by DanDuff Investigator
Investigator

How do I stop YouTube pop ups on my mobile phone?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor
Solution

Re: How do I stop YouTube pop ups on my mobile phone?

The OP mentioned that they appear under recent apps. 

So bring up the recent apps and you'll see each has a title bar with either and X or a split screen symbol on the right. On the left is a small version of the app's icon. Press and hold on this.

What happens next depends on the make if if device. For most Android phones you'll be taken to the app info oage. On a Galaxy, you'll see an i appear on the right. Tap that to go to app info.

Some rogue apps will cause pop-ups to appear, and appear in the recent apps/task switcher with the name of another genuine app (this might be why the OP thinks it's YouTube) but going to app info will show you the actual app.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
by Andrewworr Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Hi there @DanDuff and welcome to the EE Community.

I would certainly like to help you out here. Please can I start by asking what pop ups are you receiving? Is this a notification (such as video recommendations), video playing whilst using other apps (picture-in-picture) or something else? If you can eloborate further to how exactly these YouTube pop ups are showing, I will definitely help you out.

I look forward to your reply, have a wonderful day.

Andrew

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @DanDuff

You haven't said which phone you have, but go into settings and look for notifications and disable them for Youtube.

Thanks,

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by DanDuff Investigator
Investigator

Andrew,Thank you for your offer to help and the prompt response. I have a Samsung Galaxy 7 mobile phone. I believe these pop ups started after a recent Android up date. I thought initially that I could get rid of them by deleting the YouTube app but that didn't seem to make any difference. In case I hadn't deleted YouTube properly I used the phone's search engine and surprisingly it couldn't find the app. I know the pop ups are coming from YouTube because when I try to get rid of them by pressing the button to close all apps, it always lists YouTube in addition to whatever app I am using which is usually during messaging or using Whatsapp.The pop ups are inviting me to install apps like adblocker or shopping appsDanDuff
by DanDuff Investigator
Investigator

Thank you Northener

I have a Samsung Galaxy 7 mobile phone. But as I said in a previous message I have deleted the YouTube app from my phone so it is not listed in Notifications! 

Established Contributor

Thank you @DanDuff for clarifying this information.

I think I know what is going on here - believe it or not, on quite a lot of Android phones, Google apps are built-in so cannot be uninstalled. YouTube is a service that Google owns, so the app is developed by Google.

Your Samsung Galaxy 7 is an Android phone, so YouTube might just be built-in.

Please can you try going to the Google Play Store and reinstalling YouTube?

If you can do this, please go to your settings > notifications > YouTube and turn notifications off once you have reinstalled it.

I also advise you not to open any links in these in pop ups asking you to install apps, just to be safe in case they are scam pop ups.

Rest assured you will eventually be able to stop the pop ups.

Please let me know if this has helped, or not then I will try to help further.

Take care

Andrew

by DanDuff Investigator
Investigator

Andrew I am sorry to say that I have followed your advice but it has made no difference. I am finding these pop up advertisements to install apps quite intrusive.

DanDuff 

Established Contributor

Thank you @DanDuff for confirming this.

Unfortunately, I can only really suggest the last resort options at this stage which is to contact Samsung who should definitely be able to help you. You can contact them here https://www.samsung.com/uk/info/contactus/

Alternatively, you can perform a factory reset - but be warned, this will delete everything from the device. Apps, files, wallpapers, and everything else - gone! - you can find factory reset in settings. This will make the device just like it was out of the box when you first bought it.

If you bought the phone from EE they might be able to offer some help. You can view your contact options at https://ee.co.uk/help/contact-us or tweet/message @EE on Twitter.

I hope you get this sorted as soon as possible. I know how frustrating it can be when things go wrong, so hopefully contacting as mentioned above will get you a fast and satisfactory solution.

If you have warranty, it might be worth checking with whoever the warranty is with, whether the issue you're having is covered by it. The manufacturer warranty, if it is still active (hasn't expired), might cover this as well.

Hope you get this sorted soon, please do let me know here how you get on with this.

Enjoy your evening

Andrew

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Andrewworr wrote:

I think I know what is going on here - believe it or not, on quite a lot of Android phones, Google apps are built-in so cannot be uninstalled. YouTube is a service that Google owns, so the app is developed by Google.

If this is the case that these pop-ups are triggered by YouTube, why do you think they suddenly started with a recent update of Android Oreo 8, yet YouTube had been present and completely silent before then. What woke it up?

Also why are these pop-ups being ascribed to YouTube specifically? Why not Android itself?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Highlighted
by Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

@XRaySpeX wrote:

@Andrewworr wrote:

If this is the case that these pop-ups are triggered by YouTube, why do you think they suddenly started with a recent update of Android Oreo 8, yet YouTube had been present and completely silent before then. What woke it up?

Also why are these pop-ups being ascribed to YouTube specifically? Why not Android itself?

I agree, we haven't established what these pop-ups are , what is generating them and why the OP thinks they are coming from YouTube 

OP, where are these  pop ups appearing (are they notifications? Or do they appear like adverts in an app?)

What is it about them that makes you believe they are coming from YouTube?

If they appear in your recent apps list, press and hold on the top of one of them and select app info. This will tell you where the app is coming from)

If you can post a screenshot of one of these pop ups it would help.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

I have got these pop-ups on a Samsung Galaxy S8 since an Oreo update 2 back. There was another update 2 days ago but it did not fix it.

The pop-ups are either invitations to install apps from the Google Play Store or shopping sites. They are full screen. They are not particularly intrusive & don't happen often but seem to pop up just after phone is switched on. At 1st I thought they appeared only when I was in the Samsung browser but now I think they occur even on the Home screen.

@Techhead: How exactly can you trigger this "app info" when you have a pop-up in front of you?

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor
Solution

The OP mentioned that they appear under recent apps. 

So bring up the recent apps and you'll see each has a title bar with either and X or a split screen symbol on the right. On the left is a small version of the app's icon. Press and hold on this.

What happens next depends on the make if if device. For most Android phones you'll be taken to the app info oage. On a Galaxy, you'll see an i appear on the right. Tap that to go to app info.

Some rogue apps will cause pop-ups to appear, and appear in the recent apps/task switcher with the name of another genuine app (this might be why the OP thinks it's YouTube) but going to app info will show you the actual app.

View solution in original post

by DanDuff Investigator
Investigator

Eureka! The problem is solved! Thanks Techhead.

I followed your advice precisely and found that while the recent apps displayed always came up as YouTube when I had a pop up, these adverts were in fact coming from a compass app I had recently installed. I had wanted to use my phone as a compass a couple of weeks ago. It just goes to show yet again that there are some crafty people on the internet!

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Yes, following @Techhead's brilliant advice, I too found that these pop-ups were coming from a Compass app that I've had on my phone for ages well before the recent Android updates. Must have updated itself to this nasty version.

I have removed it & will see if pop-ups go away.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions