by Pivaroun
Visitor

Huawei P9 Lite Nougat update

Hi everybody!

I'm new to this community. I've done a quick search on these forums but I found no information about Nougat update for the Huawei P9 Lite.

I bought my P9 Lite in January in a EE store and my phone version is the VNS-L31C440B132, which I'm not sure it means that it's an EE branded phone - but it's quite possible, I suppose - .

Anyway, do you guys have any info about the release of the Nougat update for EE branded Huawei P9 Lite?

P.S. I've also tried to check through the HiCare app and Firmware Finder, but still nothing appears to be available for my version even though Nougat update, for P9 Lite, has been released months ago now.

Thanks a lot!

31 REPLIES 31
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Re: Huawei P9 Lite Nougat update

Hi,

Generally speaking, if you purchased the handset from an EE store, then your handset must be EE branded. 

The firmware will have to be tested before getting released by EE.

Unfortunately EE never publish any sort of release schedule for any software updates. 😞 

W

by mcrobbj
Explorer

EE are extremely poor, wont be buying from them again. This update has been out for months but they would rather you have a phone with known vunerabilities. How long does it take to test a phone on their network, certainly not six months. They have your money so are no longer interested.

by pshuttle Investigator
Investigator

Agreed.

It is now nearly the end of August. Several months after the release of Nougat on the P9 lite. Still no update. That is poor. 

I get that the majority of EE customers will not be concerned (or even aware) of these SW updates, but for me it is proving to be a dealbreaker when it comes time to renew my contract.

by siburrman Investigator
Investigator

Im in the same boat. Google have now announced Andriod 8 OREO and we still cant update to Andriod 7 Nougat!

I orignally thought it was Huawei who controlled the update but turns out out P9 Lite we have bought from EE has their own firmware which means its down to EE to release it. 

Whats going on EE?!?!?!?

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @siburman

The Huawei P9 range was released before Nougat was released.

The P10 and P8 lite 2017 were released after so are pre-installed with Nougat.

As with all updates you'll receive a notification on your device when it's available.

At EE we want to ensure that these updates are released to customers in a timely manner, and that the customer experience is at an acceptable level.

We have no reason to unnecessarily withhold or delay any software or security updates.

As far as I'm aware, Huawei haven't started rolling out Nougat to EE versions of the P9.

As soon as it's available you will be the first to know via a notification on your handset.

Thank you 

Richard

🙂

by pshuttle Investigator
Investigator

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your reply. I can't see any EE specific branding on the phone or within the software. Are you telling me that these are not 'stock' phones, but special EE editions? I can't see any evidence of that on the handset itself?

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

EE doesn't fill their firmware with bloat like other networks.

O2 Three and Vodafone all stick a splash screen on start up that has their logo. EE chooses not to do this.

So it may not have any EE logo or any sign of EE on it but it will be EE firmware.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by pshuttle Investigator
Investigator

It would be interesting to know what differences the EE firmware has over the generic release? 

I had a Moto G 2nd and 3rd gen a while back and they both had generic releases from google (they were owned by google for part of this time). Releases were immediate. 

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Google devices akways get updates first.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by Jake_w_edwards
Visitor

To build on this further I believe if you Google Huawei p9 lite you will infact come to an article explaining the update was delayed for an unknown reason, EE are not to blame for this delay.

by pshuttle Investigator
Investigator

Yes, the update was delayed. However the generic firmware has now been out for months.

by old-ferret Contributor
Contributor

On contacting Hauwei the state the EE have had the update and it is up to them when the release it.

Got our money now don't care about security issue with the out of date update which were release back in February.

by pshuttle Investigator
Investigator

Agreed. A delay of this length isn't really good enough. 

It would put me off buying another Huawei phone and from renewing a contract with EE.

I wonder if Huawei are aware that their customers are getting a third rate service from EE. Perhaps a few of us need to get together and make a fuss?

by pshuttle Investigator
Investigator

Oh yeah and its October now and still no release.

Thanks EE!

by mikehf Investigator
Investigator

My P9 lite updated last night,  took 2 hours oiver fast WiFi

Contributor

Mine updated 2 weeks ago about the same time for downloads 1 to enable the second.
by
EE Employee

How are you finding the update?

Many thanks,

Lee

Contributor

Very good,some good new features and the phone seems to be faster. Mind you I have a P9
by
EE Employee

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.