by niroshan Investigator
Investigator

Galaxy s6 nougat update?

There are many reports saying that many networks such as Vodafone and Three in UK started to push android nougat for Samsung Galaxy s6 and s6 edge.

When EE going to roll out nougat update for s6 and s6 edge?

Please don't reply that you don't know. 

13 REPLIES 13
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Re: Galaxy s6 nougat update?

@niroshan They haven't even bothered with the s7 and edge yet I would imagine you will be waiting a long time if it comes at all 

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

It's only been released on Vodafone, not Three

I have Three firmware and still on 6.0.1

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Vodafone have already released the update for the s6 edge but not for the edge+ yet in the UK so you can manually download it if you dont want to wait.

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Morning @niroshan

There's a lot of information on this forum about the issue of delayed updates with EE.

EE finally brought the S6 security up to Jan 2017 after 10 months (last update May 2016).

EE have also confirmed they've been running a process of bundling all software updates into one with an OS update which will of course lead to delays.   A few weeks ago they stated they are changing that policy and Samsung have agreed to work with EE and unbundle the softwares.  It is not confirmed yet if this change came with the last update but i have asked the question.

If so there should be no delay in Nougat, but there seem there is

If not then they have not made the change they stated they would

As you can see the update policy is a mess with all android devices and i'm pushing for a change including a page listing all the devices and a time line of progress for their updates.  Would this help you and give an answer to your question?  Would you prefer this to a generic update stating you phone will let you know when you have the update?

Mark

by Oberoth

Over 4 weeks on and still nothing and no EE rep bothered to comment, what a company!

Loads of countries have Nougat now, Vodafone UK for almost a month:

https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/database/SM-G920F/

I might just download Vodafone's for now and then in 6-12 months when EE release it update to theirs.

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Things have gone quiet on the information front.  I've chased for an update on the issues i've raised and heard nothing back as yet.

We still have 

Delay in updates across all devices

Delay in security updates across all devices.

Samsung and EE agree to split out OS and security updates, is this in new builds eg S7 and S8

EE Harrier has no support at all and no updates at all

P9 Huawei behind on all updates and current firmware is flawed 

Suggestions for improvements of update announcements 

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

BTU (Samsung own firmware) is not even released to Nougat.

Vodafones firmware might not work on your EE phone as its partition size might be bigger so your EE phone may not allo it. 

This would end up bricking your phone useless.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@BrendonH wrote:

BTU (Samsung own firmware) is not even released to Nougat.

Vodafones firmware might not work on your EE phone as its partition size might be bigger so your EE phone may not allo it. 

This would end up bricking your phone useless.

They would need to find an associated PIT file to enable repartition.   Not entirely impossible but may as well just wait for BTU.  It cant be that far away now... 

by Mushton99
Explorer

I posted this on another thread as well, but today my friend, who is on 02, got his Samsung S6 nougat update. Hopefully we will soon be joining 02, Vodafone and whoever else now has Nougat on their S6.

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

O2 branded firmware is not out yet according to sammobile.  Your mate must have an unbranded BTU handset.  This firmware was released earlier this week.   You can get that firmware on EE if you have an unbranded handset.  I know, I got it!  😄

O2 is NOT ahead of EE on Nougat.   Yet.  

So far only Unbranded UK, Unbranded Ireland and Vodaphone have the update..   No other UK carrier has it on their branded handsets. 

by docpaul Investigator
Investigator

According to SamMobile, as of Monday 21st, O2 now have Android 7.0.

The only carriers not offering 7.0 are now H3G and EE.

Come on EE - I know you can do it...

by mroebuck Investigator
Investigator

Works without issue, been using it for many weeks!

by Yellowmatic Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Just received it today! 

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.