Highlighted
by Croftcroyne Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Huawei P20 pro GPS/Viewranger mapping software and separate headphone issue

I have two big issues that I have been unable to resolve from within settings/battery etc. I await a return call from Huawei tech support.

Firstly I use Viewranger as my GPS mapping app, hitherto brilliant but cuts out after 6 or 7 minutes whatever I do. When I wake the phone it restarts the app :-( I have the GPS within Viewranger switched on permanently, and their support I think cannot suggest anything else. 

Secondly I have my Bose headphones (brilliant) but they get disconnected about 60 secs after the screen goes to sleep. Again I whatever I change in settings I cant stop this disconnection.

I am probably missing something very obvious!

Any wise thoughts on these issues would be most gratefully received.

14 REPLIES
by
EE Employee

Re: Huawei P20 pro GPS/Viewranger mapping software and separate headphone issue

Hi and welcome to the community @Croftcroyne

Has this issue just started or has it been since the start?

Many thanks,

Lee

Valued Contributor

Hi and thankyou, The Viewranger issue has been present since the start and remains. (The headphone issue is resolved) 

Best wishes and thankyou

by
EE Employee

Hi @Croftcroyne.

Thank you for the reply.

Can I ask you to try and clear the cache and data of google play services to see if this helps?

Many thanks,

Lee

Valued Contributor

Hi Lee,

Thankyou. Not sure how to do this, ?just go to the caches and use storage cleaner? 

Best wishes,

Steve

Valued Contributor

Thanks Lee, OK done. I'll take the dog for a walk and see if it has helped!

Best wishes,

Steve 

by
EE Employee

Hi @Croftcroyne

Can you try Settings > Applications > Google Play Services > Storage > Clear Cache > Manage Data> Clear all app data.

Hopefully, this will help.

Cheers

Lee

Valued Contributor

Hi Lee,

Unfortunately not! I have tried 

Settings - battery - app launch - Viewranger - manage manually - run in background

Settings - apps & notifications - apps - settings (blue cog) - advanced/special access - ignore battery optimisation - allow Viewranger

Settings (search) virtual navigation bar (add) - touch small square bottom of main screen - scroll through recently used programmes - select Viewranger - touch padlock to lock (suggested by Huawei tech) 

I have been in email touch with Viewranger and checked that I have the correct settings

Hum any other thoughts?

Best wishes and thankyou,

Steve

Valued Contributor

Hi Lee

Viewranger have emailed to say 

'Google have confirmed that there is a bug with the P20 Pro and they are working with Huawei to resolve it. Caused by their over aggressive power management. We will let you know when there is any news, but for now it is in their hands'.

Guess I just have to wait, as I presume this wont change until the OS updates.

Not sure what Google have to do with it?? 

Kind regards,

Steve 

by stevo125 Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Which firmware version do you have? Most EE phones appear to have shipped with 103, but 110 is currently rolling out. Be interesting to see if they've improved these types of issues with the new release. 

Valued Contributor

Hi Steve125, Thankyou! Yes I wondered this and my phone is now updated. I have asked Viewranger to evidence their comments "We have been in touch with both Google and Huawei about the issue, Google have confirmed there is an issue affecting multiple devices, where the regular controls on earlier Huawei devices are not working." I don't think I'd have bought this phone as (at the moment) I can't sell my old one at 100-150gbp because I will still use it for mapping/gps. Many other outdoor pursuits people will be attracted to this phone because it's waterproof and has long battery life. But currently useless. 

Best wishes

Steve

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Croftcroyne,

Thanks for sharing these details.

Please let us know if you get any more updates from the Viewranger guys.

James

Valued Contributor

Hi James_B,

I asked Viewranger for more details, herewith the reply...

At present, this is what Google have said to us:

"I've confirmed with the broader team that this may be a device-specific issue with Huawei and they're currently looking for a resolution or work-around, as other developers across Google Play are experiencing the same issue and also noting the same device model as the cause.

Though we don't have an exact ETA on when a resolution will be found, please know that I'll reach out to you again once I have more information on the issue."

Frustrating, but I guess we just have to wait. I don't see Ee taking back these phones some four weeks after delivery!

Best wishes

Steve

by
EE Employee

Hi @Croftcroyne

Can I get you to try something for me?

Please download the BT Sports App and try loading that up, let me know how you get on.

Many thanks,

Lee

Valued Contributor

Hi Lee and Stevo125,

Last night I updated my P20 pro so I am now running CLT-L09 8.1.0.110(C782) Happily and to my great relief and pleasure Viewranger worked over a 3.7 mile walk this afternoon. I will try something longer tomorrow. Given this I'm not sure I wish to go ahead and install anything else. 

many thanks for all your help,

Best wishes,

Steve

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.