by gavinstarr Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Invalid sim card. Network locked sim inserted

I was with EE until my contract ended. So I kept my device but bought a sim only contract with virgin. Asked for my puc code and transferred all info over to virgin to keep my number. Everything worked fine.

The signal where I needed it the most was rubbish with virgin. So I cancelled my sim only contract with them and took out a new contract with Three. 

I got my puc code from virgin and handed it over to Three. My virgin SIM is now inactive so by all accounts everything has been handed over to Three but when I insert the Three sim I get a unlock screen on start-up saying. Sim network pin blocked enter sim network puk. 

Is this meaning that my phone is still locked to EE or is it an issue with my new Sim?

6 REPLIES 6
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: Invalid sim card. Network locked sim inserted

Hi @gavinstarr

Virgin Mobile use the EE network so your Virgin SIM would work in an EE locked phone.

As you've now moved to Three, it sounds like you need to unlock the EE device.

Hope this helps.

Chris 🙂

by Vinay Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Yes, it sounds like your phone is still locked to the EE network andthis is why it's not going to work on 3. You should be able to get it unlocked for the payment of a small fee (£8.99), even if you are no longer with EE - I used this service one after buying a EE-locked phone off Ebay. If you are still with EE then unlocking is free in certain cases. Anyway the following link may help.

http://ee.co.uk/help/getting-started/joining-ee/unlocking-your-device

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Your phone is locked to EE & won't work with a 3 SIM until it is unlocked.

You can just apply using the Unlocking your device form as the Pay Monthly option and giving the mobile number that it used to have.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by gavinstarr Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I thought this may be the case. Why on earth they don't unlock your phone from their network once it's paid off is beyond me. It is no longer theirs so why hold on to the rights to it. 

Plus £8.99 to unlock a phone that has cost you £45 a month for the last 2 years is just an insult in my opinion. But I take it I'm another long standing from the rising of EE customer to have to bend over and accept that loyalty to customers has died a death. I mean what company would rather loose customers than offer them a similar deal to a competitor beggers belief. 

Any way rant over. Form filled in. So I guess I'm now phoneless for up to 10 days whilst EE email me a code/number for the price of £8.99.

So long EE it's been a blast.

Gav

by Grand Master
Grand Master

It should be free as you are out of contract.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @gavinstarr

As @XRaySpeX said, it should be free if you're out of contract.

Check out our How to unlock your EE pay monthly phone or device support article for more information.

Fingers crossed it's unlocked soon for you.

Chris

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.