by Gfys Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Hotspot and connect to nearby devices

Hi, why is the hotspot on automatically and connect to nearby devices and NFC on android please when you are connected to your wifi that is supposed to be secure ? I know you can turn these features off but why turn them off after you have connected your device and synced your passwords , if you were a security conscious person like myself , wouldn't it be too late to try and secure your network ?

Thank you for any advice.

25 REPLIES 25
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Hotspot and connect to nearby devices

@Gfys   Try asking google it’s their OS. 

Established Contributor

I have done but they give no reply , I just wonder why they need our passwords,  say for example ... I am connected to a hotspot an evil twin hotspot and some of my security root certificates are out of date , not only is my device at risk because of this evil twin network but I have my find my phone switched on in the settings my passwords are exposed to syncing,  my hotspot is turned on connect to other devices is turned on , my devices is at risk of being locked by someone else my accounts are at risk and my contacts and say I have ebay and all the people I have purchased from are at risk of losing their data too, even the connected devices are at risk and so on...... maybe google did not want to explain to me at the end of the day we are only a number to them and we are here to purchase the devices . Used .

Thank you for your help and advice ....

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @Gfys 

Your posts are a jumbled question about many different points and are frankly hard to follow. You seem to have many security related issues which worry you after reading about them on the internet, relevent to you or not. 

Your mobile hotspot will only allow connections to devices you have authorised to use the hotspot. You can normally remove these under hotspot settings. You can also change your hotspot password. On Samsung devices you can even allow automatic hotspot access to other Samsung devices signed into your account. (This can be deactivated). 

If you are connecting to a public hotspot/wifi without using a VPN, then more fool you. 

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
Established Contributor

Maybe it is more fool me, but I do not connect to hotspots for some reason our mobiles and wifi does and so do some of my neighbours,  been having this problem for years !!! One gentleman that lives by me and his wife works with computers !! Had exactly the same problem and his wife reckons it's the schools network ! We told the school but their reply was dont worry , you can not access any of our files on our wifi !! When we told them we do not want to connect to their wifi , we want to connect to ours they ignored us !!! Right up until this day nothing gets done .... why I have so many issues that I write about is because nothing ever gets done about it and the ISP providers MUST Know !!!! Its wasting my money and time on forums like this and getting nowhere !!! Just take our money for nothing , half the time we can't send or receive emails !!! And our devices become damaged and its impossible to install an antivirus!! They become disabled .

Thanks for your reply .

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @Gfys 

Your device will only connect to hotspots/networks you have previously connected to free/or password protected. This feature is for your convenience. You can normally remove these access points under your WiFi settings, or just turn off WiFi, which on Android is easy under the quick settings. 

Like changing the SSID on your router, you can also change your device name to make it more identifiable. 

You should always use a VPN on free WiFi services, or avoid them. 

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

Established Contributor

Hi, thank you for you're reply , after 14 to 15 years of the same problems and having expert help with a friend who used to work for GCHQ and the police force I wish it was that easy and I wish that my friend was able to help out now but unfortunately he died unexpectedly,  and I do not have a clue why this happens , only that the school network is overpowering ours and the neighbourhood , the school is aware and their firewall is more stronger than ours .

We don't connect it is a stronger signal than ours and when you're on a laptop the yellow triangle appears and the hotspot is then always there . Someone said something about btfon virus but I dint know about that either.

Believe me I have tried everything even my daughters mobiles have been rooted without them doing it and my one daughter had YouTube and got threatened by a bomber and said he was going to blow up the queen both my daughters have a lot of private images of my grandchildren and of themselves on their mobiles . Personally I think this is disgusting.

Thanks once again for your reply.

Established Contributor

https://www.theisplisting.com/Suffolk-23432-wireless-providers.htmlScreenshot_20191117-023737_Phone.jpg

This network is also showing up in mobile networks,  I have never heard of 23432 mobile network,  have you? Thanks for your help.

P.s I've just found this write up about it.

by Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

That's nothing to do with WiFi, that's a list of mobile networks that's available in your area.

The mobile country code and the mobile network code. 23432 is an EE mast that used to be T-Mobile.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @Gfys 

Network 232 is UK and 32 is T-Mobile so you must have a local T-Mobile network active or your device registers it as T-Mobile. Virgin may have also used that network code but have since changed. This list isn't local hotspots it's your local carrier networks.

Hotspot/WiFi is different. 

Thanks

Established Contributor

I have never heard if that or seen it in our mobile network before , my husband has this also , if we have an ee mobile contract why is this there and usually on an iPhone it has forbidden access on these networks,  once there was two ee 3g networks exactly the same in the mobile networks anyway thank you for your reply and information .

Established Contributor

Hi, yes I know it is nothing to do with wifi, it is showing up in my mobile networks , my other mobile is pay and go and on three , it always connects to ID network and not three , I went into three shop and they could not understand why my mobile connects to three only that three or ID piggyback , so I asked ID mobile and they said they do not piggyback off of three and my mobile should not connect to ID and to change the apn settings so I did and yet my mobile still connected to ID , this is a nightmare of a situation and I get all sort of misleading information,  one says something and the other says something else .

Thank you for your reply .

by
EE Community Support Team

Have you spoken to our Tech Gurus about this, @Gfys ?

Chris

by
EE Community Support Team

Have you spoken to our Tech Gurus about this, @Gfys?

Chris

Established Contributor

Hi, yes I have tried but an error appeared and I could not connect , I can not download any apps either because that comes up with an error too.

Thank you

Established Contributor

Your messages are appearing twice , like you have been spammed.

Established Contributor

Hi again,  just out of curiosity on your personal mobile , do you have a firewall installed?

Established Contributor

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @Gfys 

No, but you don't need on on Android. My device and memory card is encrypted and I'm a Samsung fanboy so I can use Knox if I need to keep some information even more private. 

I use Lookout and Airvpn whenever I connect to an unfamiliar network. 

Thanks

Established Contributor

https://www.mast-victims.org/index.php?content=news&action=view&type=newsitem&id=91 That's good then , so how do you stop your apps from making risky connections? And I might have found the reason for some of the issues on our mobile networks around here , many years ago some residents where I live took out a petition to stop a mast going up, it was in the papers , so I have searched it online and there seems to be a lot of areas in the same situation.

Thanks for your reply . 

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions