by Jinx1980 Investigator
Investigator

Huawei MediaPad M5 10.8 LTE update EMUI 9.0

I'm just wondering if anyone on EE network had the OTA update to EMUI 9.0 or knows any knowledge when we will receive it as yet my MediaPad M5 10.8 is still on EMUI 8

19 REPLIES 19
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: Huawei MediaPad M5 10.8 LTE update EMUI 9.0

Hi @Jinx1980,

You'll receive a notification on your device as soon as the manufacturer makes the update available.

Thanks

James

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @Jinx1980 

My tablet is unbranded, and I have 9. It only came out recently. Still on 1st March security patch. 

EE normally test their software before it's released. 

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Jinx1980 Investigator
Investigator

Still no update to 9 on the media pad m5 10.8 any news ?????

by

Hi @Jinx1980,

You'll be the first to know when Huawei make the update available to your device, via a notification.

Thanks

James​​​​​​​

by Jinx1980 Investigator
Investigator

well I finally contacted Huawei and there is indeed an update to 9.0 which they said should have pushed through to my device so then manually pushing it through so there must have been an update so I could you guys not tell me this in the first place? 

The new version requested is: 9.0.1.190(C432E5R1P3). 

by

Hi @Jinx1980,

As the software update is sent to your device by Huawei, they are best placed to let you know when it will reach you.

I'm glad they were able to help.

Thanks

James

by pmdonovan Investigator
Investigator

@James_B- Same issue here but not as lucky as @Jinx1980. I contacted Huawei customer service asking for when the EMUI 9 upgrade would be sent to my Mediapad M5 and got the following back:

'Regarding your query, kindly be informed that the updates are released depending on the IMEI numbers, but also if the devices are open market or branded and also depends of the region. The updates, are not released at the same time for all the devices.

We cannot push the update to your particular device and we do not have any exact information regarding the exact date'

This clearly indicates that the delay in rolling out the update is with EE, so back to the original question.  When will EE be releasing the update?  I'm really disappointed that a current product (not affected by the US sanctions) remains at a 10 month old security patch level - can you advise an escalation point within EE if you can't assist. please.

by

Hi @pmdonovan,

Welcome to the EE Community.

EE do not develop or push out any software updates to your device. This is done by the manufacturer.

The Huawei rep you contacted is correct in saying that they often have different software versions for different regions, and in some cases for individual network providers.

If a manufacturer chooses to make a different version for EE users, EE would only help with any necessary testing. The update would still be pushed to your device by Huawei.

I hope this helps clarify the process.

Thanks

James

Investigator

Thanks @James_B 

I suppose the question is has EE undertken the necessary testing?  How would I find this out?  Also perplexed that @Jinx1980 managed to get the update but I can't.  Really wish that I hadn't bothered with this device as, although it looks good, not being properly supported is a real issue to me.  One for eBay I think.

by Jinx1980 Investigator
Investigator

Hi this is strange i emailed Huawei they asked for the serial number , the
current software version and weather it was rooted or not ...

and the reply i got was they updated version as stated above and then told
take upto 14 business days to come through , so can't understand same
device on same network and there telling you they cant ?
by Jinx1980 Investigator
Investigator

really sorry that you're having a trouble trying to get the update after providing the serial number and the current software version to them and stating that my handset isn't rooted they replied telling me that the update is the one that I previously stated in this string and then replied and told me that the update would be pushed through by their technical team within 14 working days so it seems really strange that I can get it updated being on EE with an EE device but you can't I would get back to Huawei and tell them that another customer on the same network has been told that the updates going to be pushed through within the next 14 days

by Jinx1980 Investigator
Investigator

let me know as I would be interested to find out whether I've been misinformed and that's never going to happen because that could be the case

Investigator

Thanks @Jinx1980  - really appreciate your replies after I hijacked your post!  I've gone back to Huawei already, quoting the version that you will hopefully be getting.  I'll update once I hear back from them. 

Disappointed as I see that this tablet is still being sold by EE - I wonder if unwitting purchasers know that the security patching is almost a year out of date and looks as though support for their new toy is flakey to say the least!

Investigator

Quick update on this.  After email ping pong with Huawei, I've now received a similar email to @Jinx1980 - will wait and see what happens!

by Jinx1980 Investigator
Investigator

well i got this update no news wanted 

Thank you for contacting Huawei UK.

Regarding your case, we've already escalated in order to be properly reviewed if it's something available and your device could be updated but our senior technical department, reviewing your case, they found out that for your device and serial number, this one is the last one currently available right  now.
If it will come something soon, rest assure it will be announced and you will be notified via Hicare app, but currently there is  no available update possible.
Thank you for your understanding.

by Trav26
Visitor

I received the same explanation over the phone from Huawei support. The guy I spoke to seemed confused that EE hadn't requested an EMUI 9.1/Android 9 update from them. He said EE had made similar requests with the P series handsets and T series tablets? Huawei told me an EMUI 9.1/Android 9 release is available for the M5 10.8 in UK and has been since April/May, but because the software on the EE M5 is bespoke to EE that this is an EE issue?? If EE want their customers to have the latest release, they know how to make that happen, are they choosing not to?  Really disappointed I took a new £28 per month, 24 month contract on an Android 8 tablet without doing my research!

by Jinx1980 Investigator
Investigator

Yeah me too in regards the research , its frustrating as the update
improves performance of the device , i don't think i will be staying with
EE for my tablet once this contract ends bit disappointing , and we know EE
response will be same as before but love to know what EE say about the
software being bespoke and the update has been in the uk since April !!!

I'm tempted to take to one of those shops and see if they can put non EE
version EMUI on ?
by Jinx1980 Investigator
Investigator

So i spoke to EE as getting same response from Huawei as you @Trav26 EE said they its its  down to Huawei but they said all other networks have had the software update available since April ? 

Spoke to brilliant lad at EE customer service who said he would get his line manager to raise this further as they can't understand why EE only uk network not updating there customers tables and the more people that call up and log this to be raised hopefully the quicker the devices will het the update

so no update yet be we can live and hope 

Investigator

Thanks for the updates @Jinx1980 & @Trav26 .  I'll be ringing the service desk tomorrow to register my dissatisfaction with the position - pondering a trip to Citizens Advice to see if there is any way of ending the contract if the updates aren't made available.  I actually did some research before taking the plunge and it was clear from Huawei that there was an upgrade path to Emui 9 - if the patching level is to stay at November 2018 for the next 15 months, then in my mind that is unacceptable.

Noticed that @James_B has been very quiet of late on this subject.  Given that the service desk seems to be taking an interest and escalating, is there anything that you can do to support users, please?

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.