Make your house a smart home - with help from EE
Highlighted
by elverdiblanco Established Contributor
Established Contributor

HTC U12+ WiFi calling

I've just taken delivery of an HTC U12+ but there don't appear to be any options to enable WiFi calling even though the phone supports VoLTE and WiFi calling.

The WiFi calling help pages state that the HTC 10, U11 and U11 Life all support WiFi calling even when the phones are bought from other retailers. As EE are not (yet?) selling the U12+ I had to get it directly from HTC. It would seem bizarre that the three phones mentioned support WiFi calling but not the latest model especially when this is a native Android feature. I contacted EE customer service and they reset the WiFi calling option on my SIM but this made no difference. I've been using WiFi calling on my HTC 10 for the past 2 years with no issues with the same SIM. WiFi calling is a must where I am because the network coverage is hopeless (on all networks not just EE). If I can't get it working the phone will have to go back as it will be of no use and that would be a real shame as it is a great device.

I've seen posts on other forums where people on EE have WiFi calling working on a OnePlus 5/6, they're not supplied by EE either, nor is it on the list of phones here https://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/getting-started-and-upgrading/using-your-phone-features/how-do-i-use-... and I'm assuming that it works on those phones because it is a standard Android feature, so if that's the case why not the U12+?

Any advice most welcome!

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by
EE Community Support Team
Solution

Re: HTC U12+ WiFi calling

Hi @mikehtcuser,

Thanks for visiting the EE Community.

Sorry, the U12+ doesn't support EE WiFi Calling at this time.

Please see EE WiFi Calling: All you need to know for a list of supported phones.

James

36 REPLIES
by

Hi @elverdiblanco,

Welcome to the EE Community.

Thanks

James

by mikehtcuser Contributor
Contributor

Hi there,

I'm experiencing the exact same issues. Have had an EE pay monthly contract previously using a HTC One M8. I then purchased a HTC 10 direct from HTC and Under Call -> Enhanced Communications -> WiFi Calling is an option (running Android 8.0). This allows you to force WiFi Calling for every call and it has worked perfectly for the past two years.

I've just purchased a HTC U12+ again direct from HTC and also running Android 8.0. WiFi Calling is not listed as an option under Call settings. I've sent a message on Twitter and rang EE direct. They do not have this phone in their system yet as it is so new.

The problem I'm having is sometimes the call will connect via WiFi and sometimes via Cellular. You can see this as the WiFi calling symbol appears in the notification bar during a call and not permanently like on the HTC 10. We need the option to permanently turn WiFi calling on which I believe is sent via a text message from EE.

Thanks Mike.

by
Solution

Hi @mikehtcuser,

Thanks for visiting the EE Community.

Please see EE WiFi Calling: All you need to know for a list of supported phones.

James

Established Contributor

@mikehtcuserSo are you saying it will use wifi calling when connected to wifi even though it doesn't show the icon permanently and there is nowhere in the phone settings to turn it on?

Established Contributor

Hi James, can you tell us why it doesn't support wifi calling at this time? The HTC 10 and U11 both support wifi calling regardless of where the phone was purchased so why should the 12 be any different when it is a standard Android feature?

I've also seen reports of Oneplus phones working with wifi calling on EE even though they aren't on the list of supported phones.

Also, when you say 'at this time' does that imply that it will be supported in the future and if so would there be any estimate as to when? Will EE be selling this phone at all?

Thanks,

Steve

Contributor

At the moment it's a complete gamble.

I am connected to a WiFi network and the phone will either connect via WiFi calling or it won't. When it does obviously you get a clear line and when it doesn't I have to go outside to take the call. Very frustrating.

On the HTC 10 if WiFi calling was turned on, the symbol would permanently stay in the notification bar when you were connected to a WiFi network. On the U12+ it only appears in the notification bar when you are on a call that is connected via WiFi

Established Contributor

Yes it works a treat on my 10 and as I said in my opening post coverage where I am is so bad that wifi calling is a must. I'll try putting the SIM back in the 12 and call it from the landline and see what happens.

by

Hi @elverdiblanco,

Sorry, I'm not aware of any plans to release that phone at the moment.

Please register here to be kept up to date with the latest releases from EE.

Thanks

James

Established Contributor

OK thanks for that. Can you explain why it doesn't just work? If (perish the thought) I buy an iPhone and put a wifi enabled SIM in it, it will just work. Why shouldn't it do the same on Android phones when it is a standard Android feature? It would appear that that is the case with the OnePlus 6

by

Hi @elverdiblanco,

It needs to be enabled by the manufacturer in your phones software.

Thanks

James

Established Contributor

Thanks James. The phone specs state that VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling are both features of the phone. I've raised a ticket with HTC to see if they can explain how to get these options enabled.

by

Contributor

I've also raised a ticket with HTC. They are aware of the issue and are looking into it. Not sure if this is a phone or network issue.

Established Contributor

@mikehtcuser Hopefully it is a phone issue and HTC can fix it quickly. It is a cracking phone and I'd hate to send it back but if wifi calling isn't going to work it is no use to me.

Out of curiousity, did your's ship with a European style 2 pin charger as well?

Contributor

Yes phone is awesome likewise WiFi calling is a critical feature now especially as Cellular coverage is usually terrible when indoors.

Keep an eye on the HTC twitter page. Some phones shipped with the Euro charger including mine but they will be sending out a UK charger to those affected automatically. Also the preorder adaptor for 3.5mm is supposed to arrive in a separate package at some point too.

Established Contributor

@mikehtcuser I received the 3.5mm adaptor a few days before the phone. First call to HTC was about the charger and they did say they would be sending a UK style one out.

And at the risk of repeating myself, wifi calling is a must around here because coverage outdoors is almost as bad as indoors.

by des7uk Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Good luck with that. I've had a battle with HTC with the same issue with my U11+ since January..

HTC say its ee responsibility to provision on the network.

In the end HTC acknowledged it's not enabled on the handset.

The support departments of both are woefully inadequate

Contributor

For anyone else reading this thread, I received the UK plug and 3.5mm adaptor after contacting HTC support.

They are still "investigating" the WiFi Calling issue. From the HTC Twitter account you can see that it will be sold direct via various retailers but they are still negotiating contract terms with networks. When I phoned EE support this matches up with them telling me the handset is not on their system at all.

I'm hoping that EE take on the handset for contract sales and then naturally WiFi calling should be fixed. If not then I'll look at changing networks/handset as this is a critical feature that I use everyday and I can't keep walking outside to talk phonecalls it's ridiculous.

Established Contributor

I called HTC on Friday to arrange its return. The operator asked why and I told him that an advertised feature of the phone was not available (wifi calling) and that this was a critical feature for me and one which would have meant not buying the phone if not available. He asked me to let him speak with the developers to see if it could be fixed and promised a call back by Monday at the latest. Well, he has until 4pm on Monday to call back with a resolution otherwise I'll be calling again to return it and this time there will be no putting it off.

If I have to do that it will be a real shame because it looks like a great device but since I received it on 27th June it has been in its box most of the time, I don't want it suffering any damage if it is going back and without wifi calling it is no use to me.

I'll happily buy the phone again if EE stock it and wifi calling works or if HTC send out a software update that allows wifi calling to be enabled. Otherwise I'll wait and see what the specs and prices are like for the Pixel 3 and depending on those either get one or perhaps a OnePlus 6 which by all accounts works with EE wifi calling.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.