by murdoch Contributor
Contributor

Harrier Mini: Play store

For some reason opening Play Store now brings up pages and pages of rubbish under the headings Home, Games, Movies & TV, these being icons of various apps I'm being encouraged to buy. How do I get back to a simple, screen showing merely the apps on the phone itself, which was how it used to be? TIA.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: Harrier Mini: Play store

PlayStore has always shown you apps on offer. The whole point of it is to get new apps, not just to see what you have already.

If you want just that look at the Apps app or under Settings / Application Manager.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
14 REPLIES 14
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

PlayStore has always shown you apps on offer. The whole point of it is to get new apps, not just to see what you have already.

If you want just that look at the Apps app or under Settings / Application Manager.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @murdoch,

Welcome to the EE Community.

As @XRaySpeX said, the Play Store has always shown a list of available apps.

To view your installed apps via the Play Store, tap the menu button at the top left of your screen and select My apps and games.

Hope this helps.

James

by murdoch Contributor
Contributor

Thanks @XRaySpeX. Yes, I understand that it's to let me know of what's available but I always prefer to search and make my own decisions rather than have stuff of little interest shoved in my face. Perhaps it has always shown those by default but when I first got the phone, a week or so ago, pressing the PlayStore icon showed me the short list of existing apps, not all this new stuff, and it's that state that I want to return to.

Your further comment about Setting / Application Manager (actually just Apps here) was helpful in that it showed me how to get to the short list I want so thanks also for that point. Now I just want to make that the default.

by murdoch Contributor
Contributor

Thanks also @James_B. As I mention in my reply above I can now reliably get to the list of installed apps but what I want to do is make that the default.

You mention a menu button but I've no idea what that is, I'm afraid. There are three icons at the top left of the screen (apparently repeated on every new screen) - a quartered shield, an envelope, and a triangle containing a tick mark. Tapping any one of these appears to bring the same result, namely to briefly replace whatever's on the screen at that point with a message that flashes so briefly it's impossible to read fully but appears to be something about adding a phone number to somewhere or other, which is of no interest to me anyway, and which then returns the earlier stuff on the screen.

by
EE Employee

Hi @murdoch

To get to the menu which @James_B has mentioned, please follow the below steps:

Step 1:

Select the three lines.

by
EE Employee

by
EE Employee

by
EE Employee

Hope the above steps help.

Many thanks,

Lee

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@murdoch wrote:

Your further comment about Setting / Application Manager (actually just Apps here) was helpful in that it showed me how to get to the short list I want so thanks also for that point. Now I just want to make that the default.

Default for what? If I understand you correctly, you can't. Apps is showing you what's actually stored on your phone. That's entirely separate from the Play Store which is just a view of the actual Play Store site & therefore can't be defaulted to what you see under Apps. However Play Store does remember what you have installed & when you look there at an app you already have it will say "Installed" (or even "Update") instead of "Download".

by murdoch Contributor
Contributor

Thanks @Lee_H - that's helped further.

Thanks, everyone, for their help in various ways which have brought me to a better understanding of how the various things work and the relationships between them.

by murdoch Contributor
Contributor

Thanks again @XRaySpeX

Well, perhaps I can't! My default position is that I want to control what's visible and what's not, what appears automatically and what doesn't. I have no interest whatever in seeing pages of potential apps and other utilities which might be relevant at some point in the future but aren't now and I don't want the nuisance of having to navigate through them to get somewhere else and I don't want to give them memory or storage space. In my view I should be able to control exactly how my device looks and operates, subject always to certain basic system requirements, exactly as I can do on a desktop or laptop. If I want to get some extension for Firefox on a desktop, say, then I just check the directory online and if I want to find a particular program or app it's trivially easy to search for it by name or type or facility or whatever.

However, I'm completely unfamiliar with smartphones, never having bothered with one before, so I accept that I have something of a learning curve to follow and may well encounter, as you say, things that are not possible to do, this despite having used and programmed PCs from 1979 on, pre IBM. But I appreciate the help given by you and others who have answered and no doubt what appears impossibly opaque right now will continue to become clearer.

Thanks again.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks! You're welcome :)! Glad I could be of assistance.

What you see when you press most apps is not any view of your device but what the app chooses to show you from the Net nor stored on your device taking up storage. It is just the same as browsing a website from your PC's browser. The PlayStore app is no diff and is the mobile equivalent of https://play.google.com/ on your PC.

by murdoch Contributor
Contributor

Interesting. I hadn't realised that - and it explains why the pages I complained of suddenly appeared. I'd had problems connecting the device to the router using WiFi and eventually resolved these, that thereby facilitating the internet connection you mention and duly producing the relevant pages. The mist is gradually clearing! M

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Yes, the majority of apps are just shortcuts to servers on the Net, designed for a mobile screen & saving you messing about remembering URLs.

I say most. The exceptions are apps that work entirely on your mobile, e.g. a clock or calculator.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.