Make your house a smart home - with help from EE
Highlighted
by greycounciller Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Huawei P10 Oreo Update

I've had my P10 since Sept 2017 and am waiting the "Oreo" release for my P10. It was announced a worldwide rollout began about a month now.

Why the delay for EE Branded phones?

Also, in the time I've owned this phone, it's still running the Nov 2017 Android Security patch. Other Carriers have more recent updates.

Why is EE so far behind for updates and leaving devices vulnerable?

62 REPLIES
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: Huawei P10 Oreo Update

Hi @greycounciller

As soon as the update is available you will get a notification on your handset.

Thanks

Richard

Smiley Happy

Established Contributor

Hi Richard. That's not quite the point. I'm wondering why such a delay for both the update and, more importantly, the security patches?

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @greycounciller

We at EE want to ensure that these updates are released to customers in a timely manner, and that the customer experience is at an acceptable level.

We have no reason to unnecessarily withhold or delay any software or security updates.

Thanks for your patience.

Chris

by Bellyman Established Contributor
Established Contributor

@Richard_C and @Christopher_G come on you can do better than this.

Give this customer some information and respect as you have been for the new customer who purchased the P20 and their pre order issue.  There was a willingness to take ownership of their issue and find answers, why not here.

Its this disrespect in providing standard template answers that is EEs downfall.

Do you think  A. all customers are should get a response tailored to their issue once its been looked into or do you feel B. A copy and paste is all the deserve?

Established Contributor

Hi @greycounciller looking at the P20 thread @TiffJ has advised EE has been in contact with Huawei today to clarifiy an issue with the preordering of that device.

I'm sure your issue was also raised and an answer is incoming.

Established Contributor

Let's hope some real feedback comes through. 

Established Contributor

Did you get a direct message from the forum admins?

Established Contributor

Nope, nothing yet. 

Established Contributor

Oh.  I'm sure they'll get back to you with a proper answer.

There's no way they're going to contact Huawei and not ask your question.

Established Contributor

It seems EE has made a choice to ignore you and your feelings that the answer given was unacceptable and more information should be provided and sought after.

Hope i'm wrong..

Established Contributor

I don't seem them going any further to pull there fingers out on this one. I must remember never to get an EE branded handset in the future. 

Established Contributor

Shame isn't it

@Christopher_G @Richard_C @James_B and @TiffJ Is this really what EE wants to show and prove or is there a willingness to do more for all of your customers, everytime.

These are easy fixes to slow customer churn but worse still this is the public face of EE knowing and wantonly turning away.  Its not on... or is it and you are happy with this.

Show us you're not.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Bellyman  You know full well how these updates work and demanding answers knowing that you will get the same reply back everytime you demand answer is just going to cause more upset to others.   I will say this again to you.  Your contract with EE doesn’t include updates to the device in question the moment a update is released be that directly from the manufacturer or just because other networks have pushed out an update.  

You seem to think that jumping on every post when someone is asking about an update to a android device that your going to be the saviour of every android user on EE.   EE doesn’t owe you any explanation of why an update hasn’t been pushed out just because you want that update.  

Established Contributor

I'm sorry you feel that way @Chris_B 

Lets hope @greycounciller feels and sees this is a suitable response to their question. As well as my attempts at driving positive change to the service that EE is and can provides.

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@Chris_B wrote:

@Bellyman  You know full well how these updates work and demanding answers knowing that you will get the same reply back everytime you demand answer is just going to cause more upset to others.   I will say this again to you.  Your contract with EE doesn’t include updates to the device in question the moment a update is released be that directly from the manufacturer or just because other networks have pushed out an update.  

You seem to think that jumping on every post when someone is asking about an update to a android device that your going to be the saviour of every android user on EE.   EE doesn’t owe you any explanation of why an update hasn’t been pushed out just because you want that update.  

The fact that he keeps asking the question and getting the same feeble old fob off shows the contempt from EE and lack of willingness to even consider users suggestions regarding this matter.   He's not the only one asking.

This is the face of EE.  Are any of the community moderators even trying to take this matter up with anyone higher up the food chain? 

Maybe one of a stack of reason's EE have been voted second worst mobile provider in the Which? poll released today. 

Simple, you keep fobbing us off and we'll keep asking the question.  If it's annoying you then don't read it. 

Established Contributor

I know full well and that is one of the issues.

I would like to see positive change so no one else has to find out long after they've signed up to EE and are subject to delays that were never made clear. I would like information to be freely available so no other customer ever has to ask a question that has been asked before. I would like every customer to be answered by an EE employee with a full honest and concise answer given after research was done to the fullest allowing that customer to leave knowing they was listened to and dealt with fairly. I would like proactive support information supplied on all products EE whether it be hardware, network or software.

Why would you not want this to?
Why would you not want to drive for change and improvements?
Why would you accept this as the norm?
Why would you want to help continue this level of support?

I fear it may be due to long term forum commentators being biased due to reasons unknown or made clear to all.

Regardless of what I or anyone says or believes it is disgusting that EE wantonly ignores customers concerns and issues and feel standard template responses is all they deserve. Again if i am wrong to feel this way an EE employee can tell me and give me some information to show i am.

That's all we want.. honest information from the company we've chosen to have our service from. It seems when that's not forthcoming some feel they need to leave..

I don't i feel that way i feel like saying "Do better and prove me wrong for the good of every customers. Show me EE you are listening and want to be better" 

I don't want any P20 customers here in the next few weeks asking the questions P10 S6 S8 Sony EE Hawk or HTC customers did previous.

Why would you @Chris_B?  
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Bellyman  EE can not give a set timeframe for when a update will be push to a certain device on the simple fact that that the next software  literation that they receive might not be good enough and so it has to be sent back to manufacturer to be tweaked,  if EE set a timeframe then EE would like to commit to that timeframe and if they don’t then they upset customers on why they haven’t kept to the set timeframe.    

The stock reply as you put it on your device will tell you when you have an update is the correct answer as your device will tell you when you have an update and you’ll not get a pre-warning or a set date when you’ll receive it.  please read above about why you’ll not get a set date/timeframe. 

The issue is EE doesn’t want a update pushed out to their customers if that update causes issues to their customers and their devices.     Do you agree that a working none issue update is better than a update that could/might cause issues with a device?      But then again is that an issue or a good thing ?     Because I know I wouldn’t want to put an update on my device not knowing that it’s been thoroughly tested.      

So again the stock reply of your  device etc etc etc,  is correct,   Not liking the stock reply as you don’t like it doesn’t mean that it’s wrong it’s just you don’t like it.  

And there is no one being biased about this so I’ve got no idea why you seem to think that.    

EE do not have to explain themselves to you just because you want updates pushed out.  You are being/have been  told the information that can be given to you at that time.  

Im not here to defend EE and am certainly not here give stock reply’s to anyone otherwise I’ll just copy and paste links over this forum as that would make this so much easier for me.   I do appreciate that customers want the lasted and greatest software on their devices who doesn’t but it doesn’t mean you’ll get it when you want it.   

Even Apple do beta testing that goes on for months before a update is pushed out and then they have been known to remove certain features that are being throughout the beta testing process and that really is frustrating.  

Nothing is perfect and nothing happens the way we want it too it’s a fact of life, and demanding to know when a new OS will be push out and to be kept in the loop is I’m sorry to say not going to happen unfortunately for the end user.   

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@Chris_B wrote:

The issue is EE doesn’t want a update pushed out to their customers if that update causes issues to their customers and their devices.     Do you agree that a working none issue update is better than a update that could/might cause issues with a device?      But then again is that an issue or a good thing ?     Because I know I wouldn’t want to put an update on my device not knowing that it’s been thoroughly tested.      

The manufacturer releases a generic unbranded update which is tested and working on many handsets on the EE network.   Why do EE allow these handsets on their network if they would cause trouble?  Seriously because they dont cause any issues at all. 

Once upon a time carrier's used to incorporate their own branding to handsets.  This is no longer a thing and should not affect security releases which should be passed on immediately.  EE are failing to pass on updates rendering handsets potentially insecure.  WHY?  

No they dont owe us anything regarding updates.  The manufacturer however sees fit to improve the device and close loopholes and bugs.  WHY do EE hold this back?  Sometimes forever without a reason. 

We are waiting for the latest update to the S8 which along with security patches helps with a battery life problem that reared it's head in the first release of Oreo.   Will EE even release it? Who knows because they do not care enough to even let us in on what their plans are.   

There would be uproar if your computer was never patched or your anti virus/malware on your pc was never updated, I cant understand what is different with a telephone handset. 

Established Contributor

Thanks for the reply @Chris_B you will be notified when a reply is posted.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.