by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Galaxy S9 and S9+ a community stars insight

So As a Community Star I was very lucky and indeed honoured to be invited to an EE exclusive event in London on the 9th of February.

This was a top secret event and was all very hush hush but I was given a complete session by a Samsung rep on the s9 and s9+ and yes I even got my own device to play with whilst I was there and I have to say it blew me away!!!

The 2 main things that made it stand out for me were the cameras and the stereo speakers.

Now I know stereo speakers are nothing new and the Samsung rep was open to criticism and when he asked what do you think and I said about time he understood completely.

The cameras blew me away; the slo mo is incredible and the moving aperture is excellent it’s also the worlds first smartphone with a f 1.5 so is incredible for low light performance.

They have now combined facial recognition and iris scanning which is super fast and secure for unlocking the device and of course it still has the fingerprint sensor which has been moved further towards the middle of the phone. It still could have been more separate from the camera in my opinion but it is much more usable now without the risk of smudging the camera lens.

And of course one of the other main things that still really matters to me is the headphone jack and it’s still there, which I admire considering lots of other flagships have taken it away for what seems like their own reasons.

The S9+ comes with 128gb as standard which I think is a great touch and this can be expanded by up to a further 400gb micro sd should you need it.

We had great fun playing with the AR emojis (more on that below).

With the new Samsung Galaxy S9, you can turn your selfie into an emoji and watch your messaging come alive. You can literally make an animated version of yourself that recreates your movements and expressions. Not only that, you can also customise your emoji with different hairstyles, glasses and even clothes. After creating your animation, you can send it as a GIF or PNG for free using your favourite messaging app, such as WhatsApp or Messenger using mobile data. (Don't forget you may be charged if you send it as a MMS message over your mobile network.)

AAEE2FAC-813F-45D2-ADD6-1F45D0B59760.png

So Great thanks to @TiffJ for inviting me and many thanks to @Imrana_K and @sarah_mc for welcoming me and showing me round and keeping me company.

Any questions feel free to ask

Thanks

Damien

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
7 REPLIES
by EE Community Team
EE Community Team

Re: Galaxy S9 and S9+ a community stars insight

@Damienw1 it was lovely to meet you! Thanks for attending, we're so glad you enjoyed it!

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

It's really great that EE reward star community members with such perks!

Now my question... I know you only had a chance to see the S9/S9+ for only a short amount of time, but... was battery life mentioned at all?

There is currently an issue being brought to the open whereby, briefly put, Samsung seems to be testing some CPU modes on the Exynos version of the S9, which results in very disappointing battery life, even less compared to the S8.

Lots of people mentioning it online.

I wouldn't think it would have been mentioned in a Samsung presentation, but wondering if you have heard anything about it.

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Hi @DonDino Thanks for your comments.

It wasnt mentioned but it was asked and basically we were told it's exactly the same as the s8 and s8 plus respectively. 

I have seen some of the comments online but I now have the s9 plus and in my honest opinion the battery lasts as long as it did on my note 8. 

I personally don't have an issue with battery life however I am careful and don't have Bluetooth and location on unless I need them. 

Other than that I'm running at max with qhd resolution and always on display on etc. 

Thanks 

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
by Bellyman Established Contributor
Established Contributor

This is one of the issues i have with EE.

Certain forum members are treated in a way a bias viewpoint is presented.

EE then reacts to anything and everything these members post and uses their knowledge as their own. When they fail to provide an answer the issue is ignored and then lost in the mess of the forum. Or EE provides a generic update and if challenged or further information requested its greeted with silence until the customer moves on frustrated. If as you say "lots of people mentioning it online" and its an issue to you with the EE provided device it shouldn't be a problem to ask for it to be looked into and an answer provided.  This has been going on for years and there is no reason for it. It's a choice to not improve.

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Thanks @Damienw1 that's good to know. 

I am always of the view that - I'm buying a top-of-the-range device, I should be able to use all its features without having to plug it in every few hours, so I do keep Bluetooth (links up to car and home speakers etc automatically) and location (lots of stuff I do use it, would be a hassle to turn it on and off all the time) on all the time.

At the same time I know that bluetooth and location in themselves are not battery-drainers, unless something else is using them (e.g. if you have Google Now/feed turned on, or Location History, and it scans your location every 3 minutes, that will burn it away), so that's not a problem.

Glad to hear you are finding the battery life to be fine, it gives me some hope for my next upgrade date and puts the S9 back on the table...!

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Hi @Bellyman, well it's a situation that builds up - you post a lot of helpful stuff, you become a star, you get perks. Nothing wrong there, as you've proven you can and do help.

Of course, you may be right in that you might expect a certain bias from a person, say, who was invited to a Samsung event - they probably wouldn't bash Samsung? Or if they did, EE wouldn't publish it as such (it might just be a normal forum post)? I don't know how it would work.

EE, as any other network, don't know very much. Look at the countless of times that users have reported issues or observations about devices or network behaviour that EE had no clue about, and other users confirmed and/or helped solve the situation. 

Of course EE will take that knowledge and incorporate it into theirs - they had better do that, in order to improve their customer support!

Sometimes it doesn't quite work and you get issues where everybody knows what's going on but EE staff will deny it or plead ignorance. But I would like to think a lot of the time EE learns from what we all say and do here.

by Bellyman Established Contributor
Established Contributor

We hope a business learns and seeks to improve a service but it seems EE simply don't want to and make a choice to actively ignore its users and feedback.

We've seen numerous occasions that show this and even today a thread was committed on that started in 2015.  Nothing has changed and i would like everyone affected by it to speak up and say It has to. Why wouldn't you.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.