by Dog121 Investigator
Investigator

Google security updates p20 Pro

why is it that Google push out security updates every month like clockwork but we never receive them and if we do we are always at least 4 months behind I have a Huawie p20 Pro no security updates in over 3 months as for the software updates hauwei are constantly pushing these out to the phones but we still don't get them ...I've spoken to huawei regarding the software updates I can tell you most European devices are well ahead in software updates and security patches.. EE is meant to be the best mobile provider according to their statistics..but Ur not providing me with the security that my phone requires leaving it open to security hacks...

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor
Solution

Re: Google security updates p20 Pro

the problem with huawei, they are blaming the network operators regarding the delay in the updates, but the network operators are blaming huawei.

for record the C782 models have the same firmware on them as they do for Three, O2 and certain Vodafone units (a lot of VF users have the C432 model which is receiving updates).

According to Huawei, the C782 is a modified version of the firmware which was requested by the network operators and thus the reason we are behind on the updates as all operators have to agreed on the update, if they don't we don't get the update.

The devices sold in some resellers in the UK have the C782 model and the device rebrands and installs certain applications based on the first sim you insert, so they are all the same C782 unit, EE doesn't have a specific update different to Three.

If you notice when the update is released all devices running the UK firmware whether on Three, O2, Vodafone all get the same update.

This is one of the reasons why I've now ditched my Mate 10 Pro and P20 Pro due to the lack of security updates and bugfixes (the mate 10 pro has just received its first update in 6 months which resolves issues and also includes security udpate, so how much longer could we be waiting for the next updates)

Overall last Huawei device I'll ever purchase either in or out of contract, due to this issue, when you use NFC and BYOD you need to upto date security applied, not something that is 3+ months out of date and may contain breaches that are released in a later update.

IMO if you want guaranteed updates then top two choices for devices are Google Pixel and iPhone

14 REPLIES 14
by Legend
Legend

Hi @Dog121

When your EE device is due to be updated then your device will tell you. 

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Dog121 Investigator
Investigator

Are you serious ...do u think we are idiots..u are stating the obvious..yes my phone will tell me when I have a update.. that wasn't the question ..the question was why do I not get critical security updates every month like Iam supposed to ...

by Legend
Legend

@Dog121

Because you are running EE version of Android on your device. Try searching the forum as there are hundreds of threads like this and explaining why you don't receive updates the same time as OEM. 

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Dog121 Investigator
Investigator

I'm running a EE version of Android..I'm actually using huawei version of Android 8.1 with the **** that ee put on all there devices ..we all know that the manufacturer provdies the software to the carrier's for them to stick all there bloatware on the devices..I just want an answer to why they don't provide proper security updates like they're supposed to..

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Dog121,

Welcome to the EE Community.

Which Android security patch is your phone on?

The latest patch made available for the EE version of your phone by the manufacturer is September's.

As soon as any new software is made available, Huawei will send a notification to your phone.

Thanks

James

by Dog121 Investigator
Investigator

Ihave firmware 131.which is July security patch.... according to hauwei there are 132,133,159,161..

161 is the latest with Novembers security patches I've spoken to Huawei regarding this and they say that all the security patches are sent to the carrier's for them to push out to the handsets..so my device is 4 months behind..

by
EE Community Support Team

Thanks for confirming @Dog121

You are not on the latest firmware available for your handset.

Have you tried checking manually for updates? To do this open Settings>System>System update.

James

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor
Solution

the problem with huawei, they are blaming the network operators regarding the delay in the updates, but the network operators are blaming huawei.

for record the C782 models have the same firmware on them as they do for Three, O2 and certain Vodafone units (a lot of VF users have the C432 model which is receiving updates).

According to Huawei, the C782 is a modified version of the firmware which was requested by the network operators and thus the reason we are behind on the updates as all operators have to agreed on the update, if they don't we don't get the update.

The devices sold in some resellers in the UK have the C782 model and the device rebrands and installs certain applications based on the first sim you insert, so they are all the same C782 unit, EE doesn't have a specific update different to Three.

If you notice when the update is released all devices running the UK firmware whether on Three, O2, Vodafone all get the same update.

This is one of the reasons why I've now ditched my Mate 10 Pro and P20 Pro due to the lack of security updates and bugfixes (the mate 10 pro has just received its first update in 6 months which resolves issues and also includes security udpate, so how much longer could we be waiting for the next updates)

Overall last Huawei device I'll ever purchase either in or out of contract, due to this issue, when you use NFC and BYOD you need to upto date security applied, not something that is 3+ months out of date and may contain breaches that are released in a later update.

IMO if you want guaranteed updates then top two choices for devices are Google Pixel and iPhone

by Dog121 Investigator
Investigator

Thanks for your reply seems u have hit the nail on the head..kinda funny this morning received an ota for security patches for October.. after being told by certain erhm won't mention any name's that there aren't any recent updates available for my p20 Pro.. I can still see on firmware finder that there is still one more security patch 161. For November perhaps we will be lucky enough  to receive this by march....

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@Dog121 wrote:

Thanks for your reply seems u have hit the nail on the head..kinda funny this morning received an ota for security patches for October.. after being told by certain erhm won't mention any name's that there aren't any recent updates available for my p20 Pro.. I can still see on firmware finder that there is still one more security patch 161. For November perhaps we will be lucky enough  to receive this by march....

on top of this the single sim p20 pro (CLT-L09) is receiving later updates than the dual sim p20 pro (CLT-L29)

by kurtph1969 Established Contributor
Established Contributor

@Northerner wrote:

Hi @Dog121

When your EE device is due to be updated then your device will tell you. 

Thanks

Pointless reply. We know this. The discussion is due to the lack of updates not the lack of notifications 😀

Established Contributor

@Dog121 wrote:

why is it that Google push out security updates every month like clockwork but we never receive them and if we do we are always at least 4 months behind I have a Huawie p20 Pro no security updates in over 3 months as for the software updates hauwei are constantly pushing these out to the phones but we still don't get them ...I've spoken to huawei regarding the software updates I can tell you most European devices are well ahead in software updates and security patches.. EE is meant to be the best mobile provider according to their statistics..but Ur not providing me with the security that my phone requires leaving it open to security hacks...

My last security update is 1st September. Not acceptable for a flagship phone 😠

Established Contributor

I got the update today to 8.1.0.159 but it's still not EMUI 9 😢

Established Contributor

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.