This is just for future reference 🙂  

Thanks

Stuart

by
EE Employee

Good Morning @stuarttunstall

I found this Android page that does say LG now support it, but it would probably be best to contact LG to check full compatibility.

Thanks - Karen. Smiley Happy

Established Contributor

Thank you 🙂

I have found the specification on the German LG website http://www.lg.com/de/handy/lg-G5 which does state in the technical specification under bluetooth "SIM access profile" but no mention on the UK LG site... so I have emailed them.. 

Would the EE version have this if it is in the specification, i.e the EE software would not remove this.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @stuarttunstall

I am not 100% sure about this, so I'm going to take this one away and see if I can get an answer for you.

Thanks

Richard

🙂

by
EE Employee

Hi @stuarttunstall

You could only really check this by looking at an EE branded device.

If you have an EE Store near you, they may have one in store that they could check.

The other option would be to check a non branded version which would be available through the likes of Carphone Warehouse.

Hope this helps!

Thanks. Smiley Happy

Established Contributor

Thank you ... never thought about going into a store to check Lol .. will do that at some stage 🙂 

by
EE Community Support Team

Evening @stuarttunstall.

Hope you get the information you need 🙂

Thanks for coming back have a lovely evening!

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.