by Engelsepiet Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I have a Galaxy S8+ which still has Android 7. Why has it not been updated?

My wife also has an S8+ and it was updated to Android 8 the best part of two months ago.

How can I get my phone updated?

40 REPLIES 40
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: I have a Galaxy S8+ which still has Android 7. Why has it not been updated?

Hi @Engelsepiet

• Where did you get your phone?
  • Have you tried manually updating via settings or PC software?
  • Can you enter *#1234# and post the three sets of numbers.

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Can you dial *#1234# for both phones?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Valued Contributor

• Where did you get your phone?
  • EE shop in Folkestone.
  • Have you tried manually updating via settings or PC software?
  • Settings says thay I am up to date
  • Can you enter *#1234# and post the three sets of numbers
  • AP: G955FXXU1AQJ5, CP: G955FXXU1AQJ5, CSC: G955FOXM1AQJ5
  • MODEL: SM-G955G/DS
Valued Contributor

Mine

AP: G955FXXU1AQJ5, CP: G955FXXU1AQJ5, CSC: G955FOXM1AQJ5

Wife

AP: G955FXXU1CRD7, CP: G955FXXU1CRD1, CSC: G955FOXM1CRD5

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @Engelsepiet

Are you sure the model number is SM-G955G

Have you tried to flash the firmware it root the phone in the past?

I don't think that phones from EE. The model number and firmware are all wrong.

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Your wife's has the latest nonbranded UK BTU firmware. I can't ID yours.

You sure your MODEL is SM-G955G/DS & not SM-G955F like your wife's? I can't find that model.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Valued Contributor

@Northerner wrote:

Hi @Engelsepiet

Are you sure the model number is SM-G955G

Have you tried to flash the firmware it root the phone in the past?

I don't think that phones from EE. The model number and firmware are all wrong.

Sorry, my bad. Model number is SM-G955F/DS.

I should have said that both phones are on sim only contracts.

Valued Contributor

@XRaySpeX wrote:

Your wife's has the latest nonbranded UK BTU firmware. I can't ID yours.

You sure your MODEL is SM-G955G/DS & not SM-G955F like your wife's? I can't find that model.

Sorry, typo. It is an F

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Could 'DS' mean Dual SIM?

Where did you buy it?

Are you sure those 3 versions nos. end in 'AQJ5' & not something else like 'AQI7' or AQG5'?

Valued Contributor

@XRaySpeX wrote:

Could 'DS' mean Dual SIM?

Where did you buy it?

Are you sure those 3 versions nos. end in 'AQJ5' & not something else like 'AQI7' or AQG5'?

Definitely  AQJ5. I bought both phones on the web from the Far East.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Ah, that explains it. I wasn't looking so far afield. Which country in Far E?

Valued Contributor

@XRaySpeX wrote:

I actually bought both phones from EGlobal Central UK, but there were despatched from the Far East. I'm pretty sure one came from Hongkong, but don't know about the other. they were ordered about two weeks apart.

Since my wife's phone was updated automatically, I'd have thought mine should have been as well. Is EE responsible for the updates, do you know?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Engelsepiet EE is not responsible for the updates as they are not EE devices.  EE only update devices purchased from them directly. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

There is no model of the S8+ DS for HK but there are for various Far E countries. In all your firmware is either 5th or 6th oldest & all countries have the latest firmware as Android Oreo 8.0.0 issued last about 01/05/18 but have had earlier versions since March, e.g. Indonesia - https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/galaxy-s8-plus/SM-G955FD/XID/ .

I don't know why your firmware hasn't been updated. Maybe cuz it's not located in the Far E. Of the 2 phones you bought online your wife's is probably the unbranded UK BTU version which is good as it will be auto updated but yours is from some unspecified Far E country & looks like it is not being updated.

It is a Dual SIM model, isn't it?

EE has no involvement in updating a phone that does not have their own firmware. They are only responsible for your SIM.

FYI: I bought an S8 from an Amazon UK marketplace UK seller & it turned out to be a unbranded Swiss model. Other than the instructions being in Italian & a continental 2-pin plug it was not a problem. It has regularly updated itself with the latest Oreo 8.0.0 firmware on time.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Engelsepiet wrote:

@XRaySpeX wrote:

I actually bought both phones from EGlobal Central UK, but there were despatched from the Far East. I'm pretty sure one came from Hongkong, but don't know about the other. they were ordered about two weeks apart.

Since my wife's phone was updated automatically, I'd have thought mine should have been as well. Is EE responsible for the updates, do you know?

@Engelsepiet

You said in your second post you got your phone from EE, so my further post was correct. That firmware you said is installed doesn't match this story you are now telling above as it wouldn't be on that handset unless you rooted or installed it..

Do you actually even own an S8+?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Northerner: I'm guessing the OP meant he bought SIM-Only contracts from EE Shop in Folkstone. The firmware versions do match those on Far E models. (I have done a extensive search Smiley Wink) He couldn't have made them up if he didn't have some S8.

by Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

The OXM firmware can't be on a far east model. If it is then it must have been flashed.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Techhead: It can. I just choose the wrong country by concentrating on the last 4 chars of the versions & overlooking the 4 chars in front of them. I should have used Thailand as an example - https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/galaxy-s8-plus/SM-G955FD/THL/ . 'OXM' is in there.

Sorry, @Engelsepiet, ignore Indonesia & look at Thailand as above. Everything else I said stands.

Am I the only 1 to believe that the OP is reading off verbatim the version nos. of his phone as unchanged from since he bought it new from an online retailer & that he hasn't flashed it?

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

His firmware is actually German.

So if both phones came from the far East he has flashed German firmware.

But no reason why it shouldn't be on Oreo yet I believe the S8 variants have all been updated already.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.