by xDaniellex
Explorer

Galaxy s7 edge overheating

3 months ago my galaxy s7 edge stopped charging fully and got really hot. Then once when charging started making a hissing noise and was really hot. So I got a replacement at the cost of a £100 excess although I am insured. Now my replacement s7 edge is getting too hot after even 5 minutes use. There are times where I am using it on a flat surface and when I go to pick it up it is too hot that I don't even want to pick it up. I have not dropped this one or anything. It also takes forever to charge and it is the same charger that came with my original one. I still have about 10 month left of my contract so if I was to upgrade to a new phone it looks like I would have to pay off what would be left of this contract. I would much rather get a different model on contract than go through problems with this again. I do not want to pay another £100 excess for another as this one has just lasted about 3 month. I can hardly use my s7 and don't feel safe using it as the last one sparked out and now this one is getting so hot after literally minutes of general use. I would rather get a different model of phone but without having to pay out to cancel this contract.

6 REPLIES 6
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Galaxy s7 edge overheating

@xDaniellex   Have you made contact with Samsung about this as you have a 2 year warranty.  

Also are you allowing apps to run in the background if you are these will use battery power and the more power is  consumed by lots of apps running in the background the hotter the device will get.  

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Who did you pay this £100 excess to?

I think you have been had by your insurance company as this should have been resolved under warranty free of charge.

EE or Samsung would have sorted this for you.

Samsung devices come with 2 years warranty.

A new battery costs less than £100 anyway.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by
EE Community Support Team

Good morning @xDaniellex

Thanks for coming here,

Was the replacement through us?

Have you spoken to Samsung at all?

Hope to hear back from you soon 🙂

by xDaniellex
Explorer

Yes, my first replacement was through EE. A courier came the next day for it and I got my replacement and handed over my old one. The £100 excess was added onto my next bill. That was just about 3 months ago and now the replacement is doing the exact same as my previous one had done before it sparked on charge and stopped working entirely. I have only had the replacement 3 months and I paid the £100 excess for it. I do not want to have to pay another excess for another of the same phones as this one has only went for 3 month. I feel the only way I could get a different model phone through EE would be to pay off what is left of this contract with the s7 edge for an early upgrade, where I had paid the excess to 3 months ago. It's no fault of mine that the phone is doing this as I haven't dropped it, exposed it to anything or damaged it.

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@xDaniellex

You went through the insurance. Why?

This should have been fixed free of charge under warranty.

You need to ring back up to get this fixed under warranty and don't accept it going through insurance.

You can go through Samsung direct.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by
EE Employee

hI @XDaniellex and welcome to the community.

Please do give customer services a call and have a talk with them for your next options.

Please do let us know how you get on.

Many thanks,

Lee

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.