by juliajmac

How to get rid of intrusive and inappropriate adverts on my phone?

I'm mostly happy with EE and reluctantly accept that advertising is a necessary evil, but many of the adverts I get are inappropriate, intrusive and sometimes offensive, bearing no relation to anything I've browsed.  I tried downloading an ad blocker, but it got rid of very few, if any adverts and just slowed my phone down, so I deleted it. Any ideas?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor
Solution

Re: How to get rid of intrusive and inappropriate adverts on my phone?

Hello @juliajmac using an ad blocker is about the only thing you can do. These ads are from third party sources that EE have nothing to do with.

You can turn content lock off which will restrict any 18+ page from showing (you will see the generic content lock page instead) but this will also restrict any 18+ content you do want to view:

http://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/safety-and-security/content-lock/switching-content-lock-on-or-off

4 REPLIES 4
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor
Solution

Hello @juliajmac using an ad blocker is about the only thing you can do. These ads are from third party sources that EE have nothing to do with.

You can turn content lock off which will restrict any 18+ page from showing (you will see the generic content lock page instead) but this will also restrict any 18+ content you do want to view:

http://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/safety-and-security/content-lock/switching-content-lock-on-or-off

by uvarvu Established Contributor
Established Contributor

You should buy a raspberry pi and install pihole on it.  This will only help when you are at home though unless you can VPN back to your router.

If I'm out using my phone somewhere and get overwhelmed by adverts then I will fire up the VPN for some ad free goodness.

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

What phone do you have?

If you have a Samsung phone you can use their browser which has native support for Ad Blocking extentions, and they actually work.

If you're not, you can download the Samsung Internet Beta (No idea why they allow everyone to use this but not their stable version), from the Play store which does the same thing.

by Jax2212
Visitor

Hi, what is the app called in play store for Samsung phone..the native one

TIA

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.