by KdK Investigator
Investigator

Google Pixel 2 XL update

Hello I just recieved my Google Pixel 2 XL yesterday and I am wondering how to download the update Google released to help fix the display issues? I have read on a few websites that carries must approve updates before we get them so is there any news as to when we may get the update or how to do the update?

The reason I ask is because my screen after just one day seems to have lost its vibrance already.

12 REPLIES 12
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Re: Google Pixel 2 XL update

Hello @KdK,

Welcome to the community,

You will have to make sure that you have automatic updates on and wait until it is available to download. 

Unfortunately there is no way of getting it, other than waiting until you see the automatic update.

Have you spoken to technical support, as there could bee a fault with your phone? You have only had it one day, so if it is faulty, you will get it replaced with a brand new one, but EE will have to check it out first before they can send the replacement, if that is the case.

by KdK Investigator
Investigator

I havent spoke to them yet as I have just been reading around the internet about the issue and that Google released an update to fix the issue, but for some reason I cant get that update until EE approve the update. Maybe I should call tech though as for it happening literally less than a day of having it, it could be an actual fault with the phone. Thanks for the reply 🙂

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@KdK Thank you for your reply, always a good thing to ring EE customer service, as that is what they are there for and may be able to give you an answer, as to whether the update would help or whether the phone is faulty. Let me know how you get on, hope you get it sorted.

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Pleeeeease tell me the issue of having an EE adjusted firmware is not delaying updates to Pixel phones, if it is nowhere is safe for us android users.

Also if it is forget about getting timely updates and any sort of information about the updates and time frames.  

Simply read this "We have no dates for this your device will have a notification when this is available" every time you feel like asking.

by pwwhitehead Established Contributor
Established Contributor

The Pixel 2 devices get updates directly from Google. My Pixel 2, not the XL, received the November security patch which also included updates to address the screen and intermittent noise. I received this letter the same day it was released by Google. Try a check for updates in your settings the device my update, if not this will be pushed out by Google.

So you don't have to wait for EE they have no control over updates.

by KdK Investigator
Investigator

That's not correct. I spoke to them today and they told me they check the updates before allowing their customers to download it. So EE do have control over it, and thats a much better system than what say Apple do. They just release an update then fix issues after, atleast with these the carrier does tests to make sure they are ok with everything on their network and their customers devices.

Established Contributor

I also got confusing advice from EE regarding Pixel updates. One advisor stated EE had qualify control over updates. Another stated that Pixel are the same as Apple devices. Pixel are stock Android and apparently Google control the pushing out of updates. As I stated my device received the November update the same day it was announced by Google. 

Can't believe that EE could fleck the software update and push this to my device the same day Google announced the software for release to devices.

So who knows but I suspect Google control the updates.

Another point on the Google site for Pixel devices they state that devices provided and locked to EE will be unlocked by Google after 2 yes, so they have control over the device.

Only providing you with what happened on my device and the facts on the Google Pixel website.

by KdK Investigator
Investigator

I would be more suprised if Google locked the phones at all. Phones are generally locked only by carries. I work for a huge company in that industry and we often have to advise our customers that we never lock the devices and they must speak to their carrier to have it unlocked. Nothing seems to be clear when it comes to these phones though. I took mine into an EE store just before and the lady didnt even know what phone it was until I told her, then all the staff were eager to get their hands on it and have a look. So I guess just a case of early days. I am not sure if these XL have just become available to EE customers as I had to pre-order mine so am not sure if I am one of the first on EE to get it. Maybe people have some from a few weeks ago am not sure about that either. Come to think about it am not sure about anything to do with this phone as there doesnt seem to be enough facts out there at the moment with how everything works.

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Wouldn't it be great if EE was just up front about these sort of things and had all the information on the portal so a customer could look at their phone and see what updates where due and when they would be expected.

INFORMATION IS GOOD...

But i'm repeating myself, from 2 years ago....

by Woodhead93 Investigator
Investigator

Take the sim card out, do a factory reset and it will then allow you to download the update and then put your sim card back in.

by KdK Investigator
Investigator

or clear the cache of the google services framework, restart phone and check updates 🙂

Established Contributor

Yes the phone is locked by EE and you can ask EE to unlock the device after 6months for a payment, but the Google Pixel website clearly states the the device will be SIM free after 2 yes.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.