by MrsWelie
Explorer

Is there any way to reverse a firmware update on my Galaxy S6 Edge

Just had a firmware upgrade and it's not only visually awful and almost impossible to read (even using powersave the screen is overly bright and the text is almost illegible), but my phone also lost over 60% battery over night doing nothing - I know it's an old handset and is prone to more battery drain, but not 60%...  I'm due to upgrade and was planning on moving to the Galaxy S8 or S8+, but if they both come with this firmware i'm seriously considering looking at other options.

Really cannot stand this upgrade it has made a market leader phone look cheap tacky and frankly blo0dy messy.

Hope you can help

6 REPLIES 6
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Is there any way to reverse a firmware update on my Galaxy S6 Edge

Hi, 

It sounds like something has gone wrong with your install. Try factory resetting your phone to ensure it's fully installed and any old files are wiped. You should factory reset with every major upgrade. 

You can downgrade but you will need to install firmware from Sam's mobile using Odin. 

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Yes the S8 phones will cone with this firmware look also.

As @Northerner has stated though try factory reset.

Using Odin is easy but unless you know what you are doing I wouldn't attempt it as you could brick your phone leaving it a expensive paper weight.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by
EE Employee

Hi @MrsWlie and welcome to the community.

Please do follow the advice given above and do let us know how you get on.

Many thanks,

Lee

by MrsWelie
Explorer

Thank you - it looks like nothing has gone wrong with the upgrade as a colleague is having exactly the same problem with battery drain and a quick internet google shows quite a lot of dislike for the new firmware update.  What was a beautiful system is now clunky and very ugly, especially if like me you receive lots of twitter, email and text notifications - it's really put me off upgrading to the 8+.  Also when did predictive text become such a prude, i know when I don't want to type "Ducking" and unfortunately this new version of predictive doesn't seem to be learning particularly quickly that I am in fact quite the potty mouth.

My main concern is the speed of battery drain and as I have an old phone it's difficult to know whether this will be as bad with the new S8?

by
EE Employee

@MrsWelie,

@BrendonH will be able to give us his thoughts on S8 battery as he uses one currently.

Many thanks,

Lee

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Regarding the reviews online you saw of the new update.

I bet 99% of then have not bothered following advise of factory reseting the device 

I had the S6 Edge before my S8+ but it wasn't that bad as after every major update I factory reset.

Please follow this advice.

Regarding the S8+ the battery is fantastic. I have had this phone off charge since 6am this morning (now 5pm almost) I have played constant Pokemon go walking from car to work constantly used it at work due to needing to contact boss all day. And it is still on 60%. You may say this is a lot of drain but I can't stress enough how much I have used it. On a normal day it'll still be in 80s.

I prefer this version of the firmware and I don't see how you see it as clunky as Samsung has really toned down on their touchwiz. It isn't so overloaded.

If you do go for the S8 I would recommend the plus version as yes it has a bigger battery but the screen is just amazing.

Pop over to the Android section and read my review on it.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.