by davidsuffolk Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Have wifi calling requirements changed?

I had a Samsung Galaxy 5 on EE but bought from the defunct Phones4U which, not having EE firmware, did not work with wifi calling.

Last week I replaced the phone with a OnePlus 6 which is also not on EE firmware but on setting it up I got a message that wifi calling was " now set up on your phone" and ready to be used. 

OnePlus 8.1 android is virtually vanilla should that make any difference

Just wondered if requirements had changed or whether the experts here might have an explanation or it was just a standard text that didn't actually check whether or not the phone complied.

I cannot easily say whether it works or not as I get a good signal here and would normally be on standard 4G (and not living in London don't use the underground)

9 REPLIES 9
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Re: Have wifi calling requirements changed?

It's handset specific.

Some handsets you have to buy direct others it doesn't matter.

One plus 6 is a handset EE can't alter the firmware on as it is stock android. So this wouldn't be something EE would block from.using the service.

The S5 on other hands is one that you have to buy direct.

S8 you don't any more but at the moment the S9 you do.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by davidsuffolk Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Yes, understand that it "shouldn't" take wifi calling so that was why I wondered why I got the text (from EE) saying it was "now set up on your phone. You can now use it to make calls" etc.

Just an auto text message maybe?

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Wifi Calling and VoLTE both work on the OnePlus 6.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

It's probably cuz the OnePlus 6 has Oreo 8 firmware but the S5 had something earlier.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

It has nothing to do with the firmware.

The S9 came with Oreo.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@BrendonH: I not saying all phones with Oreo have it, but just some & perhaps this 1.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

The OnePlus 6 doesn't work with VoLTE and VoWiFi on any of the other UK networks, just EE.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks, @chistery, that's useful to know. Are you sure it is both VoLTE and VoWiFi that don't work outside EE?

I have an unbranded S8 running on O2 that has VoLTE but not VoWiFi.

@Northerner has an unbranded S8+ running on EE that has both VoLTE and VoWiFi.

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@XRaySpeX I don't think I recall anyone else saying they've had either working on other networks, just EE and BTMobile. I know Vodafone is a no. It may be possible by rooting and tweaking the build.prop files, but not out of the box.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.